Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #31
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos
If I end up having to futz with my carb, I think I'm just going to get a TTR225 motor, I believe it's FI.
Sorry, the TTR has the exact same eng as the xt with maybe some minor timing/cam/gear differences. It is definitely not fuel injected let alone if it was, putting that eng into an xt frame would not work as you would have to modify the wiring harness drasticaly between the 2, more hassle than it's worth. The TTR also has the same carb though I'm sure the jetting is much different. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with the jetting as most people seem to have no issues. I just got screwed because I bought a bike with 600 miles on it that someone who had no idea what they were doing decided to mess with it. I'm going to buy a new float and float needle and that should solve my problem. I hope.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #32
Pacifico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Wink

On my XT riding with the big bikes at the Neduro clinic.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #33
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico
On my XT riding with the big bikes at the Neduro clinic.

Sweet. I cannot wait to get my girlfriends bike sorted out (ahem, you know for her sake ). I missed the norcal neduro clinic and it looked like so much fun. I would love to do it on a XT. Even with the issues this bike is still so much fun. I've been browsing around for one of my own now. I better chill otherwise there won't be enough room in my garage and too much room in my bank account.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #34
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Yay! I finaly figured it out. Stupid needle valve for the float was intermitently sticking open then shut causing a highly confusuing lean then rich then working properly then rich then lean then... A float valve stuck shut would just starve the bike for gas. Stuck open would flood it. I had suspicions but every time I checked it would be working fine. After eliminating everything else I just replaced the entire valve assembly. Viola! Runs like a peach now.

The good thing is that while I had assumed the whole time that my jetting was the culprit (I had played around with numerous configurations) I actualy found that the bike responds really well to jetting upgrades when it was occasionaly working properly. Now that I know the jetting wasn't the problem I can go back in and continue experimenting. The top end seemed very responsive to oversized main jets and airbox exhaust mods.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #35
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Hey, Wickerman77, I don't know if you've been following on xt225.com, but probably the next place to go before a whole lot of jetting if you're looking for power will be the Z1 mod, take off the fire arrestor, and use a hole bit to drill a 1 inch up to 1 7/8 inch hole in the deep recesses of the muffler.

I'm planning on opening mine up on Monday following Turkey day.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #36
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos
Hey, Wickerman77, I don't know if you've been following on xt225.com, but probably the next place to go before a whole lot of jetting if you're looking for power will be the Z1 mod, take off the fire arrestor, and use a hole bit to drill a 1 inch up to 1 7/8 inch hole in the deep recesses of the muffler.

I'm planning on opening mine up on Monday following Turkey day.
Yep already done that, uni air filter, removed the snorkel, 42.5 pilot jet, and a 130 main though I'm gonna go up a size or two on the main and reshim the needle as I had removed it during the trouble shooting. The shim seemed to help drasticly on deceleration. I had the main up to 140 at one point and it seemed to respond well with the opened airbox, filter and exhaust. I'll keep playing around till I find the best combination. I'm just happy that the cutting/bogging out issue has been dealt with. This bike is so much fun.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #37
ChopperCharles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Wickerman

Wickerman, what are the symptoms?

If you're running wide open, and then chop the throttle shut, and it bucks and doesn't immediately and smoothly slow down, you're too rich. The small cc singles react very strongly to minor jetting and needle changes. It's not like messing with a 4-cylinder or even a v-twin's carbs. A little lost efficiency is not noticed on a 500cc+ multi-cylinder bike, but even a tiny bit lost on a 225cc single is noticed right away.

My advice is to leave the needle stock, and get the bike running correctly at wide open throttle. Once that's done, get the bike idling correctly and starting smoothly, by adjusting the pilot screw. Out means richer, in means leaner. NOW, and only now, consider adjusting the needle. If the bike has a flat spot in the middle of the rpm range, shim the needle NO MORE THAN .020" (that's twenty thousanths). TINY changes make a huge difference.

Charles.

ChopperCharles screwed with this post 12-11-2006 at 06:13 AM
ChopperCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #38
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles

.020" (that's two thousanths). .

Charles.
Thats twenty thousanths.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #39
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,725
How did I miss this thread

I've only had the XT since October, I'm still breaking it it, so far I like it.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #40
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Another positive vote for the 225. My wife loves hers and I have a TT225 which I use for trail riding. Both are great bikes.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #41
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
I took mine for a litle ride today.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #42
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
Ok, One more.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #43
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Ok I'm just convinced that something deep inside this carb is fuxored. I've solved the main problem with fuel delivery but I can't get this thing to run consistently smooth no matter what I have done and this is just about everything imagineable.

I know for a fact that the original owner though only putting 500 miles on it managed to screw up the jetting and fill the carb with dirt and sand. I've cleaned the piss out of this thing repeatedly, replaced all the jets in many configurations including stock setup, inspected every possible issue I could think of and it still acts wonky. It will run perfectly one day then bog or surge the next. I'm sure that some debris got into this carb and is stuck way up where I can't clean it out and I'm not sure the intake boots are sealing correctly to the carb.

I'm just going to buck up and get either a flatslide or utilize a carb from a different bike (just ran into a free carb off a klx250) and go from there.

I've done alot of research on this bike and just about nobody seems to be having the problems I am experiencing so I'm confident the bike is not inherently flawed but it's vexing cause my girl spent alot of money on this bike and of the 1000 miles put on it only a couple hundred were ridden by her. I'm feeling guilty as I kind of pushed her to get this bike and though we technicaly got a smokin deal on it (the year she wanted with only 598 miles on it for less than blue book) it goes to show how decieving things can be and how badly and quickly people who don't know shit about their bikes can screw things up.

It makes sense now why the second owner who purchased it at 500 miles and did not even put 100 miles on it just wanted to unload it. The first owner screwed it up and the second got stuck with a lemon that she never had fun on cause it ran like shit. Her local shop where we picked the bike up was a bit scetch too.

I'm a mechanic and have been rebuilding and tuning carbs for a good while now and this thing is frustrating the hell out of me.

Has anyone got a different carb on their xt and how is it. I'm a sea level west coast.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #44
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Cool2

On XT225.com there is something about a replacement (read more power) carb that is available.

Since you're not afraid to tear into the carb on it, I'm fairly certain you've got the technical wherewithall to install this Mikuni pumper carb.

http://www.xt225.com/projects/mikuni.htm

Quote:
My goals for this project are as follows:

1) Increase responsiveness to short sudden bursts of open throttle
2) Improve cold starting, reduce warm up time and engine stumble
3) Augment overall engine horsepower and torque
4) Keep the bike quiet
5) Allow the bike to easily be returned to stock condition for resale

To satisfy the above I've selected the Mikuni TM33-8012 carb to replace the stock carb. The model 8012 includes an accelerator pump which should provide an increase in responsiveness
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #45
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Mine runs fine, brand new, stock everything except pegs. My suggestion would be to install a new stock carb and leave it alone until you notice problems.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote