User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,608
2003 Suzuki Bandit S for 2K

I saw a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S on my local craigslist for 2k. The seller says he hasn't started in a year and just needs money. Low mileage around 10k....any thoughts?
I need a sport tourer and can't spend a lot of money right now.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
DaveB74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sounds like one to look at seriously. I have had an '03 for 4 years now, and it has been nothing but trouble free. It has taken me on multiple 2000 mile trips to the Gap and BRP and has been a joy to own.
DaveB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Yella DR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
These are the redheaded stepchildren...

Might need a carb clean out. If it's still all stock,you owe it to yourself to to get the Stage 1 kit with timing advancer from Holeshot.

I dropped to a 43t rear for mile eating and shed weight with full Delkovic system sporting their longest muffler

Made my K6 an all day delightful terror.
Can you say 80lbs of torque?

Yella DR screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 06:06 PM
Yella DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 572
I put a Stage 1 Dynojet kit on a K5 1200 Bandit. Very slight improvement on low speed driveability ( tbh it wasn´t bad before). Fuel economy bombed from 50mpg (European 4.545 ltrs) to 30 mpg. Put it back to standard. I ended up swapping the OEM sixpot calipers for 4 pot Nissins as it was cheaper at the time to get secondhand calipers in VGC rather thatn pay 70UKP per caliper for seal kits. I always found the Tokicos quite unimpressive and wooden feeling but that could just be me.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 389
I bought a Nekkid K3 a few years ago. Rebuilt the carbs. and added the Holeshot stage 1, really turned it into a screamer! Average 40mpg with 100+hp and 80ft lbs of torque. Came with a windshield as well as Givi 45L side boxes and a top box... lots of fun for not a lot of coin. Think I paid just under $3k for mine with that luggage but it had 35k miles. Valves are screw/lock so a breeze to check/adjust. Only scary part is getting stuck in traffic on the thing in summer, that engine COOKS I had heat waves coming up over the sides of the tank.

Give it a shot...

-Jake
Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
BmoreBandit
nomo B

Oddometer: 505
Solid reliable motor. Yes, the brakes felt wooden but they were plenty capable.
Just a great value bike in old tech. Classic big, somewhat lazy, UJM.
I sold mine 1G with 50k for more than you're getting this for.

Never saw any over 36-38mpg, but I had pods and all sorts of jetting. GSX choke and pods made pulling the carb 15min affair. Not that I did that often.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
fecundity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I had a 03 1200S that was a great ride. Bought that thing brand new, rode it for 3 years and several thousand miles. Very enjoyable bike, no real issues except for a petcock gasket that had a very slight leak. Some folks complained about the headlights on the S model being weak but they worked well enough for me. Really great street bike complete with centerstand and a full potmetal tool kit just like the old days. One I shoulda kept.
fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecundity View Post
One I shoulda kept.
Enter my life.

I still have mine but my Bonneville sees 90% of my riding these days. I don't have the heart to sell it but it doesn't see the use that it used to. Maybe I'll give it to a close friend or family member that wants an easy to ride "first bike"

-Jake
Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #9
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Thanks for all the replies so far...I am going to go take a look at it Thursday. I'll post up what I find. Now if I could just dig my trailer out of the snow
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,633
Look at it and GRAB IT!

I had an original 02 that I sold, and was kicking myself ever since. Picked up an 02 last August for about what yours is listed at, with 9k miles.

The seller lied about a bunch of stuff, but nothing that could not be fixed.

It got fresh powder on the frame this winter, fresh paint, and a few upgrades (not performance, as the bike has a plenty of grunt stock).

Braided brake/clutch lines, braided oil hoses, heated grips....

I'm almost done with the resto, and am looking forward to many happy miles.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
They're great bikes but I don't think I'd pay 2k for a non-running bike. It could be just the carbs, but then again, it might not. If you can do all the necessary work yourself, and everything else checks out, then it might be worth it.
RobbieAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Here's a pic from the craigslist ad.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,552
I bought my first Bandit from a junkyard for $1800, it was a green 2003 model, too.
Insurance wrote it off as "frame damage" because the steering stop one on side was broken off the frame. Broken turn signals, scratch on muffler.. title was clear.
I rode it around for 9 months and got a $2800 trade-in value for it towards a new bike.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Here's a pic from the craigslist ad.
Looks like aftermarket exhaust, windshield, and turn signals. Could be just the angle of the pic . . .

If it is only carbs, it should still start up with some ether in the airbox. Easy access - lift the seat, spray some starter fluid in, and see if it barks.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Looked it over today...9,600 miles. It turned over and tried to fire. I think a shot of ether would probably get it started, but I'm sure it needs some new gas and a cleaning of the carbs. Overall it's in nice shape, it will need a new front tire soon but chain, sprockets look good. Bodywork is nice no dents or scratches.
I just don't think I can buy it without hearing the engine...he wouldn't budge from the $2,000 asking price while I was there.