Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #6871
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
No centerstand, I made an adjustable stand out of PVC that fits both bikes and extends from 8" to 18". We change all our own tires, so no fear of the tire change!
Tim --
Any chance of seeing some photos/details of that stand?
Thanks.
-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
sǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #6872
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
2009 XT250 Tire recomendations

Hello.

I have just purchased a slightly used 2009 XT250 and am seeking advice on Tires. I had a 2003 Xt225 some time back, It had Kenda 760's on it, they were awesome on the trails and held up well even on the road, the only thing I did not quite like was the road noise they generated. They always gave a distinctive HUM that was quite loud.

So, I dislike the stock cheng shins, they seem to wallow a bit. I am considering replacing them very soon. For a replacement tire, I seek a dirt worthy and street capable tire that provides good overall traction on the street, but with little to no noise. Also, I really don't want to get into any chain lengthening and or mods to to get them operational.
I guess that I would describe my preference as a 70/30 Dirt/street type of tire. I think the Kenda's were more of a 90/10. I enjoy my woods riding more than the street, the street is simply a vehicle to get me to area's of exploration.

Any recommendations based on what I have described is appreciated.

Very nice to be back on board... being able to ride again, just having the XT in the garage as a an escape hatch is very cool. Thanks...

Foamy
Foamfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #6873
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Hello.

I have just purchased a slightly used 2009 XT250 and am seeking advice on Tires. I had a 2003 Xt225 some time back, It had Kenda 760's on it, they were awesome on the trails and held up well even on the road, the only thing I did not quite like was the road noise they generated. They always gave a distinctive HUM that was quite loud.

So, I dislike the stock cheng shins, they seem to wallow a bit. I am considering replacing them very soon. For a replacement tire, I seek a dirt worthy and street capable tire that provides good overall traction on the street, but with little to no noise. Also, I really don't want to get into any chain lengthening and or mods to to get them operational.
I guess that I would describe my preference as a 70/30 Dirt/street type of tire. I think the Kenda's were more of a 90/10. I enjoy my woods riding more than the street, the street is simply a vehicle to get me to area's of exploration.

Any recommendations based on what I have described is appreciated.

Very nice to be back on board... being able to ride again, just having the XT in the garage as a an escape hatch is very cool. Thanks...

Foamy

Not sure about road noise or not, but I'm going to order a Pirelli MT-43 DOT trial tire. Lots of riders are raving about them, saying "I'll never go back to knobbies." The traction is supposed to be great, except in thick mud. I can't remember the descriptions about the street. The price is reasonable, about $65-69. I'll be mounting it on my WR450. I've been running an IRC GP1 on my XT225, which I've really liked, but the price of them has gone up a lot, so I'd get the Kenda version (the 270) or the MT-43. Folks report very high milage with the 270, but I don't know about the Pirelli's milage. I'll report back on the Pirelli after I actually have mounted & ridden one, in a month or so.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #6874
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Not sure about road noise or not, but I'm going to order a Pirelli MT-43 DOT trial tire. Lots of riders are raving about them, saying "I'll never go back to knobbies." The traction is supposed to be great, except in thick mud. I can't remember the descriptions about the street. The price is reasonable, about $65-69. I'll be mounting it on my WR450. I've been running an IRC GP1 on my XT225, which I've really liked, but the price of them has gone up a lot, so I'd get the Kenda version (the 270) or the MT-43. Folks report very high milage with the 270, but I don't know about the Pirelli's milage. I'll report back on the Pirelli after I actually have mounted & ridden one, in a month or so.
I love the trials style tire too. I have had good luck with the Shinko SR241 $54 for the 4.00 X 18 size. Great tire street or dirt.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #6875
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"
Might carry some extra spokes, spoke wrench. Twist tie rear spokes together. Other than that, sounds good to go.
Twist tie the rear spokes together? Explain please. Thanks!

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #6876
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
Twist tying the spokes together keeps the broken spoke from doing damage to the tube or the rest of the wheel. Does not do a whole lot to keep it from breaking.

Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #6877
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
Zip Tie or Safety Wire is what they meant to say
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #6878
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,259
A few days ago someone that has tried a lot of different tires on his XT had a pretty comprehensive post about them.
Looked & looked but I cant find it. Anybody know where it is or who posted it?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #6879
Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Took my little Zombie Apocalypse XT out for a bit of fun this weekend.

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #6880
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel View Post
Took my little Zombie Apocalypse XT out for a bit of fun this weekend.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #6881
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
A few days ago someone that has tried a lot of different tires on his XT had a pretty comprehensive post about them.
Looked & looked but I cant find it. Anybody know where it is or who posted it?
?? This ??

kamperbob.com/xt225tires

from Kamperbob
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #6882
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Bluhduh Crap

So I've got a '92 Xt 225 Serow and I just replaced the stock carb with a knock-off Mikuni VM-32 (I believe). First step (after the modifications to make the damn thing fit and function!) was to up the stock (for the new carb) 120 main jet with a 130. Fired up first crack and idles so beautifully it's hard to describe. Off the line she's got more power than before, so much so that I accidentally blasted across the first intersection from the house with one wheel on the ground

But after first gear the problems start. Past about half throttle the bike chokes and stumbles. I can short-shift and slowly work her up to sixty downhill (easy) and fifty or so uphill. And I mean a 1-2% grade at most. Each gear I go up it seems to have less power and throttle range.

After finding the problems I thought: Ok, not enough fuel under load. Larger main jet! I worked up slowly to a 145 MJ (Yeah, I know. Way huge.) Problem got better with 135 and 140 but then worse with 145. She just can't burn THAT much, I guess. I guessed timing (poorly-timed spark firing after up-stroke, not a problem at low RPMs, but more and more pronounced with higher RPMs). Pulled flywheel and checked upper and lower sprockets (upper is cracked horribly and needs to be replaced, but that's $77 I don't have right now ) chain tension was good, timing marks seemed right. Possibly very slightly advanced on the upper sprocket, but there's no way it skipped a tooth. If anything, chain stretch, but to my (un)professional eye, not enough to cause the issues I'm noticing.

So long story short, I've not a damn clue what else could be wrong with it. It seems like a lack of fuel (or too much air?).

Any ideas folks? I'm missing great riding weather here! Missed the last month waiting for the carb, which has been absolutely beautiful here in So. California.

Thanks in advance,

Mal
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #6883
badbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Rear guard options

Since my girlfriend purchased her XT I have slowly been reading through this thread and still have a long way to go all great reading. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a better looking rear guard / tail light combo for there XT, her bike would need a white guard, I think I have seen some people use blue TTR guards?
badbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #6884
.JimC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Reversed front fender

So I tried your idea - and the front fender just flops all over the place. The aluminum mount I made is reasonably stiff but the fender itself has no strength and when only supported from 2 holes it just flops around in the breeze. What did you do to stiffen it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Vancouver is wet, North Vancouver makes it look like a desert. We received over 94 inches of rain last year. Blech. Tired of super wet feet, and with no hope of rides in the mountains due to (alot of) snow. Great for snowboarding, not so much for riding....
.JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #6885
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,621
Does anyone have rear rack laying around they would like to get rid of? PM or email sandjoh@gmail.com Thanks

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote