Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #856
Veek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Is anyone have fuel waring light problems?

I have about 250 miles on my X Challenge and from the day I took it home, the low fuel light comes on in 3-5 minutes regardless of the amount of fuel in the bike. Has anyone else had this occur or have any ideas to address it? I also have the intermittent low fuel trip display and I wonder if there is something I'm supposed to do for a reset. As noted earlier, the manual makes no menton of it.

Thanks
Veek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #857
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Wailed on the X today and got it dirty Only dumped it in the mud once....
Old 05-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #858
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
I am a new X owner!

Did all the paperwork and took it for a short spin and am picking it up tomorrow! Really fun bike! Really tall too! Motor has a lot of low end torque...I likey!!!

It feels lighter than my XR400 and feels nicely balanced. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and put some more miles on it.

Also picked up a Rallye 2 pro jacket, and I am glad I did. Vents really well...and I did not even have all the vents open. I bought an Acerbis Koerta pressure suit and impact jacket a few months ago after reading Bugfnnuts Dakar posts, and will probably wear those for mostly dirt rides...but the Rallye 2 is perfect for dual sporting. May even zip out the stock armor and see if the Koerta fits underneath.

Now I can do some rides with you other So. Cal. riders! XR is perfect for local stuff...but not happy on the highway!

Cheers,

Mark
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #859
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Woohoo!

Congrats again. Nice to know the bike is going to get used the way it was intended. Have a whole bunch of fun on it. Glad we were able to squeeze in that last little detail (cha-ching). You deserved it. See you in the A.M.

Your boy,
Kevin
Old 05-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #860
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkongo
I was on a trip this week about 400km from home and suddenly the motor died. I pulled the clutch in and stopped, the display was off. After a sec or something the display went on again. Trip 1, Trip 2 and the clock was reset so there was an outage of the power supply.
It started again and I went to the place were I spend the night.
The morning after when I set the key and turned it It was normal but when I pushed the start button the display went off. I waited for a minute or something and then turned the key to off and the display went on like it normally does when I turn i on .
After the check it went off again and then it was off.
If I turn it on and wait for a half a minute or something and then turn it off the same thing happens and then the display dies again.

I called the number on the service card and my X was taken to the nearest BMW center and I got a rent car and drove it back the 400km back to my home.

My bike has got 2400km on the total trip and to this there has been no problem. No problem to go 400km in one day either..

Seems to be a problem with some electonic divice.

Does anybody have a clue of what the problem can be or heard about something similar ?

Loose or broken battery terminals? I'd be interested to hear what happened?
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #861
lkongo
Roxen rider

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Loose or broken battery terminals? I'd be interested to hear what happened?
This monday or tuesday I hope to know what the problem was. After that offcourse I'll tell you what the problem was.

I'm very curious but the worst scenario is delivery time for some spare part.

I want to ride... now !!
lkongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #862
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I've been searching for a 14t CS sprocket for hours and cant seem to locate one. Anyone have a scource for the 14t JTF 402 for the F650 bikes?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #863
rookcaca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Chain slack?

Does anyone else think that when you use BMW's method of measuring chain slack there is not enough. I just came of a 06 GSXR 600 that calls to measure the chain slack on the side stand with a chain slack measurement of 20-30mm from the middle of the chain to the middle of the chain.
Bmw calls to measure the chain in the side stand by pushing the chain down and measuring the bottom the pushing the chain up and measuring the top to get a measurement between 20-30mm. How can a bike with twice the travel have the same chain slack measurement as a bike with half the travel.
On all the dirt bike's I have had you need a fair amount of chain slack due to the travel. I think the standard measurement is not enough. Am I alone?
Thanks.
rookcaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #864
Mandarax
internet insultant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookcaca
How can a bike with twice the travel have the same chain slack measurement as a bike with half the travel.
On all the dirt bike's I have had you need a fair amount of chain slack due to the travel.
Travel is not the reason for the necessity of chain slack. It is the difference of the pivot point of a) the swing and b) the front sprocket. Alter the distance between these two and the amount of needed chain slack alters accordingly. The closer the two pivot points come, the less slack is needed. If both pivot points are identical, no chain slack is needed. BMW uses this fact on the new 450 Enduro, which is still in the prototype stage but is already run succesfully in races.

To check out if the chain slack is correctly adjusted, bring three points of your bike in one line: a) the center of the front sprocket, b) the pivot point of the swing and c) the center of the rear wheel. (Doing this might need a few persons to get enough weight on the rear end. And you yourself want to watch it from the side, don't you?) This is the furthest possible distance between the two sprockets. If you can't align all three points because the chain seems to be to short, the chain needs to get loser. If the chain still hangs really loose, you might want to tighten it accordingly.
Mandarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #865
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
And to add to mandarax, the distance between the swingarm pivot point, and the countershaft on the G series is extremele short. The front sprocket is halfway behind the pivot point of the swingwarm. Which is possible because there is no axle all the way from left to right. Just a bearing on each side.

BMW G series, this is a 15 tooth, on a 16 tooth it's even more noticable:

Suzuki DR650SE (just an example):

See the difference?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #866
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
Hi all,

I have over 1000 offroad kilometers on my bike, and so far it's been a blast. I have been riding it in France mostly where the terrain was fire roads, wood trails, hardpack and a lot of stoney rocky stuff. Small dry river beds etc.

As Mr_svan on Thumpertalk (you da man!) already noticed, when you adjust the suspension where the bubble is in the middle of the glas, there's hardly any race sag, only about 3-4 cm's. I weigh between 95 and 100 kgs (220 lbs) and had to use between 9 and 9,5 bar (130-138 psi). This fellow Xchallenge rider triggered me to get the race sag somewhat more in the right direction. I lowered the pressure to 8 bar (115 psi) which gave me around 7cms of sag. I have the damping set on "hard".

I went riding out with some buddies, which today was mostly sand, wet sand. Sand with a lot of 2-3 feet holes and series of 2 feet whoops. When we were riding these whoops and holes it seemed to me I had shift my body weight much farther to the rear than I'm normally used to. Just as if I was compensation for lack of rebound damping. Come to think of it, I was compensating for lack of rebound damping. The guy behind me even suggested to add some rebound damping for he saw me nearly flying over the bars a few times. From day one when I would be jumping with the bike, I had to shift my weight to the rear as well. On small stuff, gravel and smoother sand the suspension seems ok.

Does the above sound familiar to you? Should I try to lower the pressure some more? Untill I get 9cm of sag for example? (just like you would on a regularly sprung bike with 27cm of wheel travel)

Anyone got some idea? Recognize this?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #867
vrooom
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just Ordered the X-Country

hello everyone,

I just ordered the X-Country last week. This is the first bike I've owned, and the first new (and powerful) machine I've ever ridden. I'll be riding this between Jersey City and various places in NYC (freelancer), and hopefully on many long trips out to the boonies and beyond.

It's been a year++ search for this bike. I've been scanning the Craigslist ads and researching all kinds of bikes almost daily. I really think I've found the most perfect motorcycle available (for my situation).

As has been mentioned, I wish the tank had more capacity and that it was a little more "rough and tumble". However, I think these concerns will be addressed with after-market accessories soon. I'll be looking to equip this for long-haul trips as soon as the parts are available. (I basicaly want this to be like a mini R 1200 GS Adventure)

I'll be picking up the bike from BMW Manhattan sometime next week... Photos and stories to come soon. For now, it's time to head out to the boonies to brush up my skills on some old junkers before pulling my fancy beemer out into NYC traffic.
vrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #868
lkongo
Roxen rider

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Hi all,

I have over 1000 offroad kilometers on my bike, and so far it's been a blast. I have been riding it in France mostly where the terrain was fire roads, wood trails, hardpack and a lot of stoney rocky stuff. Small dry river beds etc.

As Mr_svan on Thumpertalk (you da man!) already noticed, when you adjust the suspension where the bubble is in the middle of the glas, there's hardly any race sag, only about 3-4 cm's. I weigh between 95 and 100 kgs (220 lbs) and had to use between 9 and 9,5 bar (130-138 psi). This fellow Xchallenge rider triggered me to get the race sag somewhat more in the right direction. I lowered the pressure to 8 bar (115 psi) which gave me around 7cms of sag. I have the damping set on "hard".

I went riding out with some buddies, which today was mostly sand, wet sand. Sand with a lot of 2-3 feet holes and series of 2 feet whoops. When we were riding these whoops and holes it seemed to me I had shift my body weight much farther to the rear than I'm normally used to. Just as if I was compensation for lack of rebound damping. Come to think of it, I was compensating for lack of rebound damping. The guy behind me even suggested to add some rebound damping for he saw me nearly flying over the bars a few times. From day one when I would be jumping with the bike, I had to shift my weight to the rear as well. On small stuff, gravel and smoother sand the suspension seems ok.

Does the above sound familiar to you? Should I try to lower the pressure some more? Untill I get 9cm of sag for example? (just like you would on a regularly sprung bike with 27cm of wheel travel)

Anyone got some idea? Recognize this?
I think it was BMW Atlanta that gave me the advice to set the sag at 90mm, that's where I got it and I have to get 6,5Bar to get that. My weight is 75kg. The manual says 6,3 Bar for a rider of 65kg weight. and 6,7 for an 80kg rider if I remember correctly. That is in line with my present pressure.

The bubble is NOT centered for me though....

It feels right anyway so I will continue ride at this pressure.

I've also noticed that the pressure increases dramatic after some offroad driving. (about 0,7 Bar the most I think) That's logic because the temperature rise in the shock-chamber. I think maybe one should set the pressure when the shock is warm....
lkongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #869
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Still waiting, looks like my XCH will be plated and ready togo on thursday.

At least i saw it inside the box and i touched it.............

I guess is time to think about which handguards set should i install on it......
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #870
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooom
hello everyone,

I just ordered the X-Country last week. This is the first bike I've owned, and the first new (and powerful) machine I've ever ridden. I'll be riding this between Jersey City and various places in NYC (freelancer), and hopefully on many long trips out to the boonies and beyond.

It's been a year++ search for this bike. I've been scanning the Craigslist ads and researching all kinds of bikes almost daily. I really think I've found the most perfect motorcycle available (for my situation).

As has been mentioned, I wish the tank had more capacity and that it was a little more "rough and tumble". However, I think these concerns will be addressed with after-market accessories soon. I'll be looking to equip this for long-haul trips as soon as the parts are available. (I basicaly want this to be like a mini R 1200 GS Adventure)

I'll be picking up the bike from BMW Manhattan sometime next week... Photos and stories to come soon. For now, it's time to head out to the boonies to brush up my skills on some old junkers before pulling my fancy beemer out into NYC traffic.
Keep us up to date on your experience with your new scoot. The more I think about it, the more I want an X-Country... with some luggage option (nothing fancy) and some extra fuel capacity. I haven't yet had taken a test ride but I did sit on one and was instantly happy with the ergos. I like to ride balls-on-tank on and off-road so the fit was great for me.