Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Tracker

Oddometer: n/a
Eastern WA. Advrider Fest (5/2-4) Pic's

Got out on the V-Strom thursday and made it over the pass to eastern Oregon, then headed north to Wasington to drop in on the eastern Wa, Advrider fest. Got to hang with Hutchman, Mr Cob
and Crazy Ray, before I had to split back friday. Thanks guys!

Pic - L- R Crazy Ray, Hutchman, Mr Cob
and yes Hutch is like 10 feet tall
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
Tracker

here's a pic taken on the way back. this horse is made from rusted horse shoes... Way Cool!
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
Tracker

Ghost Rider pic
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
So what does the V Strom top out at? Looks like you had some nice weather in the North Wet. Ironic since it has been raining here what seems to be nonstop.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
Tracker

Quote:
Said Ostrich:
So what does the V Strom top out at? Looks like you had some nice weather in the North Wet. Ironic since it has been raining here what seems to be nonstop.

Took the Strom up to 125 mph on this road and it still had more pull left, had a strong southwest headwind, so I backed it down to 80 mph for a comfortable control level.

Weather was great for the ride, nary a drop of rain going or coming back. Rain clouds were looming over Eugene when I pulled the Strom into the garage. (made it!)

Here's anoughter pic from the ride - Stonehedge replica at Maryhill overlooking the Columbia river.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Said Tracker:
Ghost Rider pic
Tracker,

Where is this road?

TIA,

Steve in So Cal
Old 05-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
Tracker

Quote:
Said Steves1150RT:
Tracker,

Where is this road?

TIA,

Steve in So Cal
Steve, its called Sellards Rd. pic taken right after it crosses SR 221 in SE Wa. Took this route to Goldendale then down the Klickitat river on SR 142 to Hood River. Dayam fine MC rd, fast sections, twisty sections, very little traffic, awesome views - Mt Baker, Mt Hood, Columbia River.

P.S. - want to add a big thank you to Hutchman for scratching the directions on how to get there on my Oregon map, Hutch you were right on with the ink !

cheers, Tracker.......

Tracker screwed with this post 05-04-2003 at 08:24 AM
Old 05-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #8
hutchman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Since Tracker started this thread, I am going to continue it.

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!

It started Thursday evening with Mr. Cob, Crazy Ray, and Tracker at the ORV campground northwest of Richland.

We got up early the next morning and sat around shooting the breeze until about 1030. I managed to catch a pic of some flowers, my Dakar, and the cooling tower plume from the Columbia Generating Station, the northwest's only operating nuclear power plant.

Not so early the next morning we headed north the the BLM land on the Saddle Mountains out side of Mattawa, WA. On the way we stopped to view the reactors on the Columbia River in the Hanford Reservation.

Its hard to see in this view, but the closest building is "B" Reactor. This was the reactor that produced the Plutonium for the bomb dropped on Nagasaki.

We continued north to the BLM land in the Saddle Mountains.

Mr Cob taking a pic from the top of the ridge.

It is still early in the year and not yet dry, so we have green grass and flowers in the dessert.

This last picture was taken just before Crazy Ray decided to try the hill to the right of the picture.

The result of this attempt!

The last stop of the day was an overlock of the Columbia River. What a view!

Saturday morning we got started a little earlier. Most of us were headed the BLM land around Whiskey Dick Mountain. Chopperman took off on his own south towards the Hells canyon area of Oregon. I showed him a route on the map and off he went. Little did any of us realize it would take him 12 hours to get back, but that is the subject of another post!

Duck Boy (new member!), Deacon (on his way home), and Bill S. went south and west for a tour of some great pavement riding between Richland and Goldendale.

The rest of us went north for some new excitement! We stopped at the entrance and those who wanted to aired down. The Jeep in the picuture is mine. I overworked my bad leg on Friday, so Saturday I decided to give it a rest and break the new Jeep in. I had about 400 miles on it when we left!

An Advrider salute from Wombat, Curmudgeon, Rubber Cow, Crazy Ray, Mr. Cob, and Red Menace. We thought we had ridden some tough roads up tho this point until we realized one of the SUVs in the background is a SATURN!

The next 2 pictures were taken along the way and give some idea of what the country is like in which we were riding. I think that "this is the worst it gets." Notice the side car. Red Menace rode that thing through all the tough stuff. He gets a bucket full of Advrider points for the effort!

After riding the ridge for a couple of miles, we dropped down into the Whiskey Dick Creek Valley. The next pic was taken at a stop on the way out of the valley. I'm not sure what Wombat is thinking, but maybe we need to have a caption contest for this one!

As all good things must, Saturday ended with cleanup -

and relaxation -

Chopperman on his return -

Red Menace giving my son a ride in the hack -

I would like to thank everyone for attending the 1st annual event. It was a blast for me. We will try to have another weekend get-together on the same weekend next year.

List of friends attending in no special order - Juijitsu, Rubber Cow, Rubber Ducky and Mrs. Rubber Ducky, Wombat, Snail Darter, Duck Boy, Mr. Cob, Crazy Ray, Curmudgeon, Red Menace, Chopperman, Tracker, Deacon, and Bill S. Once again, thanks to you all for making this a successful weekend.

One more thing - no matter what any of the other attendees try to tell you, it did not happen!
IBA #11656

"We are past the worst of it" - Yours truely.
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Great photos!!
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:36 PM   #10
Tracker

Quote:
Said hutchman:
One more thing - no matter what any of the other attendees try to tell you, it did not happen!
OK ! Whos gonna spill the story, what did I miss ??

Great pics Hutch.....
Old 05-04-2003, 05:48 PM   #11
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Wink The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

Howdy All,

I just got home from spending some quality time as one of the participants in the first annual "Hutchman SE Washington Dual Sport Festival". I will post some photos later.

However this needs to said LOUD and CLEAR, when Hutchman says, "I think we have covered the worst of it", DON'T believe him. Even thou Hutch leads you into ever more punishing terrain, all the while professing that it gets better, he does make a great trail guide.

His wife Billy, put on a great impromptu feed for us, THANK YOU Billy.

All in all, it was a five star weekend.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #12
Motobrandt
Free Opinions Here

Oddometer: 630
Thumb What He Said!

That was truly a fun and exciting weekend. It was funny to me that when we were getting ready to go on "the Ride", I realized that the last time that I rode with someone else off-road I was 13 years old and was learning to ride on my friend's YZ125. Since then I have ridden solo. I know that many, most, maybe all of ya'all like to say that you should never go off-roading by yourself, and I wont argue with that. You probably shouldn't. But I just don't have any "adventurous" friends up here. So I do what I must. I have yet to be stranded, wounded, or killed, but I've got time for that stuff later.
As for riding with these guys it was a BLAST I couldn't have had more fun. Just ask Cobb and RubberCow if I ever caught up to them without a shit-eating grin from ear to ear, laughing in my helmet through the mud splashed all over my face.
Thanks again Hutchman for organizing this thing. I know the turnout got smaller as the day approached but it's quality not quantity that counts and I had fun for ten. At least the wind has died down.
Thanks to all of you bastards that showed up and rode it was great to meet you and hang out with all of you. Now enough of that :ymca shit.
Pictures coming. Rock on!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:15 PM   #13
hutchman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Mrs. Hutchman took a few pics Friday during the BBQ. Thought I'd share them with you!

Crazy Ray, Mr. Cob, Wombat, Rubber Cow, and Deacon.

Same group with the addition of Red Menace and Chopperman.

Curmudgeon and Duck Boy.

By the way, for those of you who were here, the wind is now blowing steadily at about 20 mph to 30 mph with higher gusts.

I do think however, the worst is over!!

Hutch
IBA #11656

"We are past the worst of it" - Yours truely.
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:42 PM   #14
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Hutchman, You and your crew kick ass. . A special thanks to Billy for tossing together a feast. And then getting it squared away before any of us noticed. serious thanks to you Lady!

Hitch, you are a stellar host and it is nice to hang with a dude that I can see eye to eye with.

I really appreciate you all getting concerned about my well being when I went AWOL. Lesson learned...make a number list so communications can be established. FWIW you guys made the right decision. Momma said she would have grounded me *and* kicked my ass if you guys had called her to report me missing Saturday night.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:13 PM   #15
Crazy Ray
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Wicked " The worst is over, I know it doesn't get any worse than this "

Howdy Hutchman,

It has been said that if you don't have a picture of it, it doesn't count. Guys I'm here to tell ya that Hutch is one toucgh Adverture rider. Hutch had a very bumbed up leg, and still he went riding with Mr Cob and I. Even though you were hurt you rode anyway, along with Mr. Cobs hurt ankle. Hutch went down in some really nasty rocky terrain where the two lane 4 wheel drive trail turned into a 1 lane goat trail riding a street tire Dakar. The only thing Hutch said is I'm traped Ray. Thankyou for sacraficing your leg. You road hard, and have a great deal of respect from me Crazy Ray.

I would like to thank you for putting this ride together for us. I had a great time. I hope to meet everyone again for another geat weekend ride.

I would like to thank you Billy for the work you did at the camp to get us feed on Friday night Thankyou Again!!!

My trailar will always be open to store gear in when we are out riding.

I meet a great bunch of guys this weekend.

Ray

I tought I saw a pusy tat
Crazy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote