Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
lisapacheco OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question 1981 honda passport c70 restoration?

I want to restore a 1981 honda c70 that I've found on craigslist. I have a basic understanding of car engines and maintenance, but I know absolutely nothing about scooters. I've found lots of great resources online about the c70 including great places to find parts and manuals. What I'm wondering is if this bike is WORTH restoring?
Here is a photo
http://images.craigslist.org/3Ee3L53...30a09d105d.jpg

The guy selling it knows nothing about it, got it from a buddy. It isn't running but has the frame, gas tank, and motor. No wiring.
How difficult do you think this will be to fix up and get running? It looks pretty rough.
lisapacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442
Kind of have to say use the search part of forum under battle scooters for info . Lots of post and info if you look. dr atv has all the parts you need. Think they even are selling seats for 40 bucks that read ct 50 . Leg shields are 50 bucks for seconds which mean you ll have to cut to fit. Here you image . You just had to hit post above and enter the url next time The first question is does it run or at least have compression and spark. It look like it may be a good starting point but there are only worth 700 to 3 grand max. eg part here for wiring loom are 15 to 70 bucks http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw...N+WIRE+HARNESS
also the other main place for parts. http://www.dratv.com/c70passportnew.html

IF the price was 150 bucks or less I go for it. the engine is worth the price. The muffler is worth 30 bucks etc wheels 40

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 09:17 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
lisapacheco OP
n00b

I'm just wondering if its worth the trouble of restoring because it is in such poor condition as is
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,171
I have an '81 blue Passport C70 with 9k on it. It's not a show bike (it was when I got it) but pretty decent and runs perfect. I paid $700 and now figure its worth $800. I live in a area where they are known, desirable, and prices for bikes generally are much higher than the US average. So, depending where you live, you could find a good one for the same or less, or find a good one for $350 or so with something minor and get it going easily for very little and then spend a a small amount on cosmetics to make it look restored. The one pictured looks like a major project, at least for a small bike.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I got an '82

I have had a couple. This is the one I have left.

klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
$300 for a new motor with carb, CDI, and harness and $200 or so more for
misc stuff and you'll have a nice ride.

MotoRandy123 screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:52 PM
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
lisapacheco OP
n00b

the guy is selling it for $30
I'm thinking about buying a honda sl70 instead in great condition (missing a muffler) for $600 instead
Since this bike isn't running and I can tell from the picture that it is missing quite a few parts, I just think it's going to be a really big project
I haven't gone to meet the guy yet and see it in person
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442
Buy at 30 buck because it's worth that in parts . You could make at least 200 bucks sell it in parts. Really with the reg papers in hand and 300 bucks in parts and time you ll have a bike that is going to out last you. As long as the engine kicks over it's worth that. Parts are cheap even new tires are only 20 bucks each at dr atv. At this price as long as you don't spend more then 500 bucks in parts you ll still get more then you paid for it . They ve only made 60 million of them so far. Once you ve got the parts you ll spend 20 to 40 hours to make run again . Most parts can be found use at your local old school bike yard or ebay . At the end of the day you ll have something you ll know is going to not let you down. No matter what you buy you ll have to dump cash into it and take it apart just to see everyone ok. Eg clutch , brakes etc.