ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #5716
DROdio
Lifehacker
 
DROdio's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 27
anyone know what size bolts are used in charcoal canister

For anyone removing the charcoal canister as per the instructions provided by @Flo_Evans:

Can you tell me what size the bolts are?

I just bought an xChallenge that had the canister removed... but doesn't have the bolts & metal straps I'd need to put an MSR bottle in.

(By the same token, if you're removing your canister and you don't want/need any of that stuff anymore, I'll buy it from you! Just PM me).
__________________
2007 BMW G650 xChallenge...
...hauled by a 2003 F250 Diesel 6spd named "Tonka"
Entrepreneur & Lifehacker in San Francisco
DROdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #5717
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,406
Funny noise

I'm hoping to get some expert opinions a new problem on my 07 XCountry.

While riding on a flat smooth paved road (by this I mean no bouncing around off road), I hear a funny noise that ONLY happens when I decelerate with my hand NOT on the clutch, i.e. when engine braking.

It goes away if I dis-engage the clutch (pull in the lever). It has nothing to do with the brakes or tires.

It actually sounds like a soft clicking or rubbing sound that is coming from pretty high up in the front of the frame/motor (like in front of my knees but higher up). It's probably been there for awhile as I usually ride with earbuds and music playing but today I didn't and I heard it.

I do have a Rekluse clutch but it doesn't sound like it is coming from the left side or from down low.

Any ideas?
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #5718
aprilian
Can I change this?
 
aprilian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Oddometer: 415
Could it be worn and dry head bearings? You MIGHT be pulling the bars back towards you when pulling the clutch lever which would lock the upper bearing race against the seat for a while. Plenty of online info on how to check them.

Of course you could do what I do, wear earplugs and all the bothersome little sounds just disappear
__________________
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing.
aprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #5719
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Could it be worn and dry head bearings? You MIGHT be pulling the bars back towards you when pulling the clutch lever which would lock the upper bearing race against the seat for a while. Plenty of online info on how to check them.

Of course you could do what I do, wear earplugs and all the bothersome little sounds just disappear
Well I have not lubed the steering head ever in 20,000 miles but I don't think that is it. And I'm not pulling back on the bars, it is not the clutch lever or bars itself...

... it's directly related to the force of decelerating while it in gear and engine braking, then the momentum of the bike is fighting against the resistance of the the engine and transmission while in gear.

The only thing is it sounds like it is up high and in front, yeah kinda below the steering head. And it make a repeating sound, like a soft click, click, click....
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #5720
mhsnowy
Adventurer
 
mhsnowy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 16
Updating the alternator?

Anybody updated the output or changed the alternator for a more powerful one.

I'm running twin 35 hids, heated jacket and gloves, satnav, but when the fan cuts in the alternator can't keep up.

Is it an easy job to change the challenge 280w one for a 400w one?
mhsnowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #5721
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsnowy View Post
Anybody updated the output or changed the alternator for a more powerful one.

I'm running twin 35 hids, heated jacket and gloves, satnav, but when the fan cuts in the alternator can't keep up.

Is it an easy job to change the challenge 280w one for a 400w one?
YOu need the satnav on constantly? Ditto those blinding HID"s? Seems to me it'd be easier to lighten the load than heavy up the engine.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #5722
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,359
I'm still curious if the 400W alternator out of the new Husky will fit the X bikes. Although I only have an issue at idle.
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #5723
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROdio View Post
For anyone removing the charcoal canister as per the instructions provided by @Flo_Evans:

Can you tell me what size the bolts are?

I just bought an xChallenge that had the canister removed... but doesn't have the bolts & metal straps I'd need to put an MSR bottle in.

(By the same token, if you're removing your canister and you don't want/need any of that stuff anymore, I'll buy it from you! Just PM me).
Looks on the BMW parts fiche, it will tell you what size the bolt are.

Don't bother with the MSR bottle and the charcoal canister straps, as the straps aren't designed to hold any weight and break about 5 minutes into the ride. Not to mention that only 1 of the straps is the right size.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #5724
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Oddometer: 165
Looking for a replacement cush hub assembly and a rear brake rotor off an XChallenge or Country. Any of my fellow G650Xers needing to clean out some leftover parts?? Hmmm? Sadly, I'm not rich enough to buy new stuff....
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #5725
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Looks on the BMW parts fiche, it will tell you what size the bolt are.

Don't bother with the MSR bottle and the charcoal canister straps, as the straps aren't designed to hold any weight and break about 5 minutes into the ride. Not to mention that only 1 of the straps is the right size.
you exaggerate Tim... Mine lasted 2 hours on rough trails before the thin strap failed.

I have since rigged up a tool tube that has held for 2years: LINKY
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #5726
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
Looking for a replacement cush hub assembly and a rear brake rotor off an XChallenge or Country. Any of my fellow G650Xers needing to clean out some leftover parts?? Hmmm? Sadly, I'm not rich enough to buy new stuff....
Hey, maybe someone has a crashed rear wheel in the corner of the garage?? You know yer never gonna use it, so now's the time to unload it... :-)
mike
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #5727
Bli55
-
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Казань
Oddometer: 343
Help me find a picture!

It's of a cool sticker set, and I'm pretty sure it was on an X-challenge or x-moto.

A black backrgound it was with fading blue squares/cubes, something like:


Please, I've been searching for hours and can't find it again!!
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #5728
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,390
Is this it?

My XChallenge. PO told me the black plastics and graphics were from Germany.

[IMG] photo G650X_zps2b2a679b.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 {SOLD} * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge {SOLD} * 2005 BMW R1200ST {maybe FOR SALE} * 2003 Yamaha PW80 {FOR SALE}
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #5729
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,359
Is that your homestead Dan?! Beautiful!
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #5730
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Is that your homestead Dan?! Beautiful!
No that's the PO's house. I have a decent 4 bedroom colonial with a 2 car garage but not much land.
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 {SOLD} * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge {SOLD} * 2005 BMW R1200ST {maybe FOR SALE} * 2003 Yamaha PW80 {FOR SALE}
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014