Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
MoMan OP
PigPen

Oddometer: 666
GS Frame Modification

I've done some recent updates to my bike from my crash back in Sept. '05
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95165

The left PIAA light was destroyed in that crash along with a bent frame, tweaked forks and a sundry of other things. I made a new light bar out of an aluminum stock and bolted it to the frame via construction grade u-bolts.

In the crash, the frame bracket was collapsed. I purchased a new one and welded a steel strap across the top to add support and bracing. It probably wont fair any better in a frontal crash, but might do better ricocheting off of trees or the occasional oopps.

I bought some aluminum screen, spray painted it, cut to shape and zip tied it to the stock oil cooler screen. I also did this to the headlight screen and am working on a mesh screen for the PIAA lights too. I haven't lost a headlight to a rock before, but it does give that Baja ready cool factor to the eye.

After I had the frame straightened, I got an evil grin and decided to modify the frame. I read all I could about the process and a few ADV FF's added their $.02 worth (Thanks Jim Rowley & Rubber Cow!) So far on the street, the bike feels GREAT! No more of that rear end swaying on pavement, lots more precise steering. I haven't taken in the dirt yet, but this weekend is the ADV Eastern Air Head Rally, and I plan on seeing if all my labor will work...and not break the frame in the process.

MoMan screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 10:50 PM
MoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Frame Mods

Hi Moman. I have been giving my R80 a full Makeover in preparation for our Canada/Alaska trip next year and couldnt resist a few frame mods of my own. I hav'nt figured out how to put more than 1 photo on at a time so the first is of the steering head area. If you want to see some more I will post others.
Ps: I have ordered the Staintune System. Should be here in about a week.
Phil

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 01-19-2009 at 12:40 AM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
Nice work Phil! Beautiful welds. I'd never seen the brace between the backbone and the one below it. What's its purpose?

Wirespokes screwed with this post 10-11-2006 at 07:28 AM
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Frame Mods

Like MoMan, I spent considerable time seaching the net to see what others had done. One of the sites I found showed where a frame had failed around the steering head area. The main tube and side plates had been stressed and had split. I dont know what sort of riding was being done to do this but it showed up a weak point. It would appear the force required to do this is a forward pull at the bottom of the steering stem. My solution was to put a tube in from the bottom of the stem, back to the hoizontal tube.
I cant take credit for the welding, a freind is a welding guru. He used to work for the KR 500 GP team making exhausts and frames. I fabricate the parts and drag the bike to his place for welding.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,723
Question for you guys:

does the rear pivot-point gusset inhibit getting at the trans/shaft connection at all?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
MoMan OP
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Question for you guys:
does the rear pivot-point gusset inhibit getting at the trans/shaft connection at all?
It does a little, but still very managable to tighten the bolts on the driveshaft to the tranny. Now if there was something to help getting that damn rubber boot in place...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Frame Mods And Things

Hi MOMAN, I see youve spent some time putting conduits on the wiring loom. Nice. Do you have a large alternator to drive those lights. I see an extra tube tied with the brake cable. Remote breather for the diff ? Any chance of a photo of the diff to see how you did it. Is routed into the airbox.
The last of my frame mods was the sub frame as most of my riding is done 2 up and often loaded. I wanted to keep the brace subtle. I only did the right side as the left side has the muffler which provides a degree of bracing

Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #8
MoMan OP
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
Hi MOMAN, I see youve spent some time putting conduits on the wiring loom. Nice. Do you have a large alternator to drive those lights. I see an extra tube tied with the brake cable. Remote breather for the diff ? Any chance of a photo of the diff to see how you did it. Is routed into the airbox....
Thanks! Had a total electric failure some years back because of wires rubbing against the frame and am determined that will never happen again. I got a 400W alternator upgrade from Motorrad Elektrik http://www.motoelekt.com/
With the upgrade, I can run the PIAA's, GPS, XM, Gerbings Heated Jacket Liner, have the brights on with a turn signal blinking and the alternator still is pushing 13 volts.

The extra tube tied to the brake cable is the crankcase vent hose I routed through the airbox. I'm planning to do the diff breather routing later this year.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,161
There's some beautiful welding work photographed in this thread.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Nice Thread, MoMan!!!! I just got back from Scavenging through the Maint. Shop for scrap Steel pieces for Todd and Myself Got off to a Great Start!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum-GS
Nice Thread, MoMan!!!! I just got back from Scavenging through the Maint. Shop for scrap Steel pieces for Todd and Myself Got off to a Great Start!

Boojum!
Before anyone starts welding reinforcements to their frame they should read Tony Foales's book on chassis design. I'm not an engineer etc. but from what I've learned most of these reinforcements " will stiffen the frame but make it weaker,especially in fatique" quoting someone who knows. It all has to do with stress risers, area of moment of inertia, neutral axis's, tension, compression and myriad of other stuff that is beyond me. Anyway don't shoot the messenger, just make absolutely sure you know what you are doing unless you have a spare frame laying around. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
Before anyone starts welding reinforcements to their frame they should read Tony Foales's book on chassis design. I'm not an engineer etc. but from what I've learned most of these reinforcements " will stiffen the frame but make it weaker,especially in fatique" quoting someone who knows. It all has to do with stress risers, area of moment of inertia, neutral axis's, tension, compression and myriad of other stuff that is beyond me. Anyway don't shoot the messenger, just make absolutely sure you know what you are doing unless you have a spare frame laying around. JT
I'd love to hear what people have to say about this. Been thinking of reinforcing my g/s for a central america trip in 08, and it seems like making things stiffer (except for the subframe) just sends the stress to a different part of the bike's frame. This happenned when the first really stiff telemark bindings came out years ago. The bindings were solid, but they put so much stress on the screws that the bindings ripped out of the skis...and that sucks.
elmoreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:

Totally understood, and well put! I have an Engineer friend, and two metal crafters that I will be consulting with BEFORE I pop the first weld! So, YES! I will be careful. and thanks for your comments!
Next thing we know, we'll all have Mad Max Airheads!:lol3

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
I just checked the price of this book, $299.98 at Amazon
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
I made a few mods to my G/S as well .... Pics under the link "Bike" at www.nohorizons.net

In Nepal at the moment ... Everyhting seems to hold up well.

K