Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #2326
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfobusa
The new 225 will be coming home with me Tues.. I called the shop from work today and reserved it .. Pics to follow ..while it's shiney !!
I'll definitely be doing the "brake arm flip" but will "fix" the carb only if needed.. past experience tells me not to do anything at first ..then try small changes one at a time..beginning with the brass plug removal..
I'm not doing any exhaust mods or cutting the airbox either .. just want a nice, quiet, reliable and well fuelled "errand bike" and "take me to the swimming hole bike".
If the need for speed arises, I will not grab the XT keys ..
Hey wfobusa! Congrats on the new bike! I was noticing you are in N Georgia...I am in Cullowhee/Sylva, NC. Lemme know if you ever want to ride together! It would be a lot of fun to actually ride with another XT - I've never had that privilege!
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #2327
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo
Hey wfobusa! Congrats on the new bike! I was noticing you are in N Georgia...I am in Cullowhee/Sylva, NC. Lemme know if you ever want to ride together! It would be a lot of fun to actually ride with another XT - I've never had that privilege!
fancy,
I'll be in WNC by May so maybe we can have a XT225 get together.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #2328
baszie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
fancy,
I'll be in WNC by May so maybe we can have a XT225 get together.
I'd like to get in on that, will bring my '07 over from Greensboro.
baszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #2329
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Barnone and Baszie...Sweet! I will look forward to it! (We all know great FS roads and trails in the mountains...I am stoked! )
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #2330
wfobusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
fancyindigo .. Thanks for the invite ! Asheville is my favorite destination by far on my sportbikes via the BRParkway .. gotta love those constant radius turns. I once took the Sylva exit from the parkway and kind of got lost but it was one of the best roads I had ever been on..
I'd like to haul the 225 up to Cherokee in the van, unload it and cruise up to Mt. Mitchell and back..Maybe I'd check out all of the bumpy little sideroads I've been so curious about and the slower speeds would make the sightseeing so much better..
So many roads .... such little time !! I'll be in the area July 5th through the 8th. Get more bang for your buck that time of the year with the sun setting @9:30pm .
wfobusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #2331
wfobusa
Adventurer

I brought the new bike home today ..It's an 07 with 4/10 of a mile on the odometer. Removed the mirrors in order to put in my van. I put a few miles on it but the weather here is in the 30's and the engine never really seemed to warm up. This weekend I'll check that idle jet screw and turn it out 3 turns.. I did put the battery tender lead on and got the liability sticker off the tank. This bike looks simple to work on. Stay tuned for action shots this weekend.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #2332
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Thumb

Beautiful bike candy!!!! I hope the weather in N Georgia is better than here - I see a skimming of snow on the ground there. Have fun with this bike!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #2333
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Something you should know about a new XT225. Mine happens to be a 2007 also.It's just had the 4000 mile oil change.I also ride two other motorcycles, but am riding the XT more than when I first got it.

I did an oil and filter change at something like 60 miles, and again at 500.I'm now changing oil and filter every 1000 miles.It's because this bike only holds a quart of oil, and because it gets pushed pretty hard at times.

If someone hadn't warned me about the amount of crap on the oil filter the first couple of changes, I would have taken this bike back to the dealer for a new engine when I did the 60 mile change. I have never seen so much junk collected on an oil filter on any of the 24 or so bikes I've owned over the last 48 years of riding. But it's always run well and doesn't make any noises to speak of.And by the third change there hasn't been any sign of any crap at all collected on the filter.And the gas mileage! If I keep it at 50 mph and under on longer rides, I easily get 95 miles per US gallon.It's got 105 twice, when my wife used to ride a Honda Metro scooter,and we would go riding together.The scooter topped out about 41 mph.

So if you change your own oil, expect to find some alarming looking stuff on the outside of your oil filter, but don't get too concerned.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #2334
wfobusa
Adventurer

Thanks for the warning. I generally flush a new bike out at less than 50 miles and then several more times early in it's life. At a quart per change, better safe than sorry.
Does the oem filter have a screen that is made to be cleaned ?? I assume that this should be changed out for the paper cartridge type right away..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #2335
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,647
The wire screen type oil filter work just fine for my XT225.
There were some wrong filters packaged by Yamaha in the past that caused oil starved engine failures.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #2336
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfobusa
Does the oem filter have a screen that is made to be cleaned ?? I assume that this should be changed out for the paper cartridge type right away..
I used solvent and a toothbrush to gently clean the screen on my oem filter. Then carefully blew it dry with compressed air. Seemed to work ok. I don't know if the paper filters are better or not.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #2337
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,476
Asheville in May

Don't know how many of you know about it so I will add it in here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521168

Gypsy and I go, we are always on our XT225's.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #2338
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
I don't reuse my oil filters, but many do.If I had compressed air at home I probably would.MY XT doesn't use any measureable amount of oil between changes every 1000 miles. Yeah, it's a bit cold blooded, but the gas mileage is great.If I ride it every few days it starts and runs better.I ride all winter and commute most days on one of my motorcycles. In really bad weather I take my XT.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #2339
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
clutch switch bypass ?

Does anyone know how to bypass the clutch switch ?

(ive checked @ xt225.com already)

thanks

-swamp-

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #2340
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp
Does anyone know how to bypass the clutch switch ?

(ive checked @ xt225.com already)

thanks

-swamp-

Follow the 2 wires (sheathed under black vinyl) from the clutch lever perch to where it plugs into the bike harness. Unplug it, then make a jumper wire or use a small cotter pin to "jump" the 2 wires from the harness together.

If the clutch switch is broken simply leave it connected and cut the 2 wires and join them together.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote