Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #6601
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
That's a heavy tire for the XT to turn. I'd try to find something lighter.
Thanks all.

Yes, its a 120/90 18. Type-o on my part.

Any suggestions on tires? This is my off road bike so it is 90% off road in Maine (mud, etc) and 10% on road but I still need a DOT tire.
The bike has the stock tires on it now and they clog too easily in the mud.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #6602
mikewillsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I run TTR pegs and levers on my XT bolt right up.
Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation. A friend had a TTR and it looked like everything would swap over.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #6603
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
Thanks all.

Any suggestions on tires? This is my off road bike so it is 90% off road in Maine (mud, etc) and 10% on road but I still need a DOT tire.

I use the Kenda 760 Trakmaster II in the 110/100-18 on the rear of my XT, with a Pirelli MT-16 front. As aggressive as it comes for off road and both are DOT. Great tires in the mud.

Kenda K760 Trakmaster II Rear Tire:

Pirelli MT 16 Front Tire

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #6604
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,796
That Kenda 760 is a gnarley looking tire. Wonder how much it weighs compared to the Dunlop 606? Also, how difficult is it to mount? The 606 is a pure PITA to mount, I'd say at least a 6-pack & lot'sa cussing! The Kenda has to be easier?

I might have to try a pair of those sometime.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #6605
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
That Kenda 760 is a gnarley looking tire. Wonder how much it weighs compared to the Dunlop 606? Also, how difficult is it to mount? The 606 is a pure PITA to mount, I'd say at least a 6-pack & lot'sa cussing! The Kenda has to be easier?

I might have to try a pair of those sometime.

I replaced a D606 rear with the Kenda 760 on my KLX, I cant recall having any trouble mounting it. It helps to leave the new tire laying in the sun a few hours to soften up before mounting.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #6606
mikewillsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
I use the Kenda 760 Trakmaster II in the 110/100-18 on the rear of my XT, with a Pirelli MT-16 front. As aggressive as it comes for off road and both are DOT. Great tires in the mud.
Thanks.
I'll check out that combination, it looks good, and better sizing for the XT.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #6607
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
Thanks all.

If it was me, I would just run a non DOT tire in that case. I figure not too much risk of a ticket, and you get a much better tire for what you are doing.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #6608
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Based on the looks of the piston ... in order to fix it right ... and access all the damage ... you will need to split the cases ... You have to ask yourself ... where did all the piston pieces go ...???
Exactly. I'd have to completely clean out the bottom end and check for other damaged components. I told the GF she needs to get a good used motor and we'll install it and have some spare parts. The replacement parts alone are over $600 for the cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets, not counting other stuff that might be damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
How many miles on the engine before that happened? It seems like we are seeing a pattern here. Probably at some point the bike needs a top end kit before fatigue sets in.
Not home right now but I think it has about 13K on it. I have no doubt why it happened, she ran it wide open for lots of miles trying to keep up with folks on big bikes on the ride she was on. Poor little XT just couldn't take it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #6609
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Kenda Trackmaster sizes

I've read that some people have difficulty with the 110/100 18 hitting its center lugs on the XT, how close do they come to the swing arm? I know they make the tire in a 100/100 18 size as well. Another option that is non-dot is the Chen Shing 755, apparently a really capable off road tire according to some guys I know who have used them. Light weight as well.
I'm currently in the same boat, deciding which one to get, as my trailwing 302 is ready to be replaced. Not that it was a bad tire though.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #6610
.JimC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Not home right now but I think it has about 13K on it. I have no doubt why it happened, she ran it wide open for lots of miles trying to keep up with folks on big bikes on the ride she was on. Poor little XT just couldn't take it.
Was it low on oil? Also, what kind of racket did it make when you tried to start it? There must have been some nasty noise when it was turning over.
.JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #6611
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I've read that some people have difficulty with the 110/100 18 hitting its center lugs on the XT, how close do they come to the swing arm? I know they make the tire in a 100/100 18 size as well. Another option that is non-dot is the Chen Shing 755, apparently a really capable off road tire according to some guys I know who have used them. Light weight as well.
I'm currently in the same boat, deciding which one to get, as my trailwing 302 is ready to be replaced. Not that it was a bad tire though.
We have been using the 100x100-18 Kenda 760 since 2005 and been very happy with this size. It is a big improvement over the stock tire in providing better traction with no negative handling characteristics. We do a lot of pavement on our DS rides so we wear them pretty quickly. I don't pay much attention to how many miles we get out of a tire. I just change them when they wear out. I would guess that we don't get more than 3000 miles out of a rear tire.

They are pretty inexpensive and worth a try.

The wear factor may not make the tire the best option for some. But size wise no matter what tire you choose, a tire that more closely fits the stock size will provide the best overall performance. The width, weight and profile are all important in getting the tire that will preform well with the power and geometry of the bike. IMHO

We put 291 miles on the bikes yesterday with 200 miles of that being pavement. We run 14 PSI front and rear and have no problem with the tires on the pavement at those pressures. We do run rim locks on both rims.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #6612
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
I am looking at picking up an xt225, anything I should look for, or ask about? Besides the jump to the 250 in '08 (?) are there any changes to the bike in the previous (225) years that are worth noting?
Any help or advise would be appreciated.
I believe the 225's are lighter, and also come with a 6 speed rather than a 5 speed on the 250's. Some say the 225's are better on the road because of that.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #6613
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,543
Yup, what Steve said, plus I'm pretty sure it's a completely different engine, not just bored out to 250. Stick to the 225 unless you are sticking to the woods.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #6614
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by .JimC View Post
Was it low on oil? Also, what kind of racket did it make when you tried to start it? There must have been some nasty noise when it was turning over.
Not low on oil. The noise wasn't terribly bad, perhaps not completely normal but it's not one of my bikes so I'm not as familiar with the noises on a day to day basis. The XT tends to turn over kinda slow so the loose wrist pin noise wasn't immediately noticeable to me. I'm sure if I recorded it and played before and after it would be noticeable. What I did notice was the results of the blow-by coming out of the crank case vent and into the air box when I took the cover off and cranked it. I knew some of the compression was getting into the crankcase somehow.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #6615
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Familiar

Our XT had a similar problem at about 16000 miles.

The noise increased over a long time. We have intercoms on our helmets and I could hear noise from the bike while we were riding. I thought it was chain noise. I have replaced the engine and on our ride yesterday I dd not hear that sound. It muct have been getting bad for some time before it finally seized.

There is a company that will exchange the cylinder and fit the new piston for a reasonable price. I will have to look it back up since I have yet to started rebuilding the old engine.

Cheers,

Mike