Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #5566
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441
Cheers, thinking about it I should have known, I've seen that plug lying idle on several bikes (Guess it's time for holidays or at least some days off, I'm getting a bit numb)

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #5567
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Still kind of lusting after an X-country or X-moto after riding one a few years back.

I do have one thing that really bothered me during that test ride, not having a tachometer in some cases. What are you guys doing for a tachometer (for those who care actually care about not having one)? Just going with something from Trailtech or considering wiring up your own analog tachometer? Does the coil have a pickup for a tachometer? I've tried to research on here for a concrete solution, but I have not seen anyone go in-depth about it; or I might have missed it.

If I were to buy one in the future, I would like to keep the regular speedometer; because it has some pretty good features. I am not particularly a fan of digital speedometers or tachometers, but I could live with it given how well I liked the bike and for what I would be using it for (fireroads, commuting to keep miles off the SV, etc.; nothing crazy seeing as what I have seen 1 case on here of swingarm failure when many small things add up offroad).
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #5568
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Dynojet Powercommander V gets RPM signal from crank sensor wire, located behind rectifier. Don't know does it do some conversions for signal, but it's available. See http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng12-006.pdf
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #5569
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONo443 View Post
Still kind of lusting after an X-country or X-moto after riding one a few years back.

I do have one thing that really bothered me during that test ride, not having a tachometer in some cases. What are you guys doing for a tachometer (for those who care actually care about not having one)? Just going with something from Trailtech or considering wiring up your own analog tachometer? Does the coil have a pickup for a tachometer? I've tried to research on here for a concrete solution, but I have not seen anyone go in-depth about it; or I might have missed it.

If I were to buy one in the future, I would like to keep the regular speedometer; because it has some pretty good features. I am not particularly a fan of digital speedometers or tachometers, but I could live with it given how well I liked the bike and for what I would be using it for (fireroads, commuting to keep miles off the SV, etc.; nothing crazy seeing as what I have seen 1 case on here of swingarm failure when many small things add up offroad).
Who needs it? The engine has a rev limiter in the off chance you spin it up too high, but at the end of the day we are talking about a big single, not a 4-cylinder.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #5570
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:

After a few rides or 50 miles at the most, you get a sense of the engine making a tach truly redundant. The engine speaks to you through its voice and feel.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #5571
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post
Just got the question from a US client for an Xtank.
At removing the charcoal canister connected to the breather of the fuel tank, can you just disconnect it or has to be some jumpering or tricking done? No idea if this gives a feedback to the ECU and I don't have the plans for the US version
I assume you have read the info on the cannisterectomy linked to from page 1 of the XChallenge Thread Index that goes here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3130

That pretty much covers it. People have sealed off the vacuum line various ways with threaded bolts vs. plugs, etc.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #5572
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
i got used to listen to the engine which is in my view better since taking sight out of the road can be dangerous. I do fair amount of commuting and its not problem either.

Quote:

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #5573
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by an13 View Post
Dynojet Powercommander V gets RPM signal from crank sensor wire, located behind rectifier. Don't know does it do some conversions for signal, but it's available. See http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng12-006.pdf
Thank you, that is pretty interesting. If I decide to actually go further into this, it would probably be a good idea to get a service manual so I can figure out what each wire does.

To the others, I hear your reasoning but I like knowing where the engine speed is at when I want to.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5574
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I assume you have read the info on the cannisterectomy ....
Of course not, I live in a civilised part of the world without cannabisterscannisters
But thanks of course because I wasn't aware of this thread

Xtankteam™

Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #5575
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
Cheers Erik!

Thanks for the dims. Now I just have to find the time to make it...

And I'll have to tell my wife what you said... maybe she's right when she says I'm spending too much time on this site!

-Ruis
Just curious... What's the downside on having grooves worn in the spacers? I still have the original ones, they are pretty grooved. 12,000 miles of mostly rough riding, I just figured the replacements (if I ordered BMW) would re-groove in no time. So I'm just running them as is..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #5576
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Hey Jeff, how's the ankle?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #5577
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
J... What's the downside on having grooves worn in the spacers?...
Filth, grime and particles getting in behind the seal (and because of the seal not getting out easily), eating the bearing seal and wearing the bearing. That's why we opt for stainless spacers nowadays

Xtankteam™

Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #5578
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Hey Jeff, how's the ankle?
The ankle is a pain.. Literally. I'm trying not to be mad at my X, because it chose to land on it, and break my fibula..

Hopefully it will be well soon.. I still can't decide wether to take the XC, or the GS out west.. I'm going to try and take the big pig on the SBR. If it tortures me, I will be trying to fix up the XC..

Hope you are doing well..
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #5579
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post
Filth, grime and particles getting in behind the seal (and because of the seal not getting out easily), eating the bearing seal and wearing the bearing. That's why we opt for stainless spacers nowadays
I need to get them ordered.. I need to order a big X Tank too, but there are only so many $$$$..

How about a package deal? Ha

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #5580
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

1 Xtank + 1 set of stainless spacers from Scheffelmeier + only one time shipping charges. Is that a package deal?
Jokes aside, I will have a demo XL Xtank (normal version) available soon. Send me a pm if you're interested

Are ankles an XC specialty? Did some OTR training on a trials ground the other day and hurt mine severely (don't try to roll away from the bike when it lies on your foot ) , though no real damage as far as I can tell at the moment.

Xtankteam™