User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #16
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
Scotts mount -- watch your handlebars!

The Scotts bar mount does not angle back as far as the KTM mount, so the bars/handguards end up closer to the windscreen. I suppose it's not a problem if you're using the stock KTM bars, but it is for me since I changed to ProTapers with less sweep (personal preference to improve wrist position). When I installed the Scotts triple clamp/bar mount, I had to cut off the lower corners of my fairing to allow full sweep of the handlebars.

Just something to be aware of...
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #17
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
we are working on a design right now, that uses the stock 950 tripple, with a scotts damper.

If there is interest, that will encourage us to get after it.

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
goldfinger
goldfinger

Oddometer: 192
The thing I liked about using the Scotts triple was that it raised the bars to a more comfortable level.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
SGB
Learning Always

Oddometer: 259
Emig

I have a Scotts on the 525 and Emig on the 990. I went Emig on the big one because it was easy to do business with them from far away and the stuff they make fits well and works well. Looking at the product only, I would buy any of the 2.

But mounting directly onto the stock clamp is not so simple, you HAVE to get the alignment of the damper and the steering head 100%, otherwise you are wasting your time. I got it right, but not very elegant, then went for the Emig top clamp and damper.

And when you hit the REAL sand, every penny is worth it!!

www.countrytrax.co.za
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #20
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Talking

Thanks for all this great input. Really appreciate it.

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #21
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
SGB, was that Namibia?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #22
SGB
Learning Always

Oddometer: 259
Namib

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
SGB, was that Namibia?
Yes, Namib desert - what a blast!
www.countrytrax.co.za
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Tripe Clamps

Scott,
as you know, I have the tripe from 'migs.
V. happy with it especially after Pyn gave me a tip or two.
Very schmany fancy.
Scott's is tripe is tried and trusted. I have used them on my 660 and various CR500 and KTM 550. Sold that unit to a local who still runs it on his 640 Adventure and it's bout 8 years old.
For where you are and what you plan to do both will be fine.
I would post a want add in the forum and see what shows up.
Start with the Scott item perhaps as they are more of a commodity.
I am retro fitting a Scott to my 2002 VOR530.
H
Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #24
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Nicol
Scott,
as you know, I have the tripe from 'migs.
V. happy with it especially after Pyn gave me a tip or two.
Very schmany fancy.
Scott's is tripe is tried and trusted. I have used them on my 660 and various CR500 and KTM 550. Sold that unit to a local who still runs it on his 640 Adventure and it's bout 8 years old.
For where you are and what you plan to do both will be fine.
I would post a want add in the forum and see what shows up.
Start with the Scott item perhaps as they are more of a commodity.
I am retro fitting a Scott to my 2002 VOR530.
H
I ordered the scott top clamp to fit up my Ohlins damperner which I already had. There is no substitute IMO...
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #25
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,184
I've had them all. At least a dozen Scotts - great product, they set the standard. GPR's are very well made, but don't offer a free-to-center functionality which I would consider manditory for high speed off-road use. I've never used the Emig unit, but I do have a few of their triple clamps. Top quality stuff and very nice people to work with.

If all you want is something to clean-up a little shimmy in your adventure bike, any one of these will work fine. If you plan on riding competitively, you can't beat the RTT. No question about it... the rapid on-off remote can save your ass. The GPR V3 with remote works well, but requires you to let go of the left grip to make adjustments. In times of need, this just isn't always an option. But hitting a technical incline with your damper setting too high isn't much of an option either.

If you don't ride aggressively, get the Scotts. It works great and will last you years. You can even take if from bike to bike if you choose.

www.powercellperformance.com

PowerCell screwed with this post 10-04-2006 at 03:16 PM
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #26
goldfinger
goldfinger

Powercell I do agree the remote on/off switch on the RTT is a great,I loved mine when I had it,it worked well looked trick but would always leak(I went through three of them in one year) if they have fixed the problem with the seals I would highly recommend one.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #27
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger
Powercell I do agree the remote on/off switch on the RTT is a great,I loved mine when I had it,it worked well looked trick but would always leak(I went through three of them in one year) if they have fixed the problem with the seals I would highly recommend one.

I've had several through the years. I've never had one leak, but I did notice that they changed hose connection styles about 2 years ago. My new ones are heavily abused, but never spill a drop.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #28
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb This has been extremely helpful

Interesting feedback on the RTT. We have one agin it and fer it.

Anybody else care to chime in? Anybody know if the leaking deal was a one-off or have they improved the device?

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #29
goldfinger
goldfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
Interesting feedback on the RTT. We have one agin it and fer it.

Anybody else care to chime in? Anybody know if the leaking deal was a one-off or have they improved the device?

The leaking wasn't a one off,like I said three that i had leaked(one had leaked most it's oil without being fitted) everone else I know who has one has had the same problems.RTT seem to recognise the problem and are fixing it from what Iv'e been told,it's not the remote lines that are the problem it's the large O ring that seals the unit,like I said before I really liked the unit and RTT seem to be a great company that had no probs with a replacment faulty goods but three was enough for me.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I'm a bit intrigued why folks choose the Emig or similar setup and similarly I suppose, how firms like this stay in business given their seemingly exhorbitant pricing levels. I suppose part of it is the "bling factor" of fancy anodized parts. Maybe its the option of 20mm offset clamps that slightly reduce trail for more nimble low speed manueverability. And maybe its just folks spending $$, ignorant of fact that that there are many solutions available to solve any supposed real handling problems with their machines for far less $$.

The "bling factor" certainly has no substitute for those seeking such a look but i wonder if those consumers are aware how quickly certain anodized colors will fade...reds and oranges are among the worst, they will fade to some shade of pink within 6 months.

The 20mm offset may offer some VERY slightly perceptable gain in manueverability at low speed and even some turn-in speed on high speed tarmac although it will also tend to feel more vague and unstable when turning at higher speeds and be more sensitive to road imperfections. The argument of course could be made that a steering damper will largely negate these negatives, except for loss in feel, however the exact same gains could be made by raising rear ride height and/or raising forks in clamps thus slightly steepening rake or castor angle. Raising forks in clamps however costs nada $$ but doesn't come with any shiny parts either.

I guess most alarming of all is the simple fact that the most race proven, durable, bomb-proof and functional damper available is in fact the LOWEST cost solution. Of course its a solution to a "problem" that does not exist unless you are riding the 950 in deep sand or very wet, sticky mud. At least imo. FWIW, I am going to install an adapter to fit an Ohlins/Scotts damper from my 300EXC onto my 950 because I have struggled with bike in deep sand and especially in heavy clay mud in the Yukatan. I'll however be spending likely under $200 and will hopefully be able to purchase the mount in stock matte silver finish. I'll also have the tower welded to frame, I simply do not trust a clamp-on tower design and know Scott's recommends welded tower over clamp-on whenever possible. We have Cr-Mo steel frames which makes welded towers very possible. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote