User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
mr moto OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
New BMW G650X (merged) threadfest...

i think i will reserve my opinion until i see them in the flesh at intermot on wednesday...
Attached Images

mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,063
Interesting be nice if we could read it- source?
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 585
I wonder if they will keep the computers & ABS off of them and have carbs this time around. Some times technology for the sole sake of being a selling point is a bad thing. The fuel injection on my Buell actually makes the lawn mower motor in it run better than the injection on my F650Gs.
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
Reichegg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The Supermoto in the foreground has definitely ABS, you can see those "ABS-rings" and sensors in the front- and rearbrake. Much more sporty bikes than the current F-singles also, should make some people happy who complain about the weight of their F650gs. Very much Aprilia-styling too, I have heard the rumour that these bikes are build by the Italians...

Reichegg
Reichegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
The text
Quote:
Whoa... what's all this?
A very welcome and largely unexpected addition to the ranks of exciting new BMWs. Designed to provide an attractive way into the whole Beemer thing for younger riders, the trio of new bikes consists of the G650Xmoto Street Moto, the Xcountry Scrambler and Xchallenge Hard Enduro. All are based around an upgraded, 53bhpversionof the 652cc Rotax single-cylinder engine seen in the F650 GS (which remains in the range), in a new steel-tube frame with bolt-on alumunium subframe, lightweight cast swingarm and a fuel tank under the seat.

Claimed weights are low (144-148kg or 317-326lb) and all have chain drive, 45mm upside-down forks and normal brakes: no odd front suspension or belt drive here. Each has its own specific brakes, wheels and suspension set-up to suit the road, multi-purpose and off-road guises.

Why does it look familiar?
Ah... you think you recognise the Xmoto Street Moto? If you're thinking Aprilia Pegaso Strada, then well spotted - the new bikes were developed in cahoots with Aprilia, and will be knocked out by their factory in Italy. As well as a clear styling and colour links to the XT660-powered Strada, the Xmoto shares the same 17in cast wheels and Brembo four-pot front brake. The road bike has firmer damping and less suspension travel than the others, sharper geometry thanks to the smaller front rim, and a KTM Duke-style headlight cowl.

The naked Xcountry is designed to have the dual purpose look and ability of fifties and sixties scramblers, and differs by having 19in front and 17in rear wire wheels with semi-knobbly tyres, softer suspension with a rear ride-height adjuster and a two-pot front brake. And the start Xchallenge Hard Enduro is, as the name clearly suggests, a full-on trail bike with 21in and 18in wheels,long travel, softer forks with different spring rates, and hte fancy air rear shock used on the mighty HP2 enduro. It also wears flexible plastics to cope with spills, has lower overall gearing and a lightweight wave front disc.

Any optional extras?
We could fill the mag: there's everything from ABS and pillion footpegs to crash pads, luggage and Akrapovic exhausts.

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Thanks for the info. Looks like a cool platform.
Id like to see the more aggressive enduro version up close.
Probably the lightest of the 3 @ 317. Only about 10lbs more then the TE610.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
rallybug
Local Yokel

And roughly the same bhp too, although the BMW wins on torque (44lbft against 38.3lbft).

My Ride Reports
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,063
Thumb

Ta Rallybug
Appreciate the words - keen to know more about the enduro version - healthy stats.
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #9
rallybug
Local Yokel

Just sent a PM to guy on here who works for a dealer in the UK, asking when we are likely to see more information Probably not until the 11th when Intermot officially opens, but you never know when BMW will release details.

My Ride Reports
Old 10-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #10
barbasma
100% CAROTONE

Oddometer: 1,821
simply UGLY...

seems like a CINESE bike... YOSUNG... or KYMCO....
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...

barbasma screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 06:29 AM
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #11
rallybug
Local Yokel

I'm withholding judgement until I see more pictures or in the flesh - I can see KTM influences in some of the designs, but I'd prefer to see them in real life before dismissing them.

My Ride Reports
Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Mr. Moto - take pictures and report back. Thanks...
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
Eek New BMW G650X Thumper !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spotted this in Thumpertalk:

Here's all I've got:

A very welcome and largely unexpected addition to the ranks of exciting new BMWs. Designed to provide an attractive way into the whole Beemer thing for younger riders, the trio of new bikes consists of the G650Xmoto Street Moto, the Xcountry Scrambler and Xchallenge Hard Enduro. All are based around an upgraded, 53bhp version of the 652cc Rotax single-cylinder engine seen in the F650 GS (which remains in the range), in a new steel-tube frame with bolt-on alumunium subframe, lightweight cast swingarm and a fuel tank under the seat.

Claimed weights are low (144-148kg or 317-326lb) and all have chain drive, 45mm upside-down forks and normal brakes: no odd front suspension or belt drive here. Each has its own specific brakes, wheels and suspension set-up to suit the road, multi-purpose and off-road guises.

Why does it look familiar?

Ah... you think you recognise the Xmoto Street Moto? If you're thinking Aprilia Pegaso Strada, then well spotted - the new bikes were developed in cahoots with Aprilia, and will be knocked out by their factory in Italy. As well as a clear styling and colour links to the XT660-powered Strada, the Xmoto shares the same 17in cast wheels and Brembo four-pot front brake. The road bike has firmer damping and less suspension travel than the others, sharper geometry thanks to the smaller front rim, and a KTM Duke-style headlight cowl.

The naked Xcountry is designed to have the dual purpose look and ability of fifties and sixties scramblers, and differs by having 19in front and 17in rear wire wheels with semi-knobbly tyres, softer suspension with a rear ride-height adjuster and a two-pot front brake.

And the start Xchallenge Hard Enduro is, as the name clearly suggests, a full-on trail bike with 21in and 18in wheels,long travel, softer forks with different spring rates, and hte fancy air rear shock used on the mighty HP2 enduro. It also wears flexible plastics to cope with spills, has lower overall gearing and a lightweight wave front disc.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 05:59 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Nice scoop Yellow Pig!

Give me your best guess on weight for the Enduro.

Direct competitor for the TE610 maybe?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #15
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,510
If this is all for real, and the F800 in several versions also comes to the U.S., it certainly makes Honda look like a bunch of fools, still cranking out the XR650L and calling that a line-up.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote