ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #166
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider
 
blimpman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Lake County Florida - The Flatlands
Oddometer: 707
Welcome...

I'd suggest handguards for any dirt riding. Small rack on the back to carry a small pack or tools or ??? You'll have loads of fun!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW
Well. I am almost in the club. Signed the purchase documents today and brought an 2006 XT225. Plan is to get insurance on it and ride it home Saturday . Weather permitting. Which doesn't look good for Saturday according to the wx guy.

Now wondering why I did such an impulsive thing. I don't have the time an energy to ride the bikes I have already. Could it be an strong urge associated with reading to many XT225 newsgroups ? Does this bike create extra time and energy ?? Besides gas what new first item will I want to buy ? Those Acerbis hand guards do look like a nice addon.

David
__________________
'09 DR650
'08 YX250F
'85 IT200
http://www.floridatrailriders.org
blimpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #167
entropysedge
chaos watcher
 
entropysedge's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: just outside of chaos
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW
Well. I am almost in the club. Signed the purchase documents today and brought an 2006 XT225. Plan is to get insurance on it and ride it home Saturday . Weather permitting. Which doesn't look good for Saturday according to the wx guy.

Now wondering why I did such an impulsive thing. I don't have the time an energy to ride the bikes I have already. Could it be an strong urge associated with reading to many XT225 newsgroups ? Does this bike create extra time and energy ?? Besides gas what new first item will I want to buy ? Those Acerbis hand guards do look like a nice addon.

David
I hope they are being that I just picked up a set for my XT the other day

Funny thing is that quite often lately, it's the XT's key that I grab first before my SV650S ... of course all the major potholes that have come up over the winter may have something to do with that ...
__________________
a Cajun deep in the heart of NC

A photograph is the past standing still in the present
entropysedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #168
deej
Deej (Deric)
 
deej's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I think what's great about the little bikes is they use very little of your time and energy, so you end up riding them more with a bigger smile on your face.

I wouldn't buy anything at first except maybe a cargo net. My DR200 is still bone stock after six years of riding. I'm thinking of a bigger front sprocket. It's the best bang for the buck I've ever gotten out of a bike. And it gets more smiles to the gallon than any other bike I've owned.

It's outside right now at work, I can see it out the window.

I know what you mean about impulse, I can't seem to get a TW200 out of my head.
A friend of mine bought a TW 200 last year and its awesome on the gravel and trails, like a billy goat, love the fat tires.
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #169
Davis53
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 548
After reading about the TW200 on this fourm, I went to the local dealer to take a look at one. I could touch both feet on the ground. It is very light and small in size. So what the heck, I bought it. Let me say it has been a blast!!! I can climb anything with the large tires, and going down a steep trail it does not skid and slip the rear tire. It just slows down. I can climb any hill and I think maybe more than my KTM 300EXC can. It does not have the top end speed but changed to a one tooth higher tooth counter shaft sprocket helped. For Sunday rides down the backroads, see a dirt trail and you are gone. I may have to buy another for my wife, but thats OK she has taken to it also.

I rode a XT225 but for some reason the fat tires sold me on the TW200. Yes the XT225 is a better road bike but, I have a good road bike. The TW200 is just a lot of fun. It is the best thing I have bought in a long time.
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #170
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53
After reading about the TW200 on this fourm, I went to the local dealer to take a look at one. I could touch both feet on the ground. It is very light and small in size. So what the heck, I bought it. Let me say it has been a blast!!! I can climb anything with the large tires, and going down a steep trail it does not skid and slip the rear tire. It just slows down. I can climb any hill and I think maybe more than my KTM 300EXC can. It does not have the top end speed but changed to a one tooth higher tooth counter shaft sprocket helped. For Sunday rides down the backroads, see a dirt trail and you are gone. I may have to buy another for my wife, but thats OK she has taken to it also.

I rode a XT225 but for some reason the fat tires sold me on the TW200. Yes the XT225 is a better road bike but, I have a good road bike. The TW200 is just a lot of fun. It is the best thing I have bought in a long time.
Dang, you guys aren't helping me stay away from the Yamaha dealer. My wife's going to flip if I get another motorcycle.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #171
DavidW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Oddometer: 112
I posted this link on another thumper thread already. But I thought it deserved a mention on the 'official XT225' thread.

The link below details the journey of the Cooper family fron NZ. Who made an impressive journey up and down the lenght of S.America , north to Alaska , then S.E. to NYC.

Mother and son on an XT225 with father and daughter on an XT600. The trip page says its an XT250, but if you check the Yamaha web page for NZ what they call an XT250 has a 223cc engine. So I think it is the same as the XT225 sold elsewhere.

http://www.cooperfamilymotorbikeexpe...co.nz/trip.htm

One picture - lots of other pictures on their website, plus journal entries.
http://www.cooperfamilymotorbikeexpe..._IMG_0246.html

Enjoy,

David
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #172
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Strongsville, OH
Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
My wife's going to flip if I get another motorcycle.
An alternate strategy is to buy the bike FOR her.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #173
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter
 
BlueRidgeKat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: BlueRidgeMountains of Virginia
Oddometer: 214
I'll add another XT to this thread.

The wife just purchased a 04 with 480 miles on it. This is a crappy pic (will get a better one soon) but the bike looks brand new and the owner must have just rode it around town for errands or something as it appears to have never been "off road".




I have dealt with the dealer that had this bike over the years and he let her have it for $3000 out the door and threw in a new HJC full face "flip up" helmet. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering the low miles and the overall "like new" condition of the bike.
Kelly Blue Book says $2850, so I figure its dead on and she paid for the so called "free" helmet.

We both rode it before purchase and it was flawless. Actually I was quite surprised because it was more "peppy" than I thought it would be, I rode the ZZR1200 over to check it out so I know just a little about "pep". I had read that the top speed was around 55mph but it went up to 70 without much of a problem and it seemed to be in its "cruising comfort zone" at 60mph which I was very pleased with and a good speed for BlueRideGal to get to all the area fire roads we have around here. This or the Suzuki DR200 was the only two Dual Purpose bikes she could get her feet down on and the XT seems to be the better of the two on the highway with its extra cc's and 6 speed tranny vs. the DR200's 5 speed. In 33 years of riding, which has included five Kawasaki's, two Honda's and two of the toughest Suzuki's ever produced this will be the first Yamaha I have dealt with.

So...... good deal or not ???
You guys are the XT experts!!!
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #174
deej
Deej (Deric)
 
deej's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat
I'll add another XT to this thread.

The wife just purchased a 04 with 480 miles on it. This is a crappy pic (will get a better one soon) but the bike looks brand new and the owner must have just rode it around town for errands or something as it appears to have never been "off road".




I have dealt with the dealer that had this bike over the years and he let her have it for $3000 out the door and threw in a new HJC full face "flip up" helmet. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering the low miles and the overall "like new" condition of the bike.
Kelly Blue Book says $2850, so I figure its dead on and she paid for the so called "free" helmet.

We both rode it before purchase and it was flawless. Actually I was quite surprised because it was more "peppy" than I thought it would be, I rode the ZZR1200 over to check it out so I know just a little about "pep". I had read that the top speed was around 55mph but it went up to 70 without much of a problem and it seemed to be in its "cruising comfort zone" at 60mph which I was very pleased with and a good speed for BlueRideGal to get to all the area fire roads we have around here. This or the Suzuki DR200 was the only two Dual Purpose bikes she could get her feet down on and the XT seems to be the better of the two on the highway with its extra cc's and 6 speed tranny vs. the DR200's 5 speed. In 33 years of riding, which has included five Kawasaki's, two Honda's and two of the toughest Suzuki's ever produced this will be the first Yamaha I have dealt with.

So...... good deal or not ???
You guys are the XT experts!!!
Awesome man!! My wife loves her 225, its a 2006, and the reason that I bought new was.....yep I could charge it. I know my bad. I have been looking to find another XT, a 2003 for a friend's wife so it will "match" the one they have, and you got a good deal there. I have seen older models with way more miles go for $3500. Nice find.
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #175
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
An alternate strategy is to buy the bike FOR her.
I did that for her once. I think she's got me figured out.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #176
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder
 
wickerman777's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 314
XT225 TTR225 hubs

So I sold my ex's XT and there are still some left over items that I'd like to sell.

I have 1 brand new ttr225 rear hub sans bearings (though i have a brand new set for it). It will come with a set of brand new 36 count 18" excell spokes. 120.00 shipped.

1 used ttr225 rear wheel. Hub in decent shape except for small piece of metal broken off of drum brake flange ( merely cosmetic, will not affect braking). Bearings, spokes, hoop, and tire shot. This would only be to lace a new hoop to it with new spokes and install new bearings. Does not come with brake shoe assembly. 75.00 shipped. If you really want just the hub then for $50 shipped I will break it down for you and send just the hub.

1 used TTR225 front rim with rotor. 50% MT21 remaining. I think this is the rim that is not bent though the bearings are shot (have a set of new ones to go with it). I will check the rim again to make sure it is not bent. If not then 100.00 shipped. If this one has rim damage then I will include a 36 count brand new set of excell spokes and a used but perfect 21" excell front hoop for 150.00 shipped. If the rim is straight then all it needs is the new bearings that are included and to be trued. Otherwise the excell spokes and hoop will be needed.

1 used TTR225 front wheel sans rotor. Hub is perfect. Bearings, spokes, rim, and tire shot. 75.00 shipped or $50 broken down.

1 very used XT225 rear wheel. Old and coroded with a large piece of metal broken off the drum brake flange. Bearings and spokes shot. Rim appears to be straight. No tire. Hub could be cleaned up and maybe rim. Wouldn't use as a daily rider though it could make a decent beater offroad thrasher if you were willing to put some effort into it. 25.00 shipped

For those of you unawares: The TTR225 rear hub is twice as beefy as the XT hub. No comparison whatsoever but will mount up without modification to the XT swingarm. The stock XT brake shoe assembly is compatible with the ttr hub.

The TTR225 front hub does not have a speedo gear assembly so to use it you would lose the speedometer odometer by disconnecting the cable from the speedo gear at the wheel. The xt speedo gear should work in place of the stock TTR spacer or at the worst you would have to purchase the stock TTR spacer and use in place of the speedo gear. Not a big deal really as you would just have to unscrew the cable from the speedo gear and zip tie it to the fork until you were ready to install the stock xt wheel again.

wickerman777 screwed with this post 03-28-2007 at 12:54 PM
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #177
Magus
Never grew up...
 
Magus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Katyville Texas
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkowski
also it will most likely be used street mainly then offroad, guess im looking for something where the on/offroad features dont mess w/ each other, im so fricken lost
Make sure to take a look at the Husqvarna line-up. I love my TE610 and find it a very dirt-worthy big D/S with a tremendous engine. They also have a 510 and 450 in street legal form. I sold my DR650 for the Husky to get soemthing a little more handy in the dirt - I really liked the DR on the road though.

Good Luck
__________________
'13 Honda CBR500
'09 Aprilia RS 125
'06 Ducati Sport Classic
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #178
crushingchestpain
Banned
 
crushingchestpain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broomfield, CO
Oddometer: 382
finally got Thumper out of the shop

The nice people at Colorado Motorsports in Boulder did my 4,000 mile tune up, put on bark busters (charged me 75 clams to do it DOH~) and added a t15t front instead of the 12 that I had on it.
Wow! It's like a new XT. I actually can hear the rubber on the road, not the screaming of the engine at 45MPH.
Having sixth is like overdrive now. I tried it in the dirt and it is actually easier to ride. I only miss that low, low first gear for going down steep single track.
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #179
xonid
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2
Just got an 06 XT225 with 0 miles. I thought I was getting a good deal, but not as good as I thought. No mater, it's still fun. Quite different than my previous sport bikes.
Now to look for some dirt.
__________________
Dino
06' XT225
2004.0 RAM 2500 Cummins
xonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #180
crushingchestpain
Banned
 
crushingchestpain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Broomfield, CO
Oddometer: 382
not to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xonid
Just got an 06 XT225 with 0 miles. I thought I was getting a good deal, but not as good as I thought. No mater, it's still fun. Quite different than my previous sport bikes.
Now to look for some dirt.
even if you paid a few bucks too much these things hold their value, and honestly, put it in Craigs list and you'll do fine when ready to sell. I put on a sheepskin seat cover, happy trails racks, bark busters and a powerlet and i am ready to low rent riding!
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014