User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
timdog OP
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 618
Top speed on an Elite?

I have an '89 Honda ELite 50cc. It has over 5000 miles on it and has been well maintained but never rebuilt. It tops out at a 25 mph with me on it. (6ft, 185lbs)

Is this about right? Or does it need a rebuild?

Thanks
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
That sounds slow to me. My 80cc Elite will do 42mph (indicated) on level ground. Before doing a total rebuild, have you checked basic stuff like air filter, fuel delivery, etc? A while back my top speed dropped from 42 down into the low thirties; a new air filter returned things to the way they should be.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
timdog OP
a.k.a. Josh

I cleaned the airfilter about 100 miles ago. Didn't seem to make a difference, as it wasn't really dirty.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,918
I think honda made one of those as a moped and the other as a scooter the scooter should do just short of 40mph the moped should do a little over 25 but not hit 30.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
sherco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
elite speed

My 50cc 1989 Elite will do about 30-35 mph by the scooter's speedo----but who knows how accurate that is
sherco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
My '85 Honda Elite 150 will top out at about 56-58mph on level ground. Acceleration is tedious above 50mph. This is taking into account that per my GPS, the speedo reads about 2mph over actual speeds. I weigh about 230 with gear. It's slow off the line now, so I'm going to look at getting new variator weights. I believe the originals are still in there and it has 17,000 miles on it.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
dragster180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
check for possible factory restricters that were designed to keep power down.
Most new 2 stroke 50cc scoots have combination of one or all of these . Awasher in the variator, too small of a carb jet, and or a welder in washer in the exhaust. If it had any of these taken them out will make a huge difference.
dragster180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Numbnuts_007
inseam impaired

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster180
check for possible factory restricters that were designed to keep power down.
Most new 2 stroke 50cc scoots have combination of one or all of these . Awasher in the variator, too small of a carb jet, and or a welder in washer in the exhaust. If it had any of these taken them out will make a huge difference.
i agree with the drag, check for a restricter washer, and or carbon build up in the exaust pipe. take the exhast off the see how it does with out it on there? probably will be loud as hell, but you will know if it is the exhaust resricting things.

resistance is futile,
you will be assimilated!!

Chris

98' honda helix 250
06 kawi bayou 250 atv
07 KLR651
91 jeep commanchee eliminator 4x4 (son's)
gone:
92 katana 600
78 XS 750, 3 banger
80' elsinor 125 (last air cooled model)
too many small XR's to count,
Numbnuts_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
Jtwo
Jtwo

Oddometer: 62
Elite 80 top end management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish
That sounds slow to me. My 80cc Elite will do 42mph (indicated) on level ground. Before doing a total rebuild, have you checked basic stuff like air filter, fuel delivery, etc? A while back my top speed dropped from 42 down into the low thirties; a new air filter returned things to the way they should be.
Ditto. My 1987 Elite 80 does an indicated 40-45 top end level ground. Major cause of air cleaner mess with these little engines is that blow-back tube (crank case vent). The higher RPM 4-stroke engines can actually vaporize crankcase oil. The residue settles in the blow-back tube, and you are supposed to empty it. If it fills up, it sends that oil residue into the air box. I know it's not environmentally friendly, but I just took the clamp and plug off the blow-back tube on my 80. Ain't nuttin building up in there anymore. It drips a little dot when parked, but at least I don't foul any more air cleaners. This little scoot actually uses very little oil, considering it is over 18 years old! It also gets over 130 mpg. My main complaint is the damned bistarter. It is probably not releasing right because, although the machine starts well, when I put on some gas to go cold, it stalls. Smells rich. It does this several times before I get it going. Wish it had a manual choke kit.

J2
Jtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,978
My elite had that same problem with the blowback. I also ended up with a little "vent tube" at the rear bumper, but it kept my air filter clean.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
I have an '89 Honda ELite 50cc. It has over 5000 miles on it and has been well maintained but never rebuilt. It tops out at a 25 mph with me on it. (6ft, 185lbs)

Is this about right? Or does it need a rebuild?

Thanks
Up to the early '90's when I closed my scooter shop(so I don't know about newer models), Honda sold their 50's two ways, a full power scoot and a restricted version. The difference was the header pipe and carb jetting. The restricted pipe was a single diameter up to the muffler body and the more powerful one was stepped.
At any rate, the slow speed is a result of an exhaust restriction, either the muffler, the exh. port or both. When fed a steady diet of crappy oil, the mufflers clog up with the result of the ole potato up the exhaust pipe.
The easiest way to know is to put your finger over the outlet while it's idling. If the motor dies instantly, the pipe is clogged.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
timdog OP
a.k.a. Josh

Very interesting. Is there a place to get the other "stepped" exhaust?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
Thumbs down downhill mine's lots faster

I just took mine off the beach because of rust developing onthe wheels and now have it at 5,345 feet above sea level in Boulder. It seems very sluggish, but will still do only about 43 mph: it is a 04 elite 80
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote