ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #7681
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
450 would be for a whole replacement shock. I bought both front and rear springs for our XT225 for ~220 or so. You'll need spring compressors to install the rear spring, I used a bunch of zip ties.. it would have been a lot easier with the proper tools.
Yeah apparently they have some more budget items, not listed online...

Email from them.

Thank you for contacting us.
We have helped quite a few XT225 customers out and would love to help you.
How much do you weigh without gear? Are you riding two-up?
We do have heavier springs available for the forks