Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #7546
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
On a side note. The chain is really happy when that seal goes out. Never seen it so wet with oil. Now if only there was a way to provide a little weep hole that would drop a single drip of oil on the chain every once in a while. Can't see a way to do that without providing a way for water to get in when running through water.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #7547
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,099
Mine did the same thing while on a road trip (in my van dirtbiking around) last month.
I pulled the seal and it had the size on it. I forgot the size but it says it on the seal. I called around and found a few bearing shops that had a seal. The replacement I bought was 7mm wide and the stock was 6mm. No issue with that at all.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #7548
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,907
Sounds like that seal could use some adhesive!! Wonder why so many are coming out? Something else to put on the "to do list"....
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #7549
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
Not sure what it's actually called but the seal around the drive shaft (behind the front sprocket) fell out yesterday.
It's called a countershaft. The seal is the countershaft seal.

#25 here. That one is for a '97.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #7550
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
#25 here. That one is for a '97.
Same here. For a 2005.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...5376#sch298528
But I'd definitely try a local bearing shop first. Same day service.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #7551
gbacque
Adventurer

countershaft seal

Pulled it last night and you are right the numbers are written right on it. So for future reference it is a....

SD 20 35 6-L

A7 is also written on it but not near the other numbers. Not sure what it means.

SD - type of seal (Spring something or other?)

20mm ID
36mm OD
6mm deep

with a spring on the inside.

Quote:
The replacement I bought was 7mm wide and the stock was 6mm. No issue with that at all.
Thanks, that bit of information might come in handy.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #7552
Maliwal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
On a side note. The chain is really happy when that seal goes out. Never seen it so wet with oil. Now if only there was a way to provide a little weep hole that would drop a single drip of oil on the chain every once in a while. Can't see a way to do that without providing a way for water to get in when running through water.
Lol yup, for the duration of my trip home I had an 'Automatic Chain Lubrication System'. Worked beautifully!
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #7553
mrsboogersnooger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
1986 XT225 Gear Set

I'm looking for the gear set from a 1986 XT225 and cannot find one online anywhere. Any ideas? Or is there another vehicle that used the same transmission?
mrsboogersnooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #7554
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
The countershaft oil seal is also available from cheapcycleparts.com, and bike bandit.com. I recently replaced mine. It did not fall out, and only leaked when the bike was parked on the sidestand, but I decided to replace it anyway.

There is no '86 XT225 in the U.S. They started with the '92 model. There was an XT250, but it was a completely different bike.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #7555
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Eek Front wheel tweak

I have knocked my front tire out of whack a couple times from hard crashes, and today it happened from snagging a beastly sticker bush with my handle bars while trying to get through some thick brush!

Out on the trail I usually just kick (gently of course ) the front wheel back in place. What do you think I should be checking when I get home? I loosened the axle nuts and reset the front wheel. Should I be worried about the fork tubes twisting in the triple clamps or something else ?
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #7556
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
I have knocked my front tire out of whack a couple times from hard crashes, and today it happened from snagging a beastly sticker bush with my handle bars while trying to get through some thick brush!

Out on the trail I usually just kick (gently of course ) the front wheel back in place. What do you think I should be checking when I get home? I loosened the axle nuts and reset the front wheel. Should I be worried about the fork tubes twisting in the triple clamps or something else ?
Knock em back and go. I have knocked mine out while riding as well, without falling. Nothing to worry about.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #7557
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:

Out on the trail I usually just kick (gently of course ) the front wheel back in place.
Is there any other way?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #7558
gbacque
Adventurer

Quote:

Like what was said before (not in so many words) if after your fix on the trail it feels right then you are probably good. At home if you still feel like it is tweaked a bit then you can loosen the forks then tighten everything back down again. Another good way to get them straight again is to find two trees that are very close together and wedge the front tire in there. Then you can really crank on the bars to straighten everything up again.

My friend rode my bike the other day and said that the bars where tweaked a bit. I don't even notice so I'll just leave it. Next time I fall I'll try and go off the other side. (like there is a choice)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #7559
gbacque
Adventurer

That rut is deeper than it looks and was completely hidden until I plowed threw it at 30mph+ and full rebound of that little drop in the distance. Funnest crash I have ever had. Laughing before I even hit the ground. It was like landing on a wet sponge.

Stood the bike up. Put the wheel between my knees and twisted the bars straight again and rode on.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #7560
mrsboogersnooger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The countershaft oil seal is also available from cheapcycleparts.com, and bike bandit.com. I recently replaced mine. It did not fall out, and only leaked when the bike was parked on the sidestand, but I decided to replace it anyway.

There is no '86 XT225 in the U.S. They started with the '92 model. There was an XT250, but it was a completely different bike.
Do you know anything about the '86 XT225 out of the US? We only need a gearset, or at least info on the tranny.
mrsboogersnooger is offline   Reply With Quote