Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #1606
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 10:10
"Bold and uncompromising: the new single-cylinder bike for sporty off-road use. For enduro riders who seek their challenge not on big tours but on intensive motocross tracks."

From the BMW site:

http://specials.bmw-motorrad.com/spe.../overview.html

With this type of promoting, should BMW have grounds to deny any claims from hard off road use? I would like to get a strait answer before I buy one.
Yo, there fella. We haven't heard BMW's reason for denial of claim. AFAIK, BMW hasn't been represented at all on this thread.

I'm not accusing the poster of being a thief who comes only to steal and destroy. I"m only pointing out that there are two sides to every dispute.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #1607
John 10:10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Yo, there fella. We haven't heard BMW's reason for denial of claim. AFAIK, BMW hasn't been represented at all on this thread.

I'm not accusing the poster of being a thief who comes only to steal and destroy. I"m only pointing out that there are two sides to every dispute.
Regardless of the truth, xchallenges problems would make me think twice about buying one.
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #1608
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Regardless of the truth, xchallenges problems would make me think twice about buying one.
What bike model doesnt have its problems. Pick one and I am sure you can find a dozen or more thread about people bitching about how their bike sucks.

The frame break is a unfortunate mishap but again pick a bike model that doesnt have a list of unfortunate mishaps.

Nothing is indestructible. Buy the bike you want and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #1609
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
What problems are you talking about?

Quote:
Other than "challenged" issues, what are you talking about?

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #1610
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide

I'm not accusing the poster of being a thief who comes only to steal and destroy. I"m only pointing out that there are at least two sides to every dispute.
I added some text, because these matters can be complicated by the sometimes competing interests of the owner, the dealer, and the manufacturer. The facts are the facts, but the interpretation of those facts might be colored by differing agendas.

I offer this as a general comment, and have no idea what's really going on in the "broken frame caper."
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #1611
Jking
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 233
Battery problems?

Took it out trail ridding today and was bouncing along, all of a sudden the motor starts to shut down. Started playing with the key, kick stand ect. just to see if anyhing was loose. Then I noticed that my odometer was freaking out. My TE610 did the same thing when the battery strap loosened up and rubbed battery to the frame. I did'nt have time to pull it appart, so I just loaded it up and dropped it off for service. Has anyone had the same problem of the battery comming loose and rubbing terminals? I have'nt even pull it apart to see the battery. Can the battery even come loose? I guesss I find out on tuesday when service opens up at A&S BMW

Another question, who sells that heavy duty skid plate for the X, I saw it here about 100 post ago but can't find it.

Thanks

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #1612
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jking
Took it out trail ridding today and was bouncing along, all of a sudden the motor starts to shut down. Started playing with the key, kick stand ect. just to see if anyhing was loose. Then I noticed that my odometer was freaking out. My TE610 did the same thing when the battery strap loosened up and rubbed battery to the frame. I did'nt have time to pull it appart, so I just loaded it up and dropped it off for service. Has anyone had the same problem of the battery comming loose and rubbing terminals? I have'nt even pull it apart to see the battery. Can the battery even come loose? I guesss I find out on tuesday when service opens up at A&S BMW

Another question, who sells that heavy duty skid plate for the X, I saw it here about 100 post ago but can't find it.

Thanks
Havent had a battery problem.

Touratech for a skid plate. Its actually in stock now as well.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...4BFAA3033DE0B8

Tour·a·tech (toor-uh-tek)
-verb. German for "Out of Stock".
Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #1613
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
I have a battery problem also. Started 7 days ago. Road to work and then had to push start after the battery wouldn't turn the starter over. You coudl see the volts drop from 13 to 5 during the process. The computer restarted as with your own. Easy to push start cold on tarmac. Thought it might be a freak incident, but 2 days later it did the same thing, three times in one day. The third was at the BMW dealership so they sae the problem, and I have left it with them to fix. They will load test the battery and if that fails to show results, will examine the loom.

Anyone with a similar problem feel free to chime in. The battery may have dropped a cell, or a connection may be grounding I guess.
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #1614
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
so what... you'll put 500 miles on it and then sell it anyway
Are your KTM's gone?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #1615
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
I added some text, because these matters can be complicated by the sometimes competing interests of the owner, the dealer, and the manufacturer. The facts are the facts, but the interpretation of those facts might be colored by differing agendas.

I offer this as a general comment, and have no idea what's really going on in the "broken frame caper."
Well, that's my point. When BMW denied warranty on my FD although I was below 36k / 3 years, it gave a solid reason. If I just posted, "BMW NA denied warranty on a lunched FD on a dealer maintained GS within its warranty period" it'd sound like a perfect outrage.

However BMW NA gave a reason (which I didn't think valid but there WAS a reason). It's the reason we should be debating - not the yes/no question where we lack reason.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #1616
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:

Thanks
My battery wasn't well fastened into its compartment. During my 600 mile service, I attended to that and certain other trivial issues.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #1617
lkongo
Roxen rider

Oddometer: 90
Quote:

Thanks

See my story:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=852

I got a new battery on warranty.

My trips and the clock has been reset 1 time this summer but the bike starts and there has been no problem with the bike "dying".
lkongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #1618
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Took it out trail ridding today ...
Please stop that. We need more trails rather than fewer.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #1619
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
Quote:

Thanks
My battery fit is really tight, would be interested to hear if it can move around enough to rub through anything. My computer also went on the blink but bike still runs fine and am waiting on a new one which is a warranty replacement. I fitted a locally made skid plate, not sure if they can send you one from here, around US$ 120.00 plus shipping, can find out if you like, PM me.

Good protection for water pump, sump plug and starter. Also a bit more noise but well worth the extra protection. Local Touratech do not stock any parts for the XChallenge!
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #1620
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Hey Steady

Some guys have been using Dynamat on the inside of their skidplates and report a big decrease in noise.

I couldn't find any, so I used rubberized spray on undercoating and sound eliminator. It seems to have worked as well as the noise doesn't bother me at all.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote