ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #6826
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdavis View Post
It's not coming across differently; it's keeping in mind the collective WRONG material that he continues to promote,

Filling your oil sight-glass up to the top purposefully, is just one of his suggestions. Setting valves at the extremity of the specs is another. There are many others.

Jerry has been asked, but doesn't respond well, to talk about other things, or to just to take a vacation (on another Site). But, he's back, apparently aggressively repeating the same things.

Opinions are one thing, but Jerry presents various things are facts. Also, he's not a man of few words...he'll talk all around a subject and get a few truths in among the nonsense, making a fair-minded but occasional viewer wonder why he's being picked on for ms-information. It's the totality of errors that calls into question listening to him without immediate contradiction, to protect the new-comers.

Alexd
I appreciate both you and CigarMike making me aware of some of the underlying issues and the courteous way in which you approached it. There are obviously some strong feelings and I do not want to get in the middle of it.

It sounds like a lot of it stems from another site. Maybe I am wrong but I really don't remember many such discrepencies coming up on here (and I am a regular reader) --- but then I do tend to skim over topics that don't interest me (like tires,luggage, windshields, etc,etc). I suspect everyone does that.

I participate in very few sites\threads because most tend to get caught up in arguments, disagreements, and personality issues (I am not implying that here because I don't know the history). My point is that I have enjoyed this site because of the usually friendly give and take and the exchange of ideas. I would simply appeal to everyone to keep it friendly. If you have a disagreement with a post then make your case and move on --- leave the grudges and insults elsewhere. Sometimes easier said then done, I know.
Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone.


Cheers again to ALL
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #6827
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,981
It is mostly alexdavis who is spewing out misinformation. And he does not back it up with any details or information. He posted on another forum that the valve clearances get looser rather than tighter when the valves wear. He promotes the use of super thin oils made for new cars in motorcycles, despite the fact that owners manuals specifically state not to use these oils. As for the Z1 modified pipe, I did not notice any additional power, I did have the snorkel still in place, but the mixture was too lean, according to the plug. I installed one size larger jets, main and pilot, and that fixed the lean problem, but still no more noticeable power. Remember I did not make this modification, the PO did. I would have preferred it stock. An increase of 1 hp would not be enough for me to notice, and I don't see how anyone could see that as a gain. And at what rpm does that increase occur? I have no use for more top end power, I mostly need low end torque. I use the XT as a trail bike, not a racer.

As for the tires, I have always run all my tires, car, truck, and motorcycle at manufacturers "max" recommended pressure. (and have never had any issues whatsoever in doing so) This is a very conservative pressure, the actual "max" pressure is much higher. Tire manufacturers are not going to recommend anything to their customers that is anywhere near dangerous. The main reason I run this pressure on the XT225 is because of it's weak wheels. Hundreds of owners have had spokes break, and even rim and hub damage on the XT, from what appears to be a combination of poor design, and very poor quality materials. I have been riding my XT225 under very rough off road conditions for 5 years now, for thousands of miles, and have not had one broken spoke. And I weigh 220 pounds. Now, that could be just a coincidence, but I doubt it. I believe (and no I can't prove it) that keeping the tires fully inflated helps strengthen the wheels. I do not remember saying it handled "better" at the max pressure, but that it did not handle bad. I do not have anything to compare it to, since I have never ridden an XT225 with low pressure in the tires.

It is fine to question what ANYBODY says, but apparently alexdavis believes that should not include anything he says. He believes he is right all the time. Yet he offers nothing to back it up. He comes across as a condescending know it all, again with nothing to back up what he says. My information comes from over 40 years of riding experience, and 35 years as a trained professional mechanic. (auto, not motorcycle) Yet I do not expect (or want) anyone to take what I say as absolute, as he seems to. I have always recommended that everyone do a lot of research on anything they are not sure of, and get as much information from as many different sources as possible. The whole truth will rarely be found in one place alone, and what works fine for one person may be completely wrong for someone else.

Just saw this "Filling your oil sight-glass up to the top purposefully, is just one of his suggestions. Setting valves at the extremity of the specs is another." Anybody see anything wrong with completely filling your engine with oil, especially since it holds just a hair over a qt.? Anybody see anything wrong with adjusting your valves to the loose side of manufacturer recommended tolerances? (which is still within manufacturers tolerances) All this does is make the valve adjustment stay within spec longer, since the valve clearances always get tighter as the valves wear. I have NEVER seen valve clearances get looser as the valves/valve seats wear. The way alexdavis says they do. I asked him to explain how this happens, but have not heard his explanation as of yet. He loves to use the words WRONG and MISINFORMATION, without giving any explanation as to how or why.

JerryH screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 04:38 PM
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #6828
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,981
Oh, BTW, here is a source for "legal" milk crates. I use one mounted on my BryanSwens luggage rack, and have been able to carry enough stuff in it for a several day trip (you can both put stuff in it, and attach things to the outside of it), along with a tool tube, Tusk tank panniers, and a front fender bag.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10000531
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #6829
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,747


This is my XT. In this pic, I have just cleaned it after racing it in a hare scramble(probably her last race, since I have a KX250 for racing now). Mine has 13K on her now, and is still mechanically 100%. Thanks to some hard living, she has a few (thousand) scratches. Most amazing to me is that I have never broken anything other than a turn signal.

Here is a short vid my buddy put together from the Go Pro he let me wear during the race:


This is one XT that gets a hard flogging!
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #6830
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As for the tires, I have always run all my tires, car, truck, and motorcycle at manufacturers "max" recommended pressure. (and have never had any issues whatsoever in doing so) This is a very conservative pressure, the actual "max" pressure is much higher.
Tires and pressures are like oils, everyone has their opinion. However, the max recommended pressure on a tire from the tire manufacturer doesn't have much to do with it's application on a particular bike. The same tire could be fitted to a bike that's twice the weight and although the max pressure would work on either without causing tire damage, the ride characteristics and contact patch would not be the same between the 2 if just 'maximum recommended pressure' were used. Best to go with the MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURER recommended tire pressure for that model and adjust for road conditions (less for off road, etc). For sure if higher tire pressures are used you will have a smaller contact patch, and contact patch is critical with a bike. Slightly lower pressures will produce better contact patch and grip, but some increased heat and wear may be the result (acceptable to many). Of course all this depends on how fat your ass is and how much any additional load there is. My guess on the little XT is Yamaha is guessing a fairly small rider and load weight for recommended tire pressures.
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #6831
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Tires and pressures are like oils, everyone has their opinion. However, the max recommended pressure on a tire from the tire manufacturer doesn't have much to do with it's application on a particular bike. The same tire could be fitted to a bike that's twice the weight and although the max pressure would work on either without causing tire damage, the ride characteristics and contact patch would not be the same between the 2 if just 'maximum recommended pressure' were used. Best to go with the MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURER recommended tire pressure for that model and adjust for road conditions (less for off road, etc). For sure if higher tire pressures are used you will have a smaller contact patch, and contact patch is critical with a bike. Slightly lower pressures will produce better contact patch and grip, but some increased heat and wear may be the result (acceptable to many). Of course all this depends on how fat your ass is and how much any additional load there is. My guess on the little XT is Yamaha is guessing a fairly small rider and load weight for recommended tire pressures.

Agreed. And I certainly don't expect everyone to run the same tire pressure. Run what suits "you" best. There are no absolute right or wrongs here. I would also "prefer" lower pressures off road, but the XT225 has a reputation for destroying it's wheels when ridden hard. My first post on this was simply to state the pressure I run, and my reasons for doing so. I believe that higher pressures help to strengthen the XT225s wheels, and I have never had a broken spoke in thousands of miles of abuse. Can I prove the pressures I run are the reason for that? Of course not. But I still run those pressures because I personally believe it helps, and have had no problems in doing so. In my case, often riding through rocks, the higher pressures also probably help protect the rims from dings and dents.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #6832
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat.Pilot View Post


This is my XT. In this pic, I have just cleaned it after racing it in a hare scramble(probably her last race, since I have a KX250 for racing now). Mine has 13K on her now, and is still mechanically 100%. Thanks to some hard living, she has a few (thousand) scratches. Most amazing to me is that I have never broken anything other than a turn signal.

Here is a short vid my buddy put together from the Go Pro he let me wear during the race:


This is one XT that gets a hard flogging!
Impressive. What do you have for suspension on that thing?
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #6833
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I will have my revenge for that mess of tail-light wiring under the rear fender. . .
I swear I bought it like that


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post

Nice transformation. It felt like a really long walk to the train station, besides having to walk back and give you the keys, I was full of regret. The next day I saw an 02' in perfect condition for $1,700 on Long Island and I'll admit I was tempted. But with a few more tweaks I'll be good with the 350, it's really more my size and not tooooo compromising.

But overall I'm glad Sally went to a good home, some crazy craigslister from Buffalo wanted to learn on one, drive it into the ground, and move on. That would have made me
__________________
2014 DL650 Vstrom
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #6834
norvegicus
waiting for spring...
 
norvegicus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Shores of Gitche Gumee
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Anybody see anything wrong with completely filling your engine with oil, especially since it holds just a hair over a qt.?
__________________
200? XR100/1985 CB700s/1982 CT110 (in pieces)/1982 C70/1979 CT90/1969 CB350
norvegicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #6835
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Impressive. What do you have for suspension on that thing?
Suspension is factory. It will go anywhere with the factory setup, just not very fast.
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6836
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I appreciate both you and CigarMike making me aware of some of the underlying issues and the courteous way in which you approached it. There are obviously some strong feelings and I do not want to get in the middle of it.

It sounds like a lot of it stems from another site. Maybe I am wrong but I really don't remember many such discrepencies coming up on here (and I am a regular reader) --- but then I do tend to skim over topics that don't interest me (like tires,luggage, windshields, etc,etc). I suspect everyone does that.

I participate in very few sites\threads because most tend to get caught up in arguments, disagreements, and personality issues (I am not implying that here because I don't know the history). My point is that I have enjoyed this site because of the usually friendly give and take and the exchange of ideas. I would simply appeal to everyone to keep it friendly. If you have a disagreement with a post then make your case and move on --- leave the grudges and insults elsewhere. Sometimes easier said then done, I know.
Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone.


Cheers again to ALL
I am done with the JerryH discussion. It does grow wearisome.

Where is that ignore function located?

Cheers,

Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #6837
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun
 
opaque_machete's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Far East, TN
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... watch how he almost never seems to post anything constructive or useful, most of his posts are to harass others who may not feel the way he does. He seems to feel the he, and his opinions, are superior to everyone elses.

Gee, sounds like DAKEZ to me.





















__________________
Marjorie
'93 XT225
'05 Ninjette
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #6838
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,338
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #6839
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Sorry you feel that way Cigar Mike, I was planning to buy another centerstand from you. . .
If you want one you better hurry. I am very close to closing down ( at least for 6 months out of the year) the centerstand business. It has always been a hobby and gave me something to do in my retirement. It now is interfering with other activities and has to go. I really don't care if you or anyone else orders a centerstand. I have worked hard to provide the stands for riders that really want them. You can always try to buy one somewhere else. I know of at least one company that plans on making them and has asked for my help.

Cheers,

Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #6840
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
... I know of at least one company that plans on making them and has asked for my help.
That's not Cigarette Soozie is it? Word on the street is she's trying to muscle her way into the CS business.
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014