Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #6751
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
Seatconcepts -- Check. Put on on the WR250R. Pretty happy.
+1

SeatConcepts.com
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #6752
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Bought a XT 225 today! :)

Hey guys, just bought an 2001 XT 225 for my 17 year old boy today! He have not seen it yet, got it on my lunch brake for $1600 Not sure if it was a good buy or not, but looks clean 3K miles. I am excited about showing it to him tonight... Hoping that we will be able to ride together often... will see...
I am sure I will be here often to pick some brains... :)
Cheers
David
PS: I had a fun test ride on it. Got to 55 mph... what is it real max speed anyways???
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #6753
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
+1

SeatConcepts.com

MXBundy is awesome

Ditto.

I just bought my second one. Be sure to use the ADV promo code for free shipping.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6754
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
I had one at 73mph indicated. For about 10 seconds. It also had a countershaft sprocket that was 1 tooth smaller than stock.

I would think cruising at 60 would be fine.

They're great little bikes. I'm sure your boy will love it. First bike?
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #6755
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
PS: I had a fun test ride on it. Got to 55 mph... what is it real max speed anyways???

Your son will tell you tomorrow!!

(got mine to 82 mhp on the Interstate in a full tuck, or 75 mph sitting up.)
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #6756
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,313
I've hit an indicated 80MPH, but the speedo is probably optimistic by 5-10% or so.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #6757
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Is there an inexpensive way to improve the seat? I bought one of the Wal-mart ATV seat covers but geebers that seat didn't want to mount up with all the strappage on its backside. After futzing with it awhile I gave up and went riding (my last day off for the next 9).
I think its just to soft, but what do I know. Anyone else modded the torture rack? (2007 XT225)
oh
check these out too
http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks.htm
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #6758
deodom
Old Racer

Oddometer: 80
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Ditto.

I just bought my second one. Be sure to use the ADV promo code for free shipping.
What is the ADV promo code? I am thinking of ordering one.
Doug
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #6759
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deodom View Post
What is the ADV promo code? I am thinking of ordering one.
Doug

I think it's ADVRIDER.com

Here's the Seat Concepts thread link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311

btw, On one of the last pages they posted the $20 air stapler from HF they recommend.

Also, I think you can ask them for various options like color combinations, smooth or gripper material, even colored thread. I don't know if they charge extra for the options, if so it's not much. I really like the gripper material for powerful bikes, because it takes the pressure off your arms (from hanging on). It makes you feel "planted" like in a bucket seat. But, I wouldn't want it on a street bike. I probably wouldn't get it on an XT, since it doesn't pull so hard. I think the smooth vinyl & the carbon material are more comfortable, because you can move around to adjust your "stuff". They can also make the seats taller or shorter, softer or firmer.

I'm not a "salesman", but just wanted to point out that they have a lot of options that don't cost extra. They are friendly guys that are happy to chat, but you can just to the online thing too if you just want the "standard" size, color, etc.

GlennR screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 06:32 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #6760
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
I consistently rode mine at 65 mph, sometimes 70-75 when passing trucks
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #6761
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
ttr

My TTR225 is comfortable at 55-60. Its to busy/buzzy past that. I have a GPS for speed etc
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #6762
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
tooth

I have heard/reada 1 tooth smaller front sproket on the front will give you a higher top speed....any comments?
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #6763
deodom
Old Racer

Oddometer: 80
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I think it's ADVRIDER.com

Here's the Seat Concepts thread link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311

btw, On one of the last pages they posted the $20 air stapler from HF they recommend.

Also, I think you can ask them for various options like color combinations, smooth or gripper material, even colored thread. I don't know if they charge extra for the options, if so it's not much. I really like the gripper material for powerful bikes, because it takes the pressure off your arms (from hanging on). It makes you feel "planted" like in a bucket seat. But, I wouldn't want it on a street bike. I probably wouldn't get it on an XT, since it doesn't pull so hard. I think the smooth vinyl & the carbon material are more comfortable, because you can move around to adjust your "stuff". They can also make the seats taller or shorter, softer or firmer.

I'm not a "salesman", but just wanted to point out that they have a lot of options that don't cost extra. They are friendly guys that are happy to chat, but you can just to the online thing too if you just want the "standard" size, color, etc.
Glenn,
Thanks for the info. I have a place outside of Bryson City, WNC. Maybe when I get back up there we can hook up. I have not been to Boone for years. I used to stay at the Boone Trail Inn when I rode my '79 R-100RT up there frequently years ago, because the owner of the hotel that owned it then is from my home town, and his sister ran the place. When my mother in law finally succumbs to Alzheimer's (She is in a nursing home and is 92), I will move back up there full time. I hate south Florida now, even though I was born and raised there.
Doug
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #6764
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deodom View Post

Glenn,
Thanks for the info. I have a place outside of Bryson City, WNC. Maybe when I get back up there we can hook up. I have not been to Boone for years. I used to stay at the Boone Trail Inn when I rode my '79 R-100RT up there frequently years ago, because the owner of the hotel that owned it then is from my home town, and his sister ran the place. When my mother in law finally succumbs to Alzheimer's (She is in a nursing home and is 92), I will move back up there full time. I hate south Florida now, even though I was born and raised there.
Doug

Doug,
Whenever you're heading up let me know. I've found quite a few good trails and backroads to ride.

I really enjoy visiting FL. We used to do art festivals and we'd always go to FL for a couple of shows each spring and then again in the fall. Don't think I'd want to live there, but I would like to get back to visiting more often.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #6765
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
I have heard/reada 1 tooth smaller front sproket on the front will give you a higher top speed....any comments?
A smaller front sprocket will result in a higher rpm at any given speed. That said, some bikes simply can not pull the engines maximum rpms (redline) in top gear because the top gear is usually designed (taller) for more comfortable cruising. When that is the case you may indeed see a slight increase in top speed with a little gearing advantage, but usually it wont be much (if any) and it's kind of a trade off because the engine after all is reving higher -- increased vibrations, reduced mileage, etc.

I doubt it would make much of a difference if any with the XT. However more rpms could be a benefit in high gear if for example you are always in a mountainous area and need a little more gearing advantage. The smaller the engine the more the gearing becomes quite critical and really becomes personal to how and where you ride.

Edit: I did try a (larger) 16t front sprocket last year, but it was only on there for about 5 miles. I Didn't compare top speed to the 15t, but I hated it and the way it affected the throttle response in general (that personal thing I mentioned earlier)

Rumlover screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 04:20 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote