Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #226
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
That is a way better deal than you think it is. You stole it.
+1
http://www.floridatrailriders.org
blimpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #227
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris666
I just picked up a 2006 XT225 for my wife last weekend. I was buying my DR-Z 400 and there was a used one at one of the dealers. 150 miles, got it out the door for 3k plus helmet. I think I did ok on it. She loves it, but is having trouble with the clutch lever. Anyone know if there is a lever that is a little closer to the handlebar? She has short fingers.
My ex had the same problem with hers. I actually removed the lock nut on the adjuster and it allowed her to grab it much more easily.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #228
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
After doing the toss up between the DR200, TW200 and the XT225... and going with the XT225 here is my take. The XT is very light. A+ for that. It will do highway no problem with good speed if you lean over close to the tank, kind of laying on the tank bag. The suspension feels plush and the motor makes fine power.
The cons... forget going anywhere 2up except down the street to the store or something like that. Anybody that buys this bike for riding 2up regularly is misinformed and no fault of the bike.
1st gear is too short.. kind of useless except for newbies not wanting to loose control on an offroad downhill. It works like an emergency engine brake which is kindy of nifty when actually needed.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #229
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

OK... this thread is sinking fast down the list. Here is a new post. I played around this weekend with our XT225. I pulled the snorkle and it was loud! That kind of ruckus coming out from under the seat was too much. I put it back on. I did the hole saw mod to the muffler baffle. Not too loud but it really freed up the higher rpm's. I just did the mixture screw. After drilling out the brass plug, I found the screw was all the way seated! That can't be any good. I backed it off 3 turns. The 42.5 and 130 jets are in the mail coming my way. Should this be the end of the performance mods?? My wife is getting worried I am going to ruin her bike. Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #230
LusterBroil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Here is a bad cell phone pic of my 04 12,000 miles young
Attached Images

LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #231
JP4
Thumper Geek

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
OK... this thread is sinking fast down the list. Here is a new post. I played around this weekend with our XT225. I pulled the snorkle and it was loud! That kind of ruckus coming out from under the seat was too much. I put it back on. I did the hole saw mod to the muffler baffle. Not too loud but it really freed up the higher rpm's. I just did the mixture screw. After drilling out the brass plug, I found the screw was all the way seated! That can't be any good. I backed it off 3 turns. The 42.5 and 130 jets are in the mail coming my way. Should this be the end of the performance mods?? My wife is getting worried I am going to ruin her bike. Thoughts?
I had the same experience with noise with the snorkel removed. I ended up cutting off all of the snorkel that extends into the airbox. It is just as quiet as before but seems to have a bit more power. Plus, it is now utilizing all of the air filter instead of just the little bit near the end of the snorkel. You will like those jets! The main on our '93 was already a 130 stock, but the 42.5 pilot really helped. Also did about a .5mm shim to the needle. The difference is night and day over the stock carb settings.

'01 LC4 640E 18L
'93 XT225
JP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #232
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
They are hard to find new. They are hard to find lightly used for a deal, they hold value really well. Now if your goal is to buy something and flog it in the woods you shouldn't care if you get a really beat up one, it will still cost some $$ though.

I have an 05 with 2 sets of wheels, street and full knobby, tons of fun. This is the first bike I have jumped the shit out of since my bicycle days, nothing real hard but jumps nonetheless.

Tons of fun!
Since these aren't that easy to come by, has anyone had any experience with the chinese knock-offs? I understand that some china bikes are complete knock-offs of the XT and in fact Yamaha parts are interchangeable. Not sure about quality though....my father has a couple of Chinese made scooters and I was surprised by the fit and finish of them.....they also go pretty fast.........for a scooter anyway..........
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #233
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4
I had the same experience with noise with the snorkel removed. I ended up cutting off all of the snorkel that extends into the airbox. It is just as quiet as before but seems to have a bit more power. Plus, it is now utilizing all of the air filter instead of just the little bit near the end of the snorkel. You will like those jets! The main on our '93 was already a 130 stock, but the 42.5 pilot really helped. Also did about a .5mm shim to the needle. The difference is night and day over the stock carb settings.
I had updated my jets a while back but was never very satisfied with the higher RPM feel and performance. Yesterday I finally decided that I would remove the snorkle. All I can say is holy crap I can't believe the difference in the bike. I have a 10 mile or so section of 70MPH highway that I usually avoid becuase the bike was having a hard time maintaining 65. Yesterday I had to keep slowing down because I was putting the speedo over 80 and I was a little concerned about over revving the motor. I think that I might even be able to use the 16t front sprocket I bought now. When I tried it before I couldn't use 6th gear becuase the bike wouldn't pull it. I am using a 42.5 pilot and a 130 main, I didn't shim the needle yet either, I am wondering if that will help more. I did the exhaust mod and I am running a Uni filter too.

This also solved some of the problems I had before of riding at full throttle, closing the throttle and then when I opened it up again there would be a big bog for a second or two.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #234
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
I dont own a duel sport bike yet but Im going to buy a small one next year. I looked at the DR200 but Im still kind of leaning towards the XT225.
I Currently own a 2002 CB750 Nighthawk and enjoy taking it for long trips. (I've ridden up to 1,200 miles in a day on my Nighthawk)

1. Do any of you travel long distances on your XT?

2. If so, How well does it handle long distance riding?

I've been looking for adventure articles and photos involving the XT225 but they seem to be in short supply.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #235
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
1. Do any of you travel long distances on your XT?

2. If so, How well does it handle long distance riding?

I've been looking for adventure articles and photos involving the XT225 but they seem to be in short supply.
Google "Lois on the Loose." She rode one from AK to Tierra Del Fuego.

Check out my DR200 adventure, too:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=229927&page=4
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #236
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Google "Lois on the Loose." She rode one from AK to Tierra Del Fuego.

Check out my DR200 adventure, too:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=229927&page=4

I have looked at Lois's website but she is trying to sell books so I found very little useful information on her site (at least the kind I'm looking for anyway). I dont blame her though because I would more than likely do the same thing.

I will have a look at your thread though and if you run accross any more please post them.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 05-24-2007 at 11:33 AM
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #237
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

I have been riding my 86 XL600R to get a feel for the difference between the XT225 and the XL600R. Both are aircooled singles. I believe the 225 to be a superior bike in all areas except in passing power and powering up hills. The XT is smoother at 65-70 mph going down the slab. My XL600 gets twitchy over 60 and seems to demonstrate headshake at times regardless of tire swaps. The 600 also generates much more heat and when in traffic it simulates straddling a pot belly stove.
I believe the XT225 can only be FULLY enjoyed after dropping down from a larger bike. If I had begun with the 225 I would be suffering from a bad case of torque envy. Aftering riding bikes with lots of torque, settling down to the comfy smooth XT225 is very enjoyable. wow.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #238
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
I have looked at Lois's website but she is trying to sell books so I found very little useful information on her site (at least the kind I'm looking for anyway). I dont blame her though because I would more than likely do the same thing.
I had the pleasure of reading her blog a few years ago before she started writing the book. She did remove most of her story from her site.

I regard an XT225 as fully capable of long-distance touring, if a person doesn't weigh much and they can keep their luggage to a minimum.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #239
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
http://www.xt225.com/

A great site, just what you are looking for I suspect
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #240
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
Heretic,
I don't think these bikes are hard to find. The dealer in Pascagoula Mississippi has a new one sitting in the showroom. I have a used one ('97) sitting in my garage.
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote