bigluelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
Cameron1977
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Performance Issues CH150 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
The carb is dirty. The reason it will top out sometime and other times it won't is because the slide of the CV carb is lifted by the negitive pressure of the intake charge moving thru the venturi. This neg. pressure is routed thru an internal passageway in the carb body that is partialy obscured.
My recommendation is that you take the carb to a shop where it can be cleaned in an agitator. An experienced tech would know how to check the carb body to make sure all the internal passagewats are free and clear.
As always, check inside the fuel tank to make sure it's cleanand shinny.

Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models.

Also, while the carb is off, replace the prone to cracking. original manifold with Honda's updated design.

Always tighten the header to cyl. bolts first and then the muffler securing bolts.

The Scooter Doctor
Thanks for this response. I've been to two mechanics already without luck. They replaced the power regulator ($400) but i am still having performance issues. Put on new tires today (they were bald, dangerous) along with a new belt, but still have low performance.

Seemingly randomly (but usually when the weather is warm) it will "snap out of it" and feel full powered, or when i first start it up.

Is there anything i can try to clean the carb without taking it to a mechanic? What the heck is seafoam? Literally seafoam from the ocean? Are those car carb cleaning additives worth it? I've been putting 91 fuel in it per recommendation, is that worth it?

Thanks! I'm going to post images soon of my scooter.

Cameron
Cameron1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
stand
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Slow clutch engage on ch 150

I have an 85 honda elite ch150 and it seems I need quite a bit of throttle before it starts to move, any suggestions?
stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Be a little more specific. What are you comparing it to - a motorcycle throttle?

The CVT transmission in the Elite will have a bit of a lag and come on up to speed - especially at the initial start - slower than a bike with a manual transmission.

You might be okay. Find someone else with a auto scooter and compare rides with them.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #20
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1977
Thanks for this response. I've been to two mechanics already without luck. They replaced the power regulator ($400) but i am still having performance issues. Put on new tires today (they were bald, dangerous) along with a new belt, but still have low performance.

Seemingly randomly (but usually when the weather is warm) it will "snap out of it" and feel full powered, or when i first start it up.

Is there anything i can try to clean the carb without taking it to a mechanic? What the heck is seafoam? Literally seafoam from the ocean? Are those car carb cleaning additives worth it? I've been putting 91 fuel in it per recommendation, is that worth it?

Thanks! I'm going to post images soon of my scooter.

Cameron
One of mine does that too.... probably a little piece of something partially plugging the main jet. Sometimes it blocks the flow of fuel, other times the little piece shifts and allows the fuel by... Take off the carb, clean it, and put it back together.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #21
stand
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for reply on clutch

The engine seems fine, it's just that the RPM'S have to be increased to about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle before the scoot starts to move. I'll take the belt off and clutch apart and check the rollers to see if there's any wear. I just bought it and don't know anyone else in the area who has one. Where's the best place to buy parts online?

Thanks
stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #22
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Drivetrain swap update.

Also, I will probably be picking mine up from the shop today. I had swapped a '84 125cc drive train in place of the 150cc after trashing the spline on the shaft from the crank to the CVT. I was stranding me after 10-15 minutes of riding after the swap and going thru batteries also.

Battery wiring on the donor 125 drive train was fudged. A fellow rider helped me put MUCH larger terminals on the wiring, but the weight and vibration trashed two batteries - THE BATTERY TERMINALS WERE ACTUALLY FRACTURING!. I had the shop put the right size ring terminals back on and they replaced the spark plug with one of those 'Iridium' types.

Also, near WOT, the speed could sometimes vary without a change in throttle input from me. Had them put new variator weights in. They added a paddle switch for the headlight, so it lights up again. Now I can start the bike without having the headlight on.

ALSO - it was still running like crap when I went to pay the bill, so they kept the bike. The last thing I heard them say is that it might have been the coils.

Wrong - another cheap fix! They replaced the plug wire - that fixed the driveability issue. So check your plug wires also if it's still running like crap.

I can't wait to get it back - it will be reliabilty for the first time since I trashed the splines in 2007.

"

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #23
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
where are the pics?
notdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Thumbs down

Well, I went to the shop to meet the owner and the bike wouldn't start, not only that, it was backfiring.

