User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #7561
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Motosport.com?

Argh. I just ordered a handful of parts from motosport.com. I ordered a new intake boot and supporting hardware, as well as a brake cylinder kit and new rubber brake lever cover. Got an email today saying my order shipped. Unfortunately the only things in this shipment are an o-ring for the intake boot, a fn dirt bike calendar (lame freebie) and some bolts. The rest is on back order. Anyone have any reputable sites to order parts from in the future? I see bike bandit tossed around a bit...
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #7562
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsboogersnooger View Post
Do you know anything about the '86 XT225 out of the US? We only need a gearset, or at least info on the tranny.
No such bike but it seems you were already told that... So yeah it was built by Harley Davidson, stop by any dealer and they will set you up. If they don't seem to know what you are talking about, I believe the parts from an 86 FXR are a direct swap!

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #7563
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
I'm looking for the gear set from a 1986 XT225 and cannot find one online anywhere. Any ideas? Or is there another vehicle that used the same transmission?
The '86 & '87 225's are TT225's. Parts are available at ebay, bike bandit, other places

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...6895#sch218039

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission...sories&vxp=mtr
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member

Trander screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:24 PM
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #7564
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
No such bike but it seems you were already told that... So yeah it was built by Harley Davidson, stop by any dealer and they will set you up. If they don't seem to know what you are talking about, I believe the parts from an 86 FXR are a direct swap!
Harley Davidson?????????
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #7565
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
I'm looking for the gear set from a 1986 XT225 and cannot find one online anywhere. Any ideas? Or is there another vehicle that used the same transmission?
Hi there,

XT225 production started in 1985 and the engine/transmission parts would be the same as the as the first US model bikes.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #7566
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Disappointed with Cheap Cycle Parts

I recently ordered some stuff for Half Pint. CheapCycleParts.com had competitive prices but with hindsight I'll reconsider them next time.

One issue was early failure of an O ring from the top end gasket set. Probably defective. I lost about half a cup of oil per ~200 mile tank of gas. CCP shirked that completey! No warranty!! Silver lining: Moose Racing made the gasket set. I contacted them and they are concerned and working to make things right.

Another issue. The chain I ordered did not say online whether the master link was included or not. I placed my order by phone. The sales guy was sure ML was NOT included. I actually ordered two chains so I added two links as well. Well, the chains did include masters. Not a bad problem but I'm disappointed about wasting money on something not needed. All due to THEIR misinformation. Were they just padding an order? They completely ignored that issue when I brought it to their attention. sigh

The new sprockets were aftermarket not OEM but advertised to fit. Well, I made them work but don't love it. The rear wasn't offset enough so I had to shim it with washers. The front only had one of two tapped holes for the retainer. It works but next time I need sprockets I'll splurge for genuine Yamaha parts. My peeve with CCP on that is advertising something as a "fit" that isn't up to OEM functionality.

I tried CCP because they were advocated here. Maybe nobody else ever had issues with them. Some might appreciate this data. Where customer service and satisfaction are concerned they leave room for improvement.

Cheers
Bob
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #7567
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Thanks for the warning Bob. Btw, I always avoid any business with the word "Cheap" in their name. There are much better words that convey that their prices are good.

There's no excuse for a salesperson to not know whether a chain comes with a master link.....It isn't an obscure, odd little part that they don't sell often.

The internet has been a very good way for shoddy, half-assed companies to get into business. The overhead is very low, printing & advertising costs are very low, and they can "Look" great as a website.

The "buy it now" button has made it where there is ZERO personal contact when doing business.

IMO, the "middle man" isn't serving much of a purpose, besides being a parasite between the manufacturers & the retail customers.

Of course there are still many wonderful customer oriented companies around, but they are having to compete with creap lazy crooks...

Sorry about the rank.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #7568
J5k
Adventurer

I installed a 127.5 main and a 40.5 pilot today as well as removing the brass plug and turnng the pilot air screw(?) out to 2.5 turns (it was at 2 stock). Not sure if it made much difference running (feels fine so far) but it now starts without the choke. My last 2 1/2 hour trail ride, it was running hot. Hopefully this will cool it down a bit.

One disturbing thing I noticed when pullin the carb bowl, was rusty sediment in the bowl. I know the bike got minimal usage the past 6 years. Anyone running an inline filter? I'm planning on adding one but hoping it doesn't mess with fuel flow to the carb.

J5k screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 07:52 PM Reason: iPhone sucks at posting
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7569
J5k
Adventurer

Toolkit

To be honest I havent even looked at what's in the factory tool kit. I use the spoke tool to tighten a few loosies on the back wheel, but then threw the supplied kit into the "bike box". What does everyone carry for tools? I've noticed just working on the bike that I generally need the spoke wrench, 10 and 11m sockets, a ratchet, a Phillips screwdriver and a few Allen wrenches (unsure of sizes but generally 6mm and lower). So I open the question, what's in your onboard tool kit?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #7570
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,375
Rear Hub Problem

During my rear tire change, the brake side rear bearing just fell out of the hub. It feels rough when rolled, and appears to have spun in the hub. The new bearing drops right in, with just a little slop.
Any options other than buying a new hub? Could I use Locktite and have it staked to buy me one more tire change? Do bearings have the same inside I.D. and different outside diameter that I can have the hub machined?
Anybody run into this before? Please give me your thoughts or suggestions.

(Any suggestions will be a short term repair. A rear wheel rebuild is in my future. )

Drtyfun screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 11:26 PM
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #7571
Dirtdeville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Three turns out

J5K-drilling the plug and turning out the screw made my 2007 go from almost unusable to barely even using the choke anymore.I would say that almost every owner should do it first thing and Yamaha really shouldn't have sold these bikes with the factory settings. Btw GlennR - when you say the 02's are pretty rare because they only made them one year is that a joke?Or did I miss something?
Dirtdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #7572
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
To be honest I havent even looked at what's in the factory tool kit. I use the spoke tool to tighten a few loosies on the back wheel, but then threw the supplied kit into the "bike box". What does everyone carry for tools? I've noticed just working on the bike that I generally need the spoke wrench, 10 and 11m sockets, a ratchet, a Phillips screwdriver and a few Allen wrenches (unsure of sizes but generally 6mm and lower). So I open the question, what's in your onboard tool kit?
Hi Mate,

I posted details of my kit over on the Serow site.

Just go to this link and you'll see what I carry.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...t&Number=98294

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #7573
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
[QUOTE=Dirtdeville;. Btw GlennR - when you say the 02's are pretty rare because they only made them one year is that a joke?Or did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #7574
J5k
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman View Post
Hi Mate,

I posted details of my kit over on the Serow site.

Just go to this link and you'll see what I carry.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...t&Number=98294

Regards

Reggie
Thanks Reggie!

I think I actually read your post before while I was scouring Craigslist for my xt. I'm trying to go light, but a small tail rack/bag setup might be in my future. I'm not traveling too far from civilization at the moment but still like to be somewhat prepared. I think I'll whack together a small kit that will hopefully fit in the stock toolbox, based on tools I've needed so far and the tips I've gained from your post. When I do I'll be sure to post the contents here. As a start, I've thought about building something like this... A short length of air-compressor hose, with tire pump ends on each end. Basically a hose to share air between tires (front to back, or a little from both if riding with a partner).
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #7575
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtyfun View Post
During my rear tire change, the brake side rear bearing just fell out of the hub. It feels rough when rolled, and appears to have spun in the hub. The new bearing drops right in, with just a little slop.
Any options other than buying a new hub? Could I use Locktite and have it staked to buy me one more tire change? Do bearings have the same inside I.D. and different outside diameter that I can have the hub machined?
Anybody run into this before? Please give me your thoughts or suggestions.

(Any suggestions will be a short term repair. A rear wheel rebuild is in my future. )
Take the wheel and bearing to a bearing store. They should be able to match the ID of the bearing and the OD of the wheel. If not offer a solution.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote