User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
1966 Ducati Monza Jr. Rebiuld take II

Hi all. New to the forum, but have read many posts. Have been riding all my life and am a non-pro wrencher. Luckily I have some good friends who know much more than I do and allow me to bend their ear, much like the folks do on this site. Last year I was at the Bearded Lady bike show in Minneapolis and spotted a 1966 Ducati Monza Jr sitting in the back of a pickup, and it was for sale. Ends up that the owner was in our local VJMC (vintage Japanese motorcycle club), and had recently passed away. Another member was helping his widow liquidate his bike collection, and the little Ducati had to go. Little was known about the Ducati, but they were selling it as a non-running bike. The paint on the tank and fenders was shiny, but the rest of the bike was fairly cobbled together. The price seemed reasonable and i was looking for a project, so i jumped at it, not knowing exactly what i was going to do with it. I found the posts by DesmoDog on this site and started creating a plan. The bike was too "non-original" to try restoring, so a Cafe bike was in the making. But before I could start throwing too much money at it, I needed to hear it run. Went through all the normal procedures, hooked it to an external fuel supply, fixed some of the wiring that was done incorrectly, and within 30 minutes it was running and it shifted through all 4 gears. Did not ride it as we had it hooked to a fuel stand and the tires were not safe, but at least it ran. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here, I will share them.

BabyDuc screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 08:17 AM
BabyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Nice!
Lets see the pics, use photo hosting site to post like photo bucket.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

Here is a picture of the bike as I found it in the back of a pick-up

Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

In the picture it looks pretty good, but there are a lot of issues, as you would expect. The tank and headlight are Benelli; the wheels, hubs, forks are all Japanese. Here are a couple additional pics taken before I started tearing it down.

BabyDuc screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 03:01 PM
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,473
Nice death trap!

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

Well, before tearing it completely apart I wanted to get a general feel for and shape. Again, with DesmoDog's bike as a model, I decided to go a little more "cafe" and a little less stock. First round of mock-up gave me the general look I wanted. Anything non essential would be removed from the bike. The goal is to have the bike look as stripped down as possible while still being safe an functional. I love the look of these old singles, so I want that massive power plant (yeah, that was a joke) to be the first thing you see when you look at the bike. Started collecting parts, like the new rear shocks you see in this picture, which also lifts the rear a little, which should help make the bike a little easier for a 6' tall rider.

stance
Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

Since I am impatient, the first thing I wanted to dig into was the engine. Since we know that it runs (and actuall sounded really good), it was the exterior condition that needed my attention. The Aluminum all looked like you would expect on a 48 year old bike that had sat in a barn for much of its life. So I spent many hours working and polishing all the covers, and then replaced gaskets and put it all back together. I think it ended up looking pretty good.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,497
Wow!

Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

Dirty
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Great Job

Keep up the great work

Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 45,606
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
That motor turned out great! Can't wait to see the rest!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

The wheels needed a lot of attention. They were from a Yamaha RD200, and like many old bikes, the spokes were shot and the rims and hubs were less than show quality. So, it was time to get them cleaned and shined, then to add new chrome spokes, get them true, and install the new tires/tubes/rim strips. I used the quick spoke remover (cutting wheel), then started polishing the hubs. Once that was done, it was time for assembly. I had never done this before, but it was not that difficult, just time consuming to get them true. Below are some pics of the process, and then temporarily fitting them to the bike. They ended up looking great. For those of you that know this bike, it originally shipped with 16" rims. Hey, it is a small bike. But by swapping those for 18" rims will make the bike much more ridable for an average sized person.

Here is the Front:

And here is the Rear:

Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,321
looking good!

...now me....well i'd cut all that shit off the back of the frame, rigid tail and a nice small tank....then ride it on the EDR..

cafe bike are so....well T.V. for one thing.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
Your aluminum polishing is fantastic. What are you using?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
BabyDuc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Your aluminum polishing is fantastic. What are you using?
Thanks. it depends on the the piece, how big it is and how bad it is. If there are major scratches I use an air sander with 2" twist lock abrasive disc/air tool, but only use the green (finest grit they make, and be careful because you can dig into the aluminum if you use too much pressure). After that, most of the larger pieces i start with 400grit wet/dry sandpaper, move to 600, then to 1,000 grit, until it is completely smooth. To give you an estimate on time, For the side covers of the engine I spent about 60-90 minutes sanding for each piece. Be sure to switch your sandpaper often and keep rinsing it. Dry the piece completely and then use an 8" spiral sewn buffing wheel attached to an 8" bench grinder. You can get different polishing compounds, but the best we found for fine finishes is Porter Cable level 5 High Gloss (it is green). There are some good "how-to" tips on the CaswellPlating web site. As for smaller pieces, or those spots that you cannot get to with your sand paper, I use a Dremmel. My favorite attachment is the Fine Abrasive Buff (512E) to smooth the surface and then the small Felt Polishing Wheels (414) used with the Porter Cable polish. Hope that helps...