Whenever your Elite backfires, that means one thing - you have, or have previously just destroyed your exhaust gasket. It's about a $5.00 part and a 45 minute fix.

So the scooter is still there.

But here is a picture of the donor cycle for the drivetrain.

And here's my Elite after the swap, one of the times that it stranded me post-drivetrain swap.

"

Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
tcjames.yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Cool elite150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass
ive owned 3 elite 150's over the years and 58 was the exact top speed of all three.

"Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models."

couldnt agree more!!!

but, 87 model 150 elite's are easier to do custom paint jobs on.
which after 13 years outside, yours probably needs.

Exactly, she is the classic 80's scooter on the earth~~
everyone knowss in the terminator film, the mother of future Sara Ann Cornor rode the same model as you own one, it worth you cherish and keep it forever!!!
tcjames.yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
Cameron1977
n00b

Oddometer: 7
performance/sluggish still

I was wondering how difficult it is to clean the jets or to rebuild the carb. Any thoughts on the Chinese Carbs on Ebay, Honda dealer says crap. If I bought a rebuild kit is it something I could do, I've replaced the belt and brakes myself so far.

I'm still having performance issues, intermittent power. When runny poorly the acceleration is flat, and it tops out around 45 mph. Seems sluggish, after I've ridden it for a while and restarted while warm, or when the weather is warm (over 80) it will run normally (either right when i start it or while riding). I've taken it to 3 shops and they tend to give me the response "seems to run normal" (honda and two others) even though I tell them I know it is not and that it sometimes runs at "full power". frustrating.

The idle can sometimes spike (intermittent) to the point where the clutch almost wants to engage. Usually when it is warm for a while the idle will return to normal

15000 miles

I have:
replaced the belt
valves adjusted, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced a gasket. -by Honda shop (they say it seems to run fine :()
checked by two other shops previous to honda
replaced battery and rectifier
replaced air filter
replaced tires (dont think exhaust gasket was replaced)

Have not:
cleaned carb
replaced roller weights
replaced clutch shoes
replaced bearings
replaced petcock

noticed:
while running and when i put on to main stand while parking... the idle drops and sometimes stalls.

crappy photo:

Cameron1977 screwed with this post 11-19-2009 at 11:39 AM
Cameron1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
nacree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
87 Elite 150- also tops out at 45

I have the same problem with my 87 Elite 150- it absolutely tops out at 45. Seems to run stellar other than that. The rollers and belt are in spec. I am thinking it has got to be a carb problem but that has been replaced so I am a little stumped.

I have an Elite 50 that is faster- I am wondering if the 87s were intentionally limited for some reason. I am really beginning to think that the variator may be undersized to keep top speeds down. From what I can tell the belt is fully reaching the top of the variator and so I think that may be limiting top speed.

Please update if you make any progress and I will do the same.

Thanks,

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico
nacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

I like that yellow bike, Cameron.

Throw one or two ounces of Seafoam

in the gas tank. That will help ungum the carbs.

My 150 with the 125 drivetrain tops out at about an indicated 52 - which means 50mph, since the speedometer is always 2mph optimistic.

Make sure your spark plug wire is good. Make sure there is no air leaking in where the carb joins the boot. Exhaust gaskets okay? Mine needs to be changed.

"

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #29
dorus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Honda Ch150 & 250

I have worked a many of these ole tanks. I have 150 + 250.
I had all panels sprayed ( painted ) by LineX as well as spraying rubber coating on back side of old panel. Makes them much stronger and maintenance free. I re-dyed all exterior plastic and rubber with Renew Protect (.com)... even seat and grips.
New carb, all springs upgrade, 9.5 gram sliders, open exhuast tip (1in), much larger tires... Ch150 will hold 70mph... even maintained 45 UP Blue Ridge Parkway.
Any one found performance cams for these old GY6?

Dorus
dorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjames.yu
Exactly, she is the classic 80's scooter on the earth~~
everyone knowss in the terminator film, the mother of future Sara Ann Cornor rode the same model as you own one, it worth you cherish and keep it forever!!!

My 1986 elite has a top speed of 66mph, could just be condition, elevation or something along those lines though.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote