Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #61
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
So, Im still not decided whether I need a damper on my 950 or not.

I have never used a damper on a bike before - so to some extent, I dont know what I am missing

I can think of a few occasions where I would have appreciated the high-speed damping in the past - hitting a surprise rock/root/stump has left me with throbbing thumb or wrist.

I havent raced or really ridden in the conditions (sand) where the low-speed damping would have been useful...

So, I am still undecided.

What I am curious about is whether, for this kind of bike, the two-way damping is a better option than just the damp-from-centre setup. Anyone have any feedback on this? Emig seem to recommend the 2-way damping for the big 950's...

Also, I have read reliable opinions (from the likes of gaspipe et al) on the benefit of the 20mm offset. But I really dont know if I am a good enough rider to know the difference. Id definitely like to try that before pulling the trigger. Anyone in the UK have a 20mm offset Emig - and dont mind me taking their bike for a day?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #62
LostDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
It does and it comes with one.

Explain what you mean by "free-to-centre" please.
Was hoping you could explain this better - I would think that it allows the bars to return to centre without resistance??

KTM 950 Adv
KTM 300 exc
LostDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 AM   #63
erider
erider

Oddometer: 479
The Scotts (Ohlins) damper is the most sophisticated of the bunch relative to the hydraulic valving. The damping (hydraulic effect) occurs from the center position (bars facing directly forward - straight line) outward only. For example, going down the road or trail, the damping occurs only when the bars are moved away from the center - or straight line - position. When returning to center, there is no damping effect. This is especially helpful when navigating thru tight enduro sections or rocky sections that tend to 'kick' the bars side to side. The other guys (GPR, Emig, etc) have damping in both directions - which is a simpler hydraulic circuit. The Scotts is also very adjustable - with adjustments possible for sweep (the degree or angle away from center), low speed and high speed circuits. My complaint with the Emig and GPR units is the lack of 'finite' adjustment on the low speed circuit - combined with full damping effect in both directions. Turning the knob one setting on the GPR or Emig results in a dramatic change in damping effect - whereas the Scotts has much more finite control (more incremental) adjustment ability. As for the need of one of these units - look down the Pro Line at any GNCC or off-road event and you won't see a bike without one. I used a Scotts for the first time back in '98 - and won't ride a bike without one now. We did a little test one year on our practice course. Rode one loop with the dampers on - took the damper off and road a second loop. Amazing.
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #64
LostDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by erider
The Scotts (Ohlins) damper is the most sophisticated of the bunch relative to the hydraulic valving. The damping (hydraulic effect) occurs from the center position (bars facing directly forward - straight line) outward only. For example, going down the road or trail, the damping occurs only when the bars are moved away from the center - or straight line - position. When returning to center, there is no damping effect. This is especially helpful when navigating thru tight enduro sections or rocky sections that tend to 'kick' the bars side to side. The other guys (GPR, Emig, etc) have damping in both directions - which is a simpler hydraulic circuit. The Scotts is also very adjustable - with adjustments possible for sweep (the degree or angle away from center), low speed and high speed circuits. My complaint with the Emig and GPR units is the lack of 'finite' adjustment on the low speed circuit - combined with full damping effect in both directions. Turning the knob one setting on the GPR or Emig results in a dramatic change in damping effect - whereas the Scotts has much more finite control (more incremental) adjustment ability. As for the need of one of these units - look down the Pro Line at any GNCC or off-road event and you won't see a bike without one. I used a Scotts for the first time back in '98 - and won't ride a bike without one now. We did a little test one year on our practice course. Rode one loop with the dampers on - took the damper off and road a second loop. Amazing.
Thanks - good explanation.

KTM 950 Adv
KTM 300 exc
LostDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #65
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,844
Emig actually has two types of damper-one that damps returning to center, and one that doesn't. But they still don't have all the separate adjustments of the Scotts.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #66
Ainsley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I wouldent get too hung up on the various technical opinions. In practice on my 525 for racing in the muddy / rutty / rocky UK I just set it to a fair degree of damping - more than 50% of the available damping. Its saved my skin every race and made me faster. Sure, if I was riding a mainly sandy course Id have it more fully on, a flat easy course, less so. But real life is not like that, so I just end up leaving it set at a level Im used to and it ends up making me faster.

For the 990 Im not going to be racing hard, but off road id be glad of some damping. Buy one that you can afford, if your not racing and your not way above the average rider your not going to notice the subtle differences some mention.

However, even an average rider will notice having some damping or not.

As for damping both ways, when Im racing off road I want damping full stop. Flapping bars either way will have me off, or tired out in no time. Racing hard the front wheel is not often in line with the rear.

Buy what you can afford. If you want an hands on experience and your in the UK email me.
Bultaco 205
Hysucat 2x175's
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #67
frunta_sti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
BRP Sub Mount or Scotts Triple Clamp

Hi, after searching many threads here, I still have not make decision on which one to choose. (I am newbie, so i hope I found all the threads related)

I have a 2004, 950 ADV and want to add a steering stabilizer. I have KTM stock handlebars, and I am 6'3' After searching and reading, I settled down to two and want to make a decision. Can any knowledgeable inmate explain the differences and possible benefits of any of the two mentioned? Would I need to change the handlebars, or add raisers with any of the mentioned?
Many thanks.

BRP Sub-Mount kit WITH Scotts Stabilizer for KTM 950/990 ADV
http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop.../275-1091.html

Scotts Triple Clamp/Damper Kit 950/990 Adventure
http://www.ktm-parts.com/STCK950.html
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #68
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by frunta_sti View Post
Hi, after searching many threads here, I still have not make decision on which one to choose. (I am newbie, so i hope I found all the threads related)

I have a 2004, 950 ADV and want to add a steering stabilizer. I have KTM stock handlebars, and I am 6'3' After searching and reading, I settled down to two and want to make a decision. Can any knowledgeable inmate explain the differences and possible benefits of any of the two mentioned? Would I need to change the handlebars, or add raisers with any of the mentioned?
Many thanks.

BRP Sub-Mount kit WITH Scotts Stabilizer for KTM 950/990 ADV
http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop.../275-1091.html

Scotts Triple Clamp/Damper Kit 950/990 Adventure
http://www.ktm-parts.com/STCK950.html
Well, your decision just got easier - those two above are exactly the same
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #69
Motrix
Adventurer

Scotts

I have the scotts top triple clamp and the stabilizer and can tell you it makes a BIG difference, whether its the street or off road.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #70
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Just put the Scott's system on my 990R and one thing you will appreciate is the upward and forward rise in the handlebars the system produces (I believe 20-25mm higher). Gave the bike a whole new feel and with knobbies on the front (which can tend to wander) much greater stability. I believe it to be a useful addition.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #71
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 931
Parts?

Do all dampers on the 9x0 require replacing the top triple? The Emig website doesnt seem very friendly (at least on my Ipad), but the basic price is less than half the price of the Scotts, which includes the triple, as the top clamp mounts are angled on the OEM triple clamp. Anyone done the research on this? What about fitting with HDB handguards?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #72
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
Fits the oem clamp and bars. I haven't tried one yet but it's on my list.
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=86
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=640

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #73
DragonsTailR1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Scotts

I have the triple and stabilizer on my 06 950, it's tits. I have had many high powered bikes, including R1's, etc and this kit is the best I have felt so far. If you are going to spend the money I would get the Scotts damper hands down. Get whatever triple you like best.
DragonsTailR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #74
frunta_sti
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Well, your decision just got easier - those two above are exactly the same
Are you saying the dampers are the same, or are you saying the mounting is the same? Because yes, I could see that stabilizer used are the same, but the mounting option does not look (but the picture might not be as actual as I think).
And if not, than what are differences?

Than As I am 6'3", should I get raiser for any of the two?

BTW, I apologize for my English, not my first language.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #75
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,399
When I get my stabilizer, Ill be getting one of these