Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #1561
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Congrats on the new bike.

Might I suggest the first mod you do be a set of bark buster type guards. Acerbis and Cycra seem to be poplular with the group here. I have Cycra Pro Bend myself...saved my levers at least once so far.
Oni Can you tell me the part numbers for the Cycra Bark buster you installed?

Also has anyone found a set of Acerbis hand guards that will fit the X with out cutting any levers? If you have could you fill me in on Part numbers and names.

I read every page of this Thread and if it was posted I did not see it.

Thanks for any and all help.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #1562
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace

Also has anyone found a set of Acerbis hand guards that will fit the X with out cutting any levers? If you have could you fill me in on Part numbers and names.

Hey Trailace,

Acerbis Multiplo will work without cutting the brake lever IF you have a non ABS bike. My bike has ABS and I had to move my brake lever assembly to fit the bar clamp, which meant I had to cut the lever. But if you have a non ABS bike, you ought to be able to install the Acerbis Multiplo Enduro versions without cutting the lever.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #1563
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
Hey Trailace,

Acerbis Multiplo will work without cutting the brake lever IF you have a non ABS bike. My bike has ABS and I had to move my brake lever assembly to fit the bar clamp, which meant I had to cut the lever. But if you have a non ABS bike, you ought to be able to install the Acerbis Multiplo Enduro versions without cutting the lever.
What mounting kit did you use? Thanks for the reply
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #1564
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
I used the Acerbis Big Bar mounting kit, but their Magura mount kit would work better. Ok, I bought both, and cannibalized parts from both. See my install here.
I got the swivel mount versions to give me more flexibility, but if you have a non ABS bike, the straight mounts would work fine.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #1565
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Sorry dude

Trail Ace

Sorry I don't have the part number...but our bikes have the same bar as the KTM's...Magura. That should help any decent parts guy.

I got the Pro Bend and the fit right? clamp...the one with the pivot...and it fits nice. I will say that you will have to use a piece of old inner tube and cut a small strip for the handlebar expanding bolt. None of the expanding bolts would work right...at the shop I bought them at we tried the one's for Aluminum bars and steel bars, plus some aftermarket one's...and none worked 100%

Wrapped the bolt with a piece of inner tube, jammed it in the bar and it snugged up fine.

I would say to make sure you get the clamp with the pivot as I have a set of Moose handguards on my XR that the clamp isn't guite right, but if I had that pivoting bracket it would be fine. I may get a set of the Cycra's for the XR too. I can see that without that pivot, it would not have fit nicely on the X either.

If you have problems finding the right one, let me know and I will stop by the shop I got them from and get you part numbers.

Mark
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #1566
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Hey Ace,

I've got the Magura kit holding on a set of Acerbis Rally pros on an ABS bike.
I had to remove the balls on the ends of my levers and adjust things a bit, but they work very well.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #1567
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Trail Ace

Sorry I don't have the part number...but our bikes have the same bar as the KTM's...Magura. That should help any decent parts guy.

I got the Pro Bend and the fit right? clamp...the one with the pivot...and it fits nice. I will say that you will have to use a piece of old inner tube and cut a small strip for the handlebar expanding bolt. None of the expanding bolts would work right...at the shop I bought them at we tried the one's for Aluminum bars and steel bars, plus some aftermarket one's...and none worked 100%

Wrapped the bolt with a piece of inner tube, jammed it in the bar and it snugged up fine.

I would say to make sure you get the clamp with the pivot as I have a set of Moose handguards on my XR that the clamp isn't guite right, but if I had that pivoting bracket it would be fine. I may get a set of the Cycra's for the XR too. I can see that without that pivot, it would not have fit nicely on the X either.

If you have problems finding the right one, let me know and I will stop by the shop I got them from and get you part numbers.

Mark
Thanks man, I will go buy the shop tomorrow and see what they have. I have a set of Moose that I was going to try but it does not look like they will fit so I did not open them.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #1568
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:

I put the Cycra Probend on mine as well. I have ABS and didnt need to cut or move anything.

I ordered them from here. http://store.cycraracing.com/cypralha.html

The C-Clamps for 1 1/8 inch bars will work.

Here are some images from my install

http://www.photoglyph.com/Snapshots/cycra/

Doug
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #1569
GX-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
HandGuards & First week on XChallenge

I ordered the Acerbis brush guards (multipro) from Dennis Kirk with the pivot mounting kit, shimmed the throttle end about 3/8 " out and then it worked without cutting off the ends of the levers. The mounting seems solid and I had no issues. The ABS didn't work from day one but seems unrelated to the brush guards.

I took deliverly less than three weeks ago. It was ridden in CO last week where I put on 1200 miles on the bike. The second day out, I ran into the CO Dual Sport Club at the base of Mosquito Pass. What a bunch of nice guys. They invited me to ride with them the rest of the day.

Anyway, one of the guys had an X Challenge too and he chastised me for not cutting off my back fender yet. He warned me to get it done or I would loose it like everyone else. Since I am not one to catch air and suck my license plate under, I figured I would have time to order the TT after my return home. Well, by the next day, fender bracket was cracked from the vibration. There was not a scratch on the license plate or fender. It cracked from the vibration.

The bike was shipped to CA this week and the service manager told me over the phone that the fender should be removed when riding off road. Since I was on pass roads and blacktop that require you to be licensed and street legal, I asked if he was suggesting that BMW wants us to remove the fender when rdiing even though the vehicle is required by law to have a license plate and be street legal. He didn't really answer my questions. That rear fender is really a poor design and I am thinking this should be a warranty item. Any thoughts on the matter?

The TT skidplate was installed too. Some of the guys are installing the rubber mat to the plate to cut down on the noise and mentioned that the mounting bolts will work loose. I couldn't get the mat in time so I installed rubber washers and found after a week, the bolts loosened up on them too.....probably should use locktite when one installs the TT skidplate so you don't loose it.

The TT Tank bag really worked out good. It is sized about right, holds a lot and really didn't interfer when you stand on your pegs.

I did experience a bent rim on the front on the sixth day riding. I never felt I was running that hot and must have hit a rock that flattened it on one side. Clem from BMW Denver looked at it and thought I could continue to ride it the rest of the season and get it repaired at Woody's this winter. I was running around 18 lbs. at the time in the front. Anybody else had problems?

The gas mileage was unbelievable. I don't know if it was the elevation or what but the first fill showed 55 miles per gal. and by mid week, it was running 70-75 miles per gallon.

I took the charcoal filter off on day three. Boy what a big clunky thing. I am taking the bike to Baja and Copper Canyon in October and have been concerned about fuel capacity. The mounting clamps are fairly big for the charcoal canister and I was wondering if you could use them to mount a MSR camping fuel bottle. That would give one about another 12-15 mile range for an emergency. Has anybody tried that?

The dealer replaced the 15 tooth spocket with a 14 tooth before I took deliver. Once out on the trails, I was sure glad since the 15 tooth would have been geared too high. The stock tires were replaced before I took delivery with MT 21. They work pretty good on the pass roads and on blacktop.

I have been riding a DRZ400 S in CO in the past along with the Airhead GS for 9 years. This Xchallenge,although heavier than the DRZ, handles as good, no even better. It had plenty of power. It is a tall bike and with the air suspension, took some getting use to..... but what a great bike.

That's it......sorry if I got too long winded with my 2 cent worth.
GX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #1570
Gremlin
On the Run

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-MAN

That's it......sorry if I got too long winded with my 2 cent worth.

Thx for the post.
Great questions, and im interested in seeing what others have to say.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #1571
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:

Anyway, one of the guys had an X Challenge too and he chastised me for not cutting off my back fender yet. He warned me to get it done or I would loose it like everyone else. Since I am not one to catch air and suck my license plate under, I figured I would have time to order the TT after my return home. Well, by the next day, fender bracket was cracked from the vibration. There was not a scratch on the license plate or fender. It cracked from the vibration.
Rode with a friend who has a GX last weekend.... Hit a pot hole on Gunella pass and POP, fender being dragged by the cable.

I took (broke) mine off on the first ride (catching air). I bolted the plate to the two holes that are below the tail light and added strip LEDs next to the tail light for turn signals. I am using LED license plate bolts for light on the plate so LEO doesnt get all fussy. I will take some pictures and post them.

Quote:
The bike was shipped to CA this week and the service manager told me over the phone that the fender should be removed when riding off road. Since I was on pass roads and blacktop that require you to be licensed and street legal, I asked if he was suggesting that BMW wants us to remove the fender when rdiing even though the vehicle is required by law to have a license plate and be street legal. He didn't really answer my questions. That rear fender is really a poor design and I am thinking this should be a warranty item. Any thoughts on the matter?
They might warranty it, might not. I personally will never run with it again so I dont care.

Quote:
The TT skidplate was installed too. Some of the guys are installing the rubber mat to the plate to cut down on the noise and mentioned that the mounting bolts will work loose. I couldn't get the mat in time so I installed rubber washers and found after a week, the bolts loosened up on them too.....probably should use locktite when one installs the TT skidplate so you don't loose it.
Yep. Happened to me as well, lost a bolt and a spacer. Locktite.

Quote:
The TT Tank bag really worked out good. It is sized about right, holds a lot and really didn't interfer when you stand on your pegs.
Great. Thats what I wanted to hear. Time to spend some money

Quote:
I did experience a bent rim on the front on the sixth day riding. I never felt I was running that hot and must have hit a rock that flattened it on one side. Clem from BMW Denver looked at it and thought I could continue to ride it the rest of the season and get it repaired at Woody's this winter. I was running around 18 lbs. at the time in the front. Anybody else had problems?
Ouch. I havent done that yet. I run my pressure high though

Quote:
The gas mileage was unbelievable. I don't know if it was the elevation or what but the first fill showed 55 miles per gal. and by mid week, it was running 70-75 miles per gallon.
I get between 60 and 70. No matter how hard I push it I get at least 60.

Quote:
I took the charcoal filter off on day three. Boy what a big clunky thing. I am taking the bike to Baja and Copper Canyon in October and have been concerned about fuel capacity. The mounting clamps are fairly big for the charcoal canister and I was wondering if you could use them to mount a MSR camping fuel bottle. That would give one about another 12-15 mile range for an emergency. Has anybody tried that?
Havent removed the charcoal yet, I added a pelican 1400 case (picture above in the thread) to the small TT luggage rack. I figure if I want more fuel I will put a koplin can on the top of the pelican case and add it to my main tank after 60 miles of riding.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #1572
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
I've cracked 75 mpg riding easy on back roads. My average is about 70.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #1573
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
Black River Stages Rally

Hey Max: I'm getting ready for the Black River Stages Rally in New York this September. How do you like this setup.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #1574
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
Hi Jack,

could you please post some more pics (even if it was in a pm). I think you can lend me quite some inspiration!
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #1575
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
Top Secret stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Hi Jack,

could you please post some more pics (even if it was in a pm). I think you can lend me quite some inspiration!
Max: I don't know, some of this stuff is top secret.

I don't want the local competion to know what I'm upto. I'll send you some links to a photo site soon.
Thanks
Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote