Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1141
smokey3644
not so n00bish

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy650 View Post
got my MC license in 1963... no test required. Never have taken a test yet.
I got my first bike in 62, at that time in Cal. all you needed was a learners permit.
smokey3644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #1142
aint_life_grand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Took mine on a 82 Seca 550 when I was 17. I rode that bike from Portland, Me > Charleston, SC, with only my learners permit, to attend my mothers wedding. Left Charleston the Sunday morning after the wedding and got back to Portland monday afternoon feeling extremely confident to take my test the following day.
aint_life_grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #1143
bloodandmotoroil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
a 45 harley 125cc hummer when i was 16
bloodandmotoroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1144
pmacb
Junior

Oddometer: 190
Oh the shame...

I failed my first road test on a borrowed R80ST in '83 or '84. I had that bike for a full day plus before the test and rather than practicing the slow speed stuff that I knew was going comprise the test I spent my time tearing around Grand Island, NY having a blast. Of course, when I was confronted with a U-turn or figure 8 in the test I blew it completely to the point of lugging the engine and nearly dropping the bike.

Somehow I still ended up the owner of a FT500 Ascot after college until it was time for diapers and playpens.

Fast forward 25 years and I was smart enough to finally take the MSF course locally and passed on their 200cc Chinese QLink "supermoto" which allowed me to upgrade my license without managing the logistics of a borrowed bike, a chase car and M-class driver just for the road test.

pmacb
pmacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #1145
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Had to take the class twice. First time took test on a Honda 250 street thing. Second time I took the experienced riders course, had to take to continue in motor school, was on a Road King that I picked up the day before the class started. not the easiest to but made it through. Only dumped it twice, but that was the easy three days of class.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #1146
SuperMarionation
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Test taken in 1977 on a 1974 Honda CB125S (all [alleged] 9.5bhp of it) in Yeovil, Zummerzet. The DoT tester admitted to nearly stepping out in front of the wrong bike coming down the street when it came to the emergency stop "test".
SuperMarionation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #1147
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I took it on a Kawasaki Vulcan 800. It wasn't my bike so I was super nervous about dropping it. I stalled it right before starting the cone weave but I did everything else perfect so I still passed. Since then, I make it a habit to practice the course every few weeks on the bikes that I've owned since then to keep my low speed skills up. The cone weave can be fun once you get good at it. I wish I could try it on a small 250 to see how quickly I could do it now.

I just wish I was told Captain Crash's tip about keeping the speed up in the cone weave before I took the test. It is harder when you try to creep through the cones versus going at quick walking pace. That was my biggest problem was going too slow. I also had a problem of looking at the cones instead of looking at the right riding line.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #1148
dreemrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
The hard way....

I did my test on a 1986 Honda Goldwing!! Try wrestling that thing through the cone weave! And I did it on the first try but it was a real nailbiter.
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #1149
Chaplain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
First test in PA why back when was on a Yamaha RD125 two stroke twin. I had to ride the bike about 30 miles to the test site, and then ride it back. I remember asking the testing officer "Seems kinda strange to me that I need to take a test since if I couldn't ride the bike I probably would not have made it here." In PA at the time you could ride on just a permit with out supervision. The road test was merely to ride the bike through the same course as the cars. Use signals, etc. The one addition to the test was that you had to, on a stationary bike, look straight ahead and work all controls on command (horn, lights, signals); and without looking, reach down and turn the petcock to reserve.

In Bermuda I had to show the rental guy that I could ride up the street and back without dumping it. "IT" was some kind of Chinese scooter (100cc) I had no endorsement at the time.

In Virginia I took the MSF course on a Suzuki DL200.
Chaplain is online now   Reply With Quote