Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #151
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,449
test bike...

Honda 50 step through.
The honda dealer was 20 yards from dmv and rented them cheap for the short riding skills test. Lets see was that back in 1971???? yikes,

I am an Old fart.

just remember " To be this old and wise, you must first be young and stupid"
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #152
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 167
A 70-something Honda CB550 Four. I think I was 19. I made it to the DMV with the bike (had to make an appt a week in advance) and the tester lady disqualified me because the horn didn't work. Had to reschedule and wait another week. (This was the big city -- Eugene, Oregon (ha!)) Finally got to the test and I managed to scatter the cones and have a few mishaps. Went to stop the bike on the line and the front brake lurched and I almost dumped it. Went to catch the bars and my thumb hit the cruise control. So there I was, holding the bike with it about to fall (half over), cc stuck on, clutch in, bike WFO! The tester lady calmly walked over and slid back the CC lever while I was holding everything else and we got it back up. I don't know how or why but she let me just barely pass. I'd say that was about 70K miles ago... many happy miles and lots of great bikes. -L
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #153
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
2006 Yamaha XT225. Took it in my home county and flunked, horribly. They are terribly tough on tests. People who take MSF courses still have a low pass rate if they take the county test. Rode to an adjacent county one week later and passed with flying colors driving on the street.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #154
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,167
When I started ride'n there was no motorcycle license required in California. When it started a few years later; anyone with a motorcycle grandfathered in, no testing required, written or riding.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #155
patsue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Passed my test on the first bike I ever purchased for myself. It was a 99 Suzuki Savage 650. It was great for the test, I got a 100%.

Traded it for a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan
Traded that for a 99 Harley Sportster 1200
Traded that for an 03 Kawasaki 1500 Classic
Sold it...
Bought a 04 Harley 1200 Roadster
Traded that for an 05 Sportster 1200 Custom
Traded that for an 06 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Sold that...

Later on, got my 07 KLR and moved to Colorado.

I am keeping the KLR...

pat
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #156
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Yamaha RS100 in 1981. The "Test" consisted of riding around the block a couple of times an emergency stop and a highway code test. A peice of pish!

I continue to thank my Mother to this day for insisting that I take the much tougher RAC/ACU training and test. I still fell off and stuff, but I would have got in heaps more trouble if I hadn't done it.

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #157
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

Oddometer: 56
In 1970 in Michigan, ya' didn't take a road test, just a written one. Pass that, pay the fee for the cycle endorsement on your driver's license, and you were all set. How times have changed.

Present scooter: '01 XR650L
ttp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #158
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 401
74 Yamaha 650

Just about 3 years ago...you had to get a learner's permit then ride over to the test site. The 650 was a great bike, but chews up alternator brushes so mine was not charging well. I got half way thru the test and the bike stalled. It takes about 3 weesk to schedule a test, so I wanted to get this over with. I asked he guy next in line of he would not mind if I used his bie, a Honda Ascot. Restarted and passed clean...after 40 years without a license and finishing the Ironbutt in 1986 on a Triumph Trident.
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #159
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuck
..... The 650 was a great bike, but chews up alternator brushes .....
Ditto on a '76 650 I had. Stator troubles. It was a great bike though.

Present scooter: '01 XR650L
ttp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #160
EJ
Not an Island

Oddometer: 587
Laugh 1983 R100rt

Last year on my very first bike...a 1983 BMW R100RT. Passed with flying colors. Test consisted of a right-hand circle, a left-hand circle, a figure eight, and an acceleration then stop procedure. Pretty easy!
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #161
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,263
Laugh 1979 Honda CX500

She sure was a nice bike. Got my MC endorsement 1 year after I got her... remember my sliding off the bike when going through the cones... (mental note... don't armor all the seat before your driving test...)

Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #162
swhite
Black Dog

Oddometer: 10
The incomparable Allstate Moped

1967 Chattanooga, TN
Once up and down the street and we were good to go.

This was one mean machine, but is sure beat the bicycle!
Name:  Sears Allstate Moped.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  25.2 KB
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #163
Nataraj
Life's a dance

Oddometer: 53
Kawasaki KZ750LTD

In WI back in the olden days we had tiered licensing (1-500cc and 501+ cc) and my first bike was a Honda CB200T. No way I wanted to do the test twice, so I renewed my learners permit a couple of times while I got good at riding. Then I bought the Kawi KZ750 LTD and practiced like crazy. I showed up at the DMV an hour and a half early so I could watch other riders test. It looked grim. NO ONE passed while I watched. When I tested I thought I did great. I waited and waited for the range guy to finish scoring me. Finally he called me over and said, and I love this,

"When I saw you on that bike I automatically failed you before you started. That's too big a bike for a beginner. Then you rode the test and only missed one point (you were allowed to miss 7 or so). I was still going to fail you just on principle because the bike is too big. Then I realized I'd seen you sitting there all morning watching the others. I decided you must be a smart guy, and been practicing on a smaller bike. So, I passed you."

Woot!
Nataraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #164
triplethreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
bike test

Mine was a blue '78 Honda Hawk 400, it was actually another kids bike... first time I thought about this is a Loooooonnggg time.

Where we had our road tests in Delhi, NY, the DMV was at the bottom of a hill. A steep hill. The first thing you got to do was pull out (after checking your mirrors and looking over your shoulder) and pull to the middle of the hill, stop, and take off again without stalling. From there, the test was, shall we say, down hill, just some figure 8's a circles and a drive through town....

Got my bike license first try. Needed two tries for my car license.... damn Chevelle....

The rest of us do www.DixieDualSport.com

The Website, Forum and Community For Southern Adventure Riders!

'04 Suzuki DR650
triplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #165
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,827
1968 Yamaha 305 Street Scrambler. There was a cones course and we had to drive around the block. If we made it back we passed. That was my last year of high school and was sure nice to have a set of wheels of my own.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote