Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
What kind of MPG are you all seeing with these bikes? Or do you check? I've been looking at an XT to replace the XRL. The XT would be a lot easier to lift onto my patio behind the apartment (long story ). It looks like it would be a hoot to ride in town and it would be much better at the off-road riding area. The XRL is a heavy pig off-road.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Anyone ever have any issues with the petcock on their xt? Once the tank gets near reserve then into reserve it ceases to flow smoothly and starts cutting out due to lack of fuel flow. I've done some agressive jetting so far and wondering if it's sucking more gas through the main faster than gravity can compensate. Should probably adjust float height. Any experiences with this?
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Ok so my initial jetting though it increased power and acceleration dramaticly was causing some annoying running issues. I've tried a number of main jets: 135 and 140 mikuni mains and shimmed the needle. The pilot jet is still the stock 40. Well it is running excessively rich at idle even with the stock pilot and a completely opened airbox and pipe. Upon aggressive acceleration it performs great with lots of torque and it moves quickly up to freeway speeds. But the minute you back off even slightly to slow or maintain speed it begins to exhibit the cutting out/bogging symptom.

I am going to remove the shim as that should be the only thing that would cause such a rich idle condition at this point and see how much of a difference it makes. I'm also going to go down to a 130 from the 135 in it now.

I think the biggest problem is the needle though. I've jetted alot of bikes and am pretty familiar though nothing this small. It reacts very strongly to relatively minor changes. I think the needle taper is just to....? As it's coming up under heavy acceleration fuel delivery is constant and smooth but the minute you back off even the slightest it seems to just cut off the fuel completely for the amount of air being introduced. I'm going for max power across the range though so taming it back down towards stock settings though it would solve some of the problems is out of the question. Noone makes a jet kit with a needle for this bike though. The difference between the stock needle and dynojet needle on my DR was amazing. You could just feel all the flat spots with the stock needle and wonky accel/decel characteristics. Just looking at the dynojet needle compared to stock it becomes extremely obvious why. The taper is just plain smoother and less aggressive all the way up as in no sharp taper changes.

Today I go to Factory Pro in San Raphael to throw a bunch of money at a butload of jet and needle options to experiment with. I think if I can get the right needle in here then the rest of my jetting can go smoothly.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #19
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgh Water
That figures, just when I put mine up for sale they become popular
That's what you want. Raise the price.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #20
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,882
I've bought a used 2003 XT last winter. Unfortunately, it's spent more time broken than running. I've had ongoing problems with the starter (both the motor and the starter clutch pins). It's dead right now... I have a new starter motor on order and the kickstart kit has already arrived, just waiting for a chance to install it.

When it was working, though, it's been a great bike. I usually see low-to-mid-60s mpg on the commute, more when dualsporting. I've taken it offroad a few times, and hung with bigger bikes just fine.

I've replaced the handlebars and installed a GPS 5 on them, with new grips, barkbusters and handguards. I have a spare set of wheels (one set for Distanzias, one set for knobs). I haven't jetted it, because it is primarily my around-town bike (I have a DRZ400 for the tough stuff) and I don't want to sacrifice the fuel economy. I've done the devilduckie upgrade, too. Adds 5mph to the top end, dontcha know.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Woo, XT thread!

I have an 05 XT with an embarrassingly small amount of miles on it. My plan is to remedy that for 07. My fiancé also has an XT (2002 IIRC) but will probably sell it soon as he is 6'4" and wants something a little taller.

I haven't done any real mods to the bike, other than adding handguards, a tail rack, and 12v socket for my GPS.

Someone asked about mileage...I get around 110 miles before having to switch to reserve, so that'd be around 50mpg. That's city mileage; my touring mileage is a bit better.

This bike frickin' ROCKS. Dammit, now I want to go riding instead of sitting in this really boring meeting surfing the internet. Pooters.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #22
MoonRock
High Energy Atomic Nuclei

Oddometer: 868
When I was younger I had a Honda CL70 that was a great bike for intrusion riding. The most fun I ever had on that thing was riding it to the top of a parking garage than walking it across a catwalk to the top of the county sheriffs building (department) where I spent about an hour racing it flat track style. I’ve been looking for another bike to bring back some of that magic my old Honda had and think this might do the trick.
MoonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #23
MtnBikeHer
if it has two wheels....

Oddometer: 19
Great to see so many other XTers on this site! I have an 04 that I have added handguards, bigger footpegs (highly recommended), rejetted the carb and drilled the exhaust. I'd love to get a new exhaust and want to get the probillet rack for it.
Its a great bike! At 5'5" I can stand flat footed with it, its light, fairly inexpensive to buy/repair compared to a lot of other bikes and has made a big difference for a beginner-intermediate like me!
Hope to hear from more owners!
MtnBikeHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #24
familyman
I have bad ideas

Oddometer: 268
I finally sat on an XT at the Houston bike show this weekend and I loved it. I sat on EVERY DS there and it was a toss up between the Kawasaki 250 and the XT. It's going to be a few years before a used Kawasaki is in my price range so I think I may keep my eyes peeled for an XT at the right price. Great feeling bike, just great.
familyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #25
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Haaaaaargh!!! So all my complaints about jetting have been wrong. The jetting was never the problem. For some odd reason fuel is not getting to the carb. I have used about 5 different kinds of fuel line (mostly clear) once I realized that this was happening. The vent line from the fuel tank is working fine so it's not vapor lock due to that. The petcock is not blocked and as far as I can tell it's not the float needle sticking though I am going to remove and investigate it. I can remove the fuel line from the petcock and turn it to reserve and fuel comes shooting out but the minute I reattach it nada, nothing, it won't even exit the petcock under pressure and make it's way to the inlet on the carb even if the needle was sticking it should at least fill the line. I can even wiggle the fuel line and get fuel to come through. It's completely intermiten as well. This is such a simple system. It's almost acting like a vacuum operated petcock but it's not.

Though I just did think of something hmmm. I believe the carbon can which I have removed had three lines. Two going in and one a drain coming out. If I remember correctly one of the lines was coming out of a port on the carb. Maybe the fuel delivery system is vacuum operated after all. It would be a strange setup though using vacuum from the exit side of the carb routed through the carbon can and using the tanks breather line oneway valve as a fuel stop. Worth a try though.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #26
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
I haven't done a whole lot of mods to my XT, but the best one I did was getting rid of those POS Cheng Shin stock tires. I upgraded to the Mefo Explorer MFE99 and have not had any complaints for the 1400 miles I have on them. At 1400 on the stockers, I already knew I was in trouble, as they were more than 60% worn.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #27
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
96 Xt225

I have a 96 that I bought 3rd hand last year. I have it set up mostly for dirt riding. It is a great single track bike. Light and easy to manuver.

Mods include MT21 tires, Moose hand guards, Ken Sean dualsport mirrors, kick starter, +5 teeth on the rear sprocket, Pro Circut exhaust and a TM33 pumper carb. I have removed everything I can think of to reduce weight.

I thought of selling it and getting a KLX 250 but I'm not convinced the extra weight and complexity of water cooling are worth it. Heck if I want water cooling I head for the nearest stream, river or puddle. That and no kick starter.
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #28
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief
I have a 96 that I bought 3rd hand last year. I have it set up mostly for dirt riding. It is a great single track bike. Light and easy to manuver.

Mods include MT21 tires, Moose hand guards, Ken Sean dualsport mirrors, kick starter, +5 teeth on the rear sprocket, Pro Circut exhaust and a TM33 pumper carb. I have removed everything I can think of to reduce weight.

I thought of selling it and getting a KLX 250 but I'm not convinced the extra weight and complexity of water cooling are worth it. Heck if I want water cooling I head for the nearest stream, river or puddle. That and no kick starter.
How is that pumper carb working for you. I've been thinking about going that route. The previous owner screwed with this bike badly and I've spent alot of time trying to unscrew what has been done. It seems that he messed with the float height and I can't seem to get it back to normal. That or the needle isn't seeling properly anyway. Still have your stock carb by chance? This one is junk
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #29
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
If I end up having to futz with my carb, I think I'm just going to get a TTR225 motor, I believe it's FI.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #30
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Hi all,
I post over at the XT225.com board, so I shouldn't repeat myself here. Mine gets about 80mpg right now and I'm 6'3, 280#.

Great lil' bike. Easy to maintain and reliable. IMO too cheap to waste money turning it into a dirt screamer, just go buy a YZF, Husky, whatever.

Mine is used a lot for errands and trail riding.
Chip