Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #5671
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Nice pix of what looks like an interesting adventure ride, Biker. Looking forwrad to the RR if you post it.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #5672
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Nice pics. I really love this one for a wallpaper, if you mind posting it in full size (can't download from Picasa...).

Thanks, looking forward to the RR too !
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #5673
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer: 184
TransICELAND 2012 - our 2 weeks long trip tp Iceland - short teaser ...still w8ting for remaining source video from my 2 friends

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #5674
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBiker78 View Post
TransICELAND 2012 - our 2 weeks long trip tp Iceland - short teaser ...still w8ting for remaining source video from my 2 friends
Wow! Looks like a great trip. Beautiful country. I think I would have preferred to be on my XC rather than a big GS/A..
Did the guys on the big bikes have trouble?
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #5675
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Wow! Looks like a great trip. Beautiful country. I think I would have preferred to be on my XC rather than a big GS/A..
Did the guys on the big bikes have trouble?
Big bikes for most of their riders were big troubles in: river crossings, deep sand on F910 route from Askja to west direction, rocky trails, and steps on lava fields .... for 80% of interior routes you can ride with big adv bike ... it will require better riding technique, it will consume more energy and you will be travelling at slower pace... . XC will give you more fun in interior and less comfort on tarmac.

----------------

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #5676
Trekker3
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Picked up an brand new BMW X Challenge this weekend registered in 2008 and sat unused in a heated garage since. It has 1 mile on the clock, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it as it is probably unique (unless there are more in some warehouse somewhere) I fancied an adventure bike lighter than my GSA 1200 to do some harder terrain on but still to have the ability to cover reasonably long distances. There are some interesting threads on here (over 120 pages) with some hardcore users modifying their bikes substantially from stock, I didnt want to get too involved in alterations as I like my bikes to stay reliable and the XC should fit that bill but have things moved on since this bike was launched? I will have to think about this as the first time I go off road it definitely won't look new anymore!
Trekker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #5677
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker3 View Post
Picked up an brand new BMW X Challenge this weekend registered in 2008 and sat unused in a heated garage since. It has 1 mile on the clock, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it as it is probably unique (unless there are more in some warehouse somewhere) I fancied an adventure bike lighter than my GSA 1200 to do some harder terrain on but still to have the ability to cover reasonably long distances. There are some interesting threads on here (over 120 pages) with some hardcore users modifying their bikes substantially from stock, I didnt want to get too involved in alterations as I like my bikes to stay reliable and the XC should fit that bill but have things moved on since this bike was launched? I will have to think about this as the first time I go off road it definitely won't look new anymore!
Congratulations on the new bike!
I didn't do a lot to mine at first either.
But then, I caved on a few issues.
The fuel range is limited. I had a rotopak fuel tank, but switched to the X-Tank, this is a great mod. I also lived with the stock seat for 10,000 miles. Whew that was tough. Sheepskin helped, but $200 at seat concepts really helps.

I'd also add a skidplate, and risers.

If by chance you have a good one, you might be able to live with the rear airshock. Mine leaked, and the bmw pump never worked when I needed it.

Mine now can go as far as needed, in comfort. I can take it so many more places than I would my big GS/A. And, I'm not worn out from fighting the big bike. I'm also not an "A" rider.
I don't know of another smaller bike that I would buy. Maybe if Yamaha comes out with a 450 fuel injected and set up like the WR250R.
Good luck with the new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #5678
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,383
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I thought I'd come to the G650X experts. I had myself convinced I wanted the X but then read the thread on here about it having issues and now I'm back to considering the Dakar as well. I'm so confused. Lol I had a KLR650 and it was a decent bike. I couldn't believe the Dakar was 30+ lbs heavier then the KLR. That's what pushed me towards the X. I think if I knew exactly how much off road I'd be doing would help. The Dakar looks like a nicer KLR, still able to do 2-up, and decent off road. The X looks more sinister. I like the X, but will it be a waste doing as much as 50% street?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #5679
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker3 View Post
There are some interesting threads on here (over 120 pages) with some hardcore users modifying their bikes substantially from stock, I didnt want to get too involved in alterations as I like my bikes to stay reliable and the XC should fit that bill but have things moved on since this bike was launched?
Most of the mods people do are to INcreased realibility and address particular shortcomings for their style of riding and needs.

Have a look at Colebatch's thread and you can see how his bike "evolved" after changing all the parts that broke from multiple 1/2 RTW trips.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #5680
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I thought I'd come to the G650X experts. I had myself convinced I wanted the X but then read the thread on here about it having issues and now I'm back to considering the Dakar as well. I'm so confused. Lol I had a KLR650 and it was a decent bike. I couldn't believe the Dakar was 30+ lbs heavier then the KLR. That's what pushed me towards the X. I think if I knew exactly how much off road I'd be doing would help. The Dakar looks like a nicer KLR, still able to do 2-up, and decent off road. The X looks more sinister. I like the X, but will it be a waste doing as much as 50% street?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Its all depends on what your 50% offroad/trail riding would be .... If it would be easy routes just take Dakar. If you would like to go on more demanging routes/trails take XChallenge - it will give you less comfort on tarmac and much more fun on trails.

----------------

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #5681
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

Thanks for the thoughts guys. :
Probably a combo of your likes and your skills. I had a KLR and really enjoyed it. I went everywhere on that bike except challenging trails because I couldn't handle the weight - especially with a full tank.

I feel much more confident on the BMW simply due to it weighing about what a DRZ 400 does plus having easily enough power to cruise at 80 mph or even more if you wish to.

My skill level dictates that never again will I venture off road, except well maintained dirt / forest roads, on a heavy bike.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #5682
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

I would guess moderate off road at the most. I wanted lighter than the KLR though. :(. I was disappointed to learn the weight of the Dakar. That's what led me to the X.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #5683
slide
A nation in despair

Then get the X and be happy.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #5684
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Then get the X and be happy.
Possibly. The potential need for 2-up might be an issue. I was strongly leaning X though. Is that thread on its issues as bad as it sounds slide?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #5685
slide
A nation in despair

I"m not familiar with the thread on issues. My X has been 100% trouble free except for two things. The original Exide battery failed and was replaced twice only to fail again and again once seriously stranding me. Finally BMW changed to Yuasa and that problem went away.

The bike demands to be ridden with spirit. Loafing along for mile after mile of city riding and my bike starts to run erratically which I fix by a few miles hard running.

Mine's not a high miles bike but does have over 18k miles. I'm happy with it.