User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #6616
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
760's

@Cigar Mike How noisy are the 760's on the pavement.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #6617
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
@Cigar Mike How noisy are the 760's on the pavement.
They are not quiet. Compared to the Kenda 657s we run some times, very loud. If the noise is much of a concern they are not the tire for you. Any aggressive tire with much spacing between the knobs will be pretty loud. But it is what makes them work good in sand and mud. I am willing to live with the noise for the off road performance. It is a little different for me since I have two sets of wheels for the bikes. It is easy enough to change the wheels for different types of rides. It does make a difference running more street type tires for long pavement only rides.

I bring both sets when traveling. These are going on for offroad use out of Manti Utah. We only rode pavement at our previous stop.

The tire closest to the trailer is a 100x100-18 Kenda 760, 120 in the foreground.

From this

To this

It does not hurt having the centerstands on the bikes to be able to do this while out on the road.

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #6618
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
tire

I run Kenda 270s.The are quiet on the road, OK in the dirt Lower the pressure (sometimes for off road) and last between 3-4K. I tried the trakmasters but too noisy for my tastes.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #6619
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
I run Kenda 270s.The are quiet on the road, OK in the dirt Lower the pressure (sometimes for off road) and last between 3-4K. I tried the trakmasters but too noisy for my tastes.
I agree, I have a set of 270s for both bikes as well. They do work well on the road and surprising well in the dirt. Performed much better in the sand than I expected. They are a little taller profile though and for some shorter riders the added seat height is not appreciated. The side walls are weaker also and I don't believe you could ride one flat. You just about have to fix the flat even if you are only a mile or so from home or the truck. This did happen to us a couple of times when we were just a few miles out.

It is nice to have some many choices for tires. It just takes some time to find the right tire that fills our own individual needs.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #6620
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
They are not quiet. Compared to the Kenda 657s we run some times, very loud. If the noise is much of a concern they are not the tire for you. Any aggressive tire with much spacing between the knobs will be pretty loud. But it is what makes them work good in sand and mud. I am willing to live with the noise for the off road performance. It is a little different for me since I have two sets of wheels for the bikes. It is easy enough to change the wheels for different types of rides. It does make a difference running more street type tires for long pavement only rides.

I bring both sets when traveling. These are going on for offroad use out of Manti Utah. We only rode pavement at our previous stop.

The tire closest to the trailer is a 100x100-18 Kenda 760, 120 in the foreground.

From this

To this

It does not hurt having the centerstands on the bikes to be able to do this while out on the road.

Mike
Are those Excel rims you have an off the shelf item or custom drilled?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #6621
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Are those Excel rims you have an off the shelf item or custom drilled?
Look close and you can see that they are dimple-less rims. They are custom drilled for number and angle for spoke pattern. Had as heavy a spoke installed that the hubs would accept. I had them done a Buchanan's in Azusa California.

What is the next great adventure?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6622
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Look close and you can see that they are dimple-less rims. They are custom drilled for number and angle for spoke pattern. Had as heavy a spoke installed that the hubs would accept. I had them done a Buchanan's in Azusa California.

What is the next great adventure?

Cheers,

Mike
I have my bikes tricked out pretty good right now and waiting for the violence in Mexico to settle down. If I had to go right now the XT225 would be the bike I would take. It is a very humble and unassuming bike but very capable. The WR/X draws too much attention.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #6623
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
I have my bikes tricked out pretty good right now and waiting for the violence in Mexico to settle down. If I had to go right now the XT225 would be the bike I would take. It is a very humble and unassuming bike but very capable. The WR/X draws too much attention.
All I can say is that we did 291 miles on Wednesday and we got off the bikes Cathy said, "I love my XT". That's good enough for me. I have not found anything else that is as good a fit for her.

Mexico will have riding long after they have closed off the US. Ride the US now while you can and Mexico later. It will not be very long until offroad riding will be gone here. The wackos are on a roll and I don't see where sane people will be in charge anytime soon.

Your bike always looks good.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #6624
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Cylinder replacement

I read about these guys in another thread. I was going to give them a call and see what the cost would be. It looks reasonable.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

Mike
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #6625
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
I read about these guys in another thread. I was going to give them a call and see what the cost would be. It looks reasonable.

http://www.mt-llc.com/
I've used them, did their cylinder exchange on a YZ125--worked fine, the motor is still running great. They are priced just a little under what a new cylinder would cost, as I would too if I owned a cylinder replating company.

I remember thinking at the time I did it that next time I'd just buy a new cylinder. Depends on your budget, and what kind of discounts you can find from a Yamaha dealer...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #6626
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
2007 XT225 with only 80 miles on the clock. 118 mile ride later and we're home.

Thanks for all the excellent information in this thread. Made the decision to get one easier than finding one. Now to get comfortable riding on dirt.[/QUOTE]

Right on!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #6627
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Very nice! What tires are you running in this photo?
Cheers!
C.C.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #6628
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caution View Post
Very nice! What tires are you running in this photo?
Cheers!
C.C.
It has the Shinko 705 front and rear. 4.10x18 rear and 3.00x21 front. The front is a bit larger than stock and just so happens to correct the speedometer error. So when you are running 65 it is a real 65 mph. These are a great tire for the XT. I am not very happy with them on the DL650 though, so quality varies by size.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #6629
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It has the Shinko 705 front and rear. 4.10x18 rear and 3.00x21 front. The front is a bit larger than stock and just so happens to correct the speedometer error. So when you are running 65 it is a real 65 mph. These are a great tire for the XT. I am not very happy with them on the DL650 though, so quality varies by size.
Thanks! I may consider them for my XT350, once the Shinko SR244's give out; surprisingly, for a cheap tire, they're holding up very well.
Cheers!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #6630
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I've used them, did their cylinder exchange on a YZ125--worked fine, the motor is still running great. They are priced just a little under what a new cylinder would cost, as I would too if I owned a cylinder replating company.

I remember thinking at the time I did it that next time I'd just buy a new cylinder. Depends on your budget, and what kind of discounts you can find from a Yamaha dealer...
I appreciate your insight. I will do more research before I do anything.

Thanks,

Mike