Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #46
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
TM 33 Flat Slide

Wickerman

Sorry I didn't reply to your ealier question. I'm not very good at checking back on threads.

I bought a flat slide cheap on fleabay and bought the adapter from Enduco at XT225.com. I am not great at jetting and even with my limited talent it is a heck of a lot better than stock. Fires right up even when cold and has good roll on the throttle power. I also have a ProCkt pipe made for the TTR225. If you go for the TM33 you should at least do the exhaust mod.

Good luck, they are a great light weight dependeable bike.
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #47
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer: 92
Another XT person here. :) Just picked up an '01 in near mint shape with 3,6XX on it for the wife's X-mas present. She has sat on them before and loves them and the idea of going bounding about. She currently rides a Suzuki SV650 (and I a VFR800). Living in east TN with all the mountains and forest roads there are a lot of dualsporters out and about playing so it's good to find others who can share information.

My previous roomate is on her 3rd XT225 (first two were stolen..argh!) and the 2nd of them was also an '01 that the previous owner did some tweaking to. That owner was the lead technition of a Yamaha dealership and limited the mechanical mods to an airbox, good rejetting, and I believe a cobra pipe. That XT started right up in the cold with very short (1-2minute) warmup times, pulled like a freight train with no stumbles across the rev range, and would haul my 200lb butt replete with the full riding gear (lots of wind drag) along the freeway at full speed regardless of the hills. As he is still in the business I plan to run my newest acquisition down to him to get the similar work done shortly. Once I have the #'s and settings I'll be happy to post them though I won't have the bike until roughly the 15th. :)
Attached Images

DragonRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #48
PeteC
Old Rider

Oddometer: 37
Larger fuel tank for XT225

I'm seriously thinking of getting an XT225 Serow. I would like to have a larger gas tank for it. I know the bike gets great mileage, but the stock 2.3 gallon tank isn't much. From what I can find none of the after market tank manufacturers I know of make a larger tank for the XT225. Do any of you know of a source for one or have any of you modified another tank to fit? --------- PeteC
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #49
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Clarke Manufacturing is working on one. It will probably take them a few months yet. Be patient, grasshopper.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #50
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos
Clarke Manufacturing is working on one. It will probably take them a few months yet. Be patient, grasshopper.
I'm wondering how the design will work out as the biggest problem I see is the petcock in relation to the carb intake. They would have to bulk up the top end of the tank as they couldn't simply make it hang lower without compromising the gravity feed. I wonder how it will look.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #51
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,723
My first ride in the snow on a motorcycle today

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #52
CDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Surging ?

I bought an XT 225 for my girlfriend about 3 months with only 7000K's on the clock here's a pic,

I have just taken the tiny snorkel out of the air box to get it breathing a bit better and it seems to be surging just a little in the higher rev range.

It seems to have heaps more pull with this mod but not so good up high, also its ok up high if you are steady on the throttle but just when you give it some.

I've been on xt225.com but havent posted there and I olny just found this thread so I thought i'd try here first.

I plan on doing that exhaust mod but thought I'd sort this out first and see how it goes once properly tuned.
CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #53
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG
I bought an XT 225 for my girlfriend about 3 months with only 7000K's on the clock here's a pic,

I have just taken the tiny snorkel out of the air box to get it breathing a bit better and it seems to be surging just a little in the higher rev range.

It seems to have heaps more pull with this mod but not so good up high, also its ok up high if you are steady on the throttle but just when you give it some.

I've been on xt225.com but havent posted there and I olny just found this thread so I thought i'd try here first.

I plan on doing that exhaust mod but thought I'd sort this out first and see how it goes once properly tuned.
Whats your elevation?

If you are at sea level in a low humidity enviroment then these are the mild jetting and exhaust mods that worked very well for me....

Exhaust and Airbox:
Remove snorkel though if you get hit with high wind just right the drastic pressure change in the airbox will cause the surging that you mentioned. Drill the entire baffle out of the exhaust. Use an aftermarket air filter (not K&N)

Carb:
Use a 42.5 pilot jet (the bike will fire right up and run smoothly very quickly) and a 130 main jet. Shim the needle with one very thin washer.

Thats it. If the enviromental conditions are right then these changes will make you very very happy with the bike. Drastic improvement from stock. If you are above 2000 feet or live in a high humidity enviroment then you'll have to adjust your jetting accordingly but I can't help too much there.

With those changes the bike is still getting on average of 80 miles per gallon. Can't complain.

And make sure your float valve is not gummed up from old gas. That caused me alot of grief. Put a new one in and all is great.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #54
CDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'm at sea level, and reasonably humid although not all year.

As you and I are from different parts of the world, what is a float valve?

I think we would call that a needle and seat? does that sound correct?
CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #55
BigBeta
Slowrider

Oddometer: 32
...and don't forget...

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread as I used to ride one of these (and often regret selling it). You might like to take a look at:

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/

as well as xt225.com
BigBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #56
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
wow

a baby XT thread

cool

phreakwife needs something to learn to ride and this may be the ticket

since I like XT's

Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #57
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG
I'm at sea level, and reasonably humid although not all year.

As you and I are from different parts of the world, what is a float valve?

I think we would call that a needle and seat? does that sound correct?
Yes a float needle and seat would also be another term for it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #58
PeteC
Old Rider

Oddometer: 37
What's the out the door price?

Checked out a new XT225 today at a dealer, it was a 2007. Look to be a well put together motorcycle. Almost couldn't believe it, they have grease fittings on the swing arm bearings & shock linkages. And there are dust covers over the break & clutch pivots. You don't find that on most of the expensive bikes! The list price was shown as $4199. Any of you all that have bought new XT225s in'06 or '07s what was the out the door price you had to pay? I know that they are not an expensive bike & the dealers don't have a big profit margin, but figure that I should be able to get a little bit off. I would like to find a left over '06 that has been marked down, but that may not be possible.
PeteC
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #59
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC
Any of you all that have bought new XT225s in'06 or '07s what was the out the door price you had to pay? I know that they are not an expensive bike & the dealers don't have a big profit margin, but figure that I should be able to get a little bit off. I would like to find a left over '06 that has been marked down, but that may not be possible.
PeteC
I bought a new '06 at the end of October. List was the same. We agreed on $3,700. With the taxes, registration and freight and the huh? charges added, I think I got it for $4,400. See, I've already forgotten. I asked here and people said it was an ok price, not great. I didn't care. I wanted a bike. Maybe you can do better now that it's winter.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #60
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC
Checked out a new XT225 today at a dealer, it was a 2007. Look to be a well put together motorcycle. Almost couldn't believe it, they have grease fittings on the swing arm bearings & shock linkages. And there are dust covers over the break & clutch pivots. You don't find that on most of the expensive bikes! The list price was shown as $4199. Any of you all that have bought new XT225s in'06 or '07s what was the out the door price you had to pay? I know that they are not an expensive bike & the dealers don't have a big profit margin, but figure that I should be able to get a little bit off. I would like to find a left over '06 that has been marked down, but that may not be possible.
PeteC
Any particular reason it has to be new? I just bought my wife an immacultae '01 with 3,600 miles on it (only thing they changed was the color). Aside from some mild marks where the shorter statured lady before us tapped it with her foot while getting on and off, there wasn't a mark on it. Those few foot marks took less than 3mins to get out. I was at a gas station on the way home with it and 3 people thought it was brand new! Price? $1,700. The ONLY thing it needs is a new set of tires as she rode it strictly on the highway and evidently a little but under on tire pressure. Figure savings against retail, savings against taxes,, and not having to pay any stupid 'setup fee's (which are reimbursed by the manufacturer anyhow hence many places not charging them), we came away with a fantastic deal! There are a few others out there like that to be had.
Attached Images

DragonRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote