Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #256
Bored
But happy to be alive

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Yep, I'm puzzled too. These seem like bikes best suited for riders who absolutely must own a BMW, rather than any decent competitive analysis or unmet needs in today's market.
R
I think that there is an unmet need for a : dirt capable, dependable, street legal trail bike that does not need multiple modifications or frequent maintainence, and has a great warranty.
I'm hoping that the X challenge will be a good compromise between the KLR 650, and the KTM EXC 525. (07 525s and 450s are st legal) This mission started after two very enjoyable days on a WR 450 in the Calif desert. Since then I have had the chance to ride a KLR 650 and a DRZ 400. Neither was very impressive. I considered a Husky TE 610, but was concerned by the multiple problems I read about. The kicker was when a Bike Magazine had trouble keeping their test bike running. The KLR is a dog. Granted it is a good dog, but I'm looking for a little more excitement. The KTM 525 is race ready out of the box! Thats more than I need. If the X Challenge is in the $8,000 to $9,000 range, I plan to put a deposit on one without the abs. I may spring for the Apropovic pipe, and there is a mention in the specs about a pannier. Some on this thread think that the mounting bolts are obvious. I like the idea of simply bolting it on. I don't have the ability to fabricate things. The 3 years, or 36,000 miles warranty is icing on the cake. KTM dirt bikes don't have any warranty. Another consideration is the fact that the BMW dealer is 10 miles away, and the Husky dealer is 80 miles away ! In the for what it's worth catagory- I think that the X Challenge looks cool. After I wear out the stock tires and put some knobbies on it... it will look even cooler. :grinner
What can you GS 650 riders tell me about the handling of a bike with such a nontraditional gas tank placement ?

www.SurviveLeukemia.com
Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #257
Bored
But happy to be alive

I just learned that the 07 TE 610 has fuel injection. That is one of the reasons that I think the X Challenge will be dependable, and get great MPG ta boot. What a great time to be in the market for a DS bike.

www.SurviveLeukemia.com
Old 11-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #258
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored
I think that there is an unmet need for a : dirt capable, dependable, street legal trail bike that does not need multiple modifications or frequent maintainence, and has a great warranty.
I'm hoping that the X challenge will be a good compromise between the KLR 650, and the KTM EXC 525. (07 525s and 450s are st legal) This mission started after two very enjoyable days on a WR 450 in the Calif desert. Since then I have had the chance to ride a KLR 650 and a DRZ 400. Neither was very impressive. I considered a Husky TE 610, but was concerned by the multiple problems I read about. The kicker was when a Bike Magazine had trouble keeping their test bike running. The KLR is a dog. Granted it is a good dog, but I'm looking for a little more excitement. The KTM 525 is race ready out of the box! Thats more than I need. If the X Challenge is in the $8,000 to $9,000 range, I plan to put a deposit on one without the abs. I may spring for the Apropovic pipe, and there is a mention in the specs about a pannier. Some on this thread think that the mounting bolts are obvious. I like the idea of simply bolting it on. I don't have the ability to fabricate things. The 3 years, or 36,000 miles warranty is icing on the cake. KTM dirt bikes don't have any warranty. Another consideration is the fact that the BMW dealer is 10 miles away, and the Husky dealer is 80 miles away ! In the for what it's worth catagory- I think that the X Challenge looks cool. After I wear out the stock tires and put some knobbies on it... it will look even cooler. :grinner
What can you GS 650 riders tell me about the handling of a bike with such a nontraditional gas tank placement ?
Opinions vary of course, but the need you describe sounds a lot like the TE610. Spend some time reading about the bike here and you'll find a lot of very happy owners. It would be great if the X has the range and off road capability for true DS/adventure use. Time will tell.
R
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #259
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Opinions vary of course, but the need you describe sounds a lot like the TE610. Spend some time reading about the bike here and you'll find a lot of very happy owners. It would be great if the X has the range and off road capability for true DS/adventure use. Time will tell.
R
Or the KTM 625 SXC or 640 Enduro which are a well proven bike. In a couple of years when I replace the 640 I'll be giving that beemer a look. The more the merrier in the 'between a KLR & a 525 niche' I reckon, but given the great run I'm having with the 640 right now it'll have to be pretty good to steer me away from the new KTM 690's

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #260
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Or the KTM 625 SXC or 640 Enduro which are a well proven bike. In a couple of years when I replace the 640 I'll be giving that beemer a look. The more the merrier in the 'between a KLR & a 525 niche' I reckon, but given the great run I'm having with the 640 right now it'll have to be pretty good to steer me away from the new KTM 690's

Cheers
Clint
In the US, the SXC has not been available for a few years. Too bad because it was a solid DS bike with a proven motor and good off road capability. KTM has both ends of the spectrum covered well. The EXC street legal lineup and the 950 adventure. There is a gap between these bikes that perhaps the BMW X fills. BMW does deserve kudos for adding to our selection of true DS bikes. With Husky, KTM and BMW all in that niche now, things are looking good.
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #261
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
MSRP has just been released by BMW NA
G650 XCountry $8,625
G650 XChallenge $8,925
G650 XMoto $9,525

This includes Freight but not any accessories such as ABS or whatever else they may have to offer. Pretty sure heated grips are not an option with limited wattage.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #262
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,377
That sounds about right since the KTM 625 is $8,598.00

Is the delivery date March? I would like to see one in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
MSRP has just been released by BMW NA
G650 XCountry $8,625
G650 XChallenge $8,925
G650 XMoto $9,525

This includes Freight but not any accessories such as ABS or whatever else they may have to offer. Pretty sure heated grips are not an option with limited wattage.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #263
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 377
limited wattage...

They have a 280w alternator according to page 24 of this doc -

https://www.bmwmoa.org/features/inte...mot_models.pdf

Grip heaters are not shown as a factory option (yet), but I've have no problem using the Moose aftermarket grip-heaters on my DRZ400 & SV650. YMMV.
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #264
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
The new BMW G 650's

I just saw all three of the new bikes at the Cycle World m/c show over the weekend, and it looks like BMW is finally serious about the lightweight dual-sport that the GS-twin and F650GS riders have been hoping for. Here's a link to some videos of the new bikes:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...mw+g+650&hl=en

Now...discuss!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #265
Bored
But happy to be alive

Weight of G650 X Challenge

According to the BMW web site- the X Challenge weight is 318 lbs "unladen, with a full tank." Gas weighs 5.8 lbs to 6.5 lbs per gal according to Ask.com. Lets round it off to 6 lbs. 6 X 2.1=12.6
318-12.6= 305.4 lbs. The dry weight of a TE 610 is 308 lbs. So the X Challenge, with a full tank of gas, weighs 2.6 lbs less than a TE 610 with an empty gas tank. Opting for the Akrapovic pipe could drop the overall weight 8 lbs more according to my salesman. He didn't have a price for the Akrapovic pipe, but it will be offered through BMW. So there won't be any warranty problems.
More cc's, less weight, and FI. I'm excited. I'm also surprised that there is not more interest. Yea... $8925 is expensive. But the 07 KTM EXC 525 is $8300. So $8925 doesn't seem out of line to me.

www.SurviveLeukemia.com
Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #266
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
According to the BMW web site- the X Challenge weight is 318 lbs "unladen, with a full tank." Gas weighs 5.8 lbs to 6.5 lbs per gal according to Ask.com. Lets round it off to 6 lbs. 6 X 2.1=12.6
318-12.6= 305.4 lbs. The dry weight of a TE 610 is 308 lbs. So the X Challenge, with a full tank of gas, weighs 2.6 lbs less than a TE 610 with an empty gas tank. Opting for the Akrapovic pipe could drop the overall weight 8 lbs more according to my salesman. He didn't have a price for the Akrapovic pipe, but it will be offered through BMW. So there won't be any warranty problems.
More cc's, less weight, and FI. I'm excited. I'm also surprised that there is not more interest. Yea... $8925 is expensive. But the 07 KTM EXC 525 is $8300. So $8925 doesn't seem out of line to me.
I agree. The weight is competitive enough and if we're going to be honest a few pounds here or there on these types of enduros doesn't make all the difference in the world. Rider skill can make up the difference. I'm not doing any races when I go riding even when at a trackday.

Kudos to BMW for giving their fans and developing fans a reasonable alternative with comparable performance numbers to other high end models.

I'm in the market for a second bike. In the running are the Ducati 1098, 1st gen CBR1000RR, KTM Super Duke, and now the enduro and SM 650's.

I was going to go with a Husaberg or Husq. 640/650 but since I can get nearly the same performance with a 3 year warranty, good reliability, easy parts acquisition, and still retain my fillings I'll stick with the BMWs over the 'berg and Husq. The 'berg and Husq may be more focused and race worthy but since I'm not entering any enduros for at least, oh 500 years or so, I'm not too concerned. Great bikes all, more variety can never be a bad thing.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #267
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Those 318 lbs is the supposed dry weight. With a full tank of gas it will be 158 kgs, with comes down to around 350 lbs.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #268
Bored
But happy to be alive

Quote:
Correction- the X Challenge with a full tank of gas weighs 10 lbs more than a TE 610 with an empty tank. So.. put 1.6 gal of gas in the TE 610 and the bikes would weigh the same. I got my numbers a little mixed up. Sorry

www.SurviveLeukemia.com
Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #269
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
These bikes look cool, and I bet they are a blast to ride, but I have a bad feeling. It is the same bad feeling I got when BMW came out with the Cruisers, and several years down the road (pun intended) the end result will probably be the same. So what can it hurt that BMW tries something new to grow sales, expand the lineup? It can hurt plenty. It is a distraction, it is costly, and trying to be all things to all people can be deadly to a company . OK, I worry too much, but remember these words my fellow BMW enthusiasts.

Still, I can't wait to ride one of these .
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #270
Bored
But happy to be alive

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Those 318 lbs is the supposed dry weight. With a full tank of gas it will be 158 kgs, with comes down to around 350 lbs.
If the dry weight is 318 lbs, and 2.1 gal of gas is 12.6 lbs, then wouldn't the total be 330.6 lbs ?
The BMW site lists the weight as "318 lbs unladen, with a full tank." Could it be that they ment to say that the weight is 318 lbs when the bike's full gas tank is unladen (unloaded) ?
Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part to assume that unladen ment no accessories. I read somewhere that the ABS accessory weights 3 lbs. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I don't claim to be a math wiz. Look for my correction on my original post. I'm just trying to research the X Challenge. Yea..
I'm no math wiz. But I did like algerbra. I liked it so much that I took it twice. True story. I remember telling my: teacher, folks, and guidence counselor that I would never need algerbra; and ya know what ???? I was right. No... I'm not drinking. I'm procrastinating. I need to visit a friend from work who had brain surgery recently, and I'm dragging my feet.

www.SurviveLeukemia.com