Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #31
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
I guess most alarming of all is the simple fact that the most race proven, durable, bomb-proof and functional damper available is in fact the LOWEST cost solution.

Scotts Bolt-On kit (includes required top clamp) = $699.95

RTT Kit with Remote and Integrated top clamp = $699.00

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #32
GCRad1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Can we get some more images from all who have dampeners on there 950adv's??? PLEASE!!!
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #33
dozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
Scotts Bolt-On kit (includes required top clamp) = $699.95

RTT Kit with Remote and Integrated top clamp = $699.00
Emig
KIT # 2 18mm Offset
  • Top Triple Clamp - Rubber Mounted or Solid Mounted
  • Key Switch Holder
  • Frame Mounted Stabilizer Post
  • Under-The Bar Stabilizer Mounting (2.70" or optional 3.25")
  • Available in Shiny - Orange - Black
Complete Kit with Revolution I or II Steering Stabilizer - Kit Price
$655($20 Discount)
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #34
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Excuse my ignorance but what do you guys need steering dampeners for? I have been riding dirtbikes for 30yrs and really don't understand what the dampener does. I have had my 950 for 3 months and have put 5000, offroad miles on it. Also have ridden the dunes in my area a couple of times with the 950. This is not a joke. I really don't know anything about this topic. Please help me to understand.

Thanks.
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #35
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg
Excuse my ignorance but what do you guys need steering dampeners for? I have been riding dirtbikes for 30yrs and really don't understand what the dampener does. I have had my 950 for 3 months and have put 5000, offroad miles on it. Also have ridden the dunes in my area a couple of times with the 950. This is not a joke. I really don't know anything about this topic. Please help me to understand.

Thanks.
I've been riding and racing motorcycles in the dirt and on pavement for 45 years, and can appreciate the benefits of a good steering damper. You really won't notice the need with the 950 under most situations. Unlike some folks on the forum, I don't get any decel wobble or other aboritions of handling with my LC8 under "normal" circumstances. However, when the 950 is pushed hard (especially with the OEM fork springs and offset) over a series of horizontal undulations, it will start a rather horiffic oscillation that quickly develops into quite the "tank slapper" unless quick action is taken. Reminds me much of the tank slappers I used to get on my '69 CZ 250 under similar circumstances (many a CZ rider learned of that trait the hard way with a busted collar bone after being ejected over the bars at speed ). Little bike handled impeccably, except for that Unfortunately, we didn't have SD's in those early days of racing motocross and desert and had to just "deal with it" as best we could

Also, in deep silt and sand, the damper makes a huge difference in how easily the big Katoom tracks straight with little effort. Great help when WFO on boulders also. The built in hi-speed damping circuit in GPR and Scotts units takes much of the excitement out of hitting rocks, roots, etc.

If you're a "putter", you'll likely never need, nor notice the benefits of a steering damper, but if you like to ride any bike at the limits of its capabilities, you'll soon appreciate its value.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 10-25-2007 at 08:12 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #36
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
Scotts

I just helped a friend put on his new Scotts upper clamp and stablizer. Looks great and is desighned like the EMIG .
We had to bend part of the steering lock out of the way becouse the upper clamp bolts hit it (the steering lock is still usable however). We also had to trim a little of the plastic cable guide becouse it would rub on the steering lock box. It wasn't too bad; although, some will have a melt down over this .

So, now there is finally a "Scotts" for the 950.

The EMIG still is the only one that offers a change to a 20mm offset (as far as I know).

The "Scotts" is the more race proven stablizer. IMO (gotta love the high speed setting).

IMO,you cant go wrong with any of them. You just have to know whay you want. My 20mm EMIG won't be going anywhere (but down a dirt road as fast as I can).

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #37
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis
I have the Scotts on my 950, I wouldn't use anything else. It is the by far the most adjustable damper and on the 950 you need to dial it in, especially the high-speed damping.

The instructions are simple to follow, takes a couple of hours to install.

JIMMY

What the man said.

I have a Scotts tripleclamp + damper on my 950 as well. The high-speed valve sealed the deal for me as you can dial the thing in so you don't have the restrictive/sluggish feel in the bars, yet still have a damper that will save you if you smack a hidden rock or something. Between that & Precision Concepts going through the suspension the bike is a completely new machine to me. LR & Scot Harden have them on their bikes as well ... not to mention most of the Dakar bikes I've seen. Installation is as simple as putting on a new top tripleclamp. The bar risers on the tripleclamp provide for a far better riding position as well.

The RTT is a very clean setup indeed ... however after blowing up four of them over the course of less than one year, I decided against getting a 5th...
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #38
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
The EMIG still is the only one that offers a change to a 20mm offset (as far as I know).
The RTT now has a 20mm offset option...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #39
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 762
Personal attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

A hydraulic stabalizer isn't a woman, just a damper. I put mine on two years ago, never gave it a second thought. What kind of attention are you looking for?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #40
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
I've been riding and racing motorcycles in the dirt and on pavement for 45 years, and can appreciate the benefits of a good steering dampner. You really won't notice the need with the 950 under most situations. Unlike some folks on the forum, I don't get any decel wobble or other aboritions of handling with my LC8 under "normal" circumstances. However, when the 950 is pushed hard (especially with the OEM fork springs and offset) over a series of horizontal undulations, it will start a rather horiffic oscillation that quickly develops into quite the "tank slapper" unless quick action is taken. Reminds me much of the tank slappers I used to get on my '69 CZ 250 under similar circumstances (many a CZ rider learned of that trait the hard way with a busted collar bone after being ejected over the bars at speed ). Little bike handled impeccably, except for that Unfortunately, we didn't have SD's in those early days of racing motocross and desert and had to just "deal with it" as best we could

Also, in deep silt and sand, the dampner makes a huge difference in how easily the big Katoom tracks straight with little effort. Great help when WFO on boulders also. The built in hi-speed dampning circuit in GPR and Scotts units takes all of the excitement out of hitting rocks, roots, etc.

If you're a "putter", you'll likely never need, nor notice the benefits of a steering dampner, but if you like to ride any bike at the limits of its capabilities, you'll soon appreciate its value.
-cp
I guess I have learned to ride around or thru such situations. There have been times i was scared that I wouldn't pull it off. In fact maybe a S/D would have saved me from this,
I have sometimes had to hit the gas in order to keep the front end tracking straight in the silt or sand. The problems arise when you find yourself going faster and faster to control the floating sensation in the front. Is this what the S/D does? Does it help keep the front end tracking so you don't have to stay on the gas? I appreciate any and all replies.
Thanks
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #41
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Don't know if one would have helped in your situation. Don't know the facts leading up to the photo. But I do know that I have powered through much more tenuous looking sections with ease due to the GPR damper fitted on my 950. A good knobby tire on the front also does wonders.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 10-25-2007 at 08:14 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #42
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
I have ridden bikes for 40 years. I have had lots of dirt bikes and the last one my 450EXC I decided to get a Scotts. I found that I had become a better rider after this, why? Because the damper does things for you that sometimes you aren't even aware of and your attention is not diverted from the trail. Sometimes you can tackle an obsticle with ease because you can adjust your damper for it. The damper didn't make me a better rider, it made me a less tired rider, a more relaxed rider, a more confident rider in deep sand and whoops, and I would never have a dirt bike with out one again. I guess its time for me to get one for the 950!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #43
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb

The Doctor of Orange (Lyndon) thinks this is the best bet for me given I don't care about having the Emig offset. I think he's right.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

scottr screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 07:59 PM
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #44
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Check with Scotts or BRP About Bolts, etc. Before Installing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
The Doctor of Orange (Lyndon) thinks this is the best bet for me given I don't care about having the Emig offset. I think he's right.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

I have one of these on my scooter and it works fine, but I'd add a small note of caution before buying the item; Scotts Ad states: "The Triple clamp kit includes the Scotts triple clamp with matching anodized barclamp, Scotts steering stabilizer (bolt-on), linkarm, frame bracket, all the necessary hardware and an owners manual."

All's good, except (unless there is a VERY recent change) that the right bar clamp bolt is TOO LONG and when the ASSOCIATED NUT is attached and tightened it is not possible to turn the bars to the left because the (above mentioned) NUT impacts the ignition lock which is welded to the frame tube.

It's not an unsolveable problem; the bolt can be cut off and you can use a "thinner" nut and all works as advertised, but be aware it's not a turnkey system.

When I last checked wth Scotts they said they were "working on it", but didn't have all the correct components ready to ship at that time (late September '06).

One other note: Scotts makes two different "types" of dampers: an off-road version and a street bike ("R") version. The former damps in one direction the latter in two directions. Some folks feel on these heavier bikes (950's) that the "R" (street bike) version works best. Just more food for thought.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #45
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
No question about it... the rapid on-off remote can save your ass. The GPR V3 with remote works well, but requires you to let go of the left grip to make adjustments. In times of need, this just isn't always an option. But hitting a technical incline with your damper setting too high isn't much of an option either.
Why do you need to switch the damper on and off? I've never run into the need, although I don't have a damper on my 950, so I can't speak to that specifically.

On the little bikes, I find a small amount of high speed damping away from center preferable in all situations.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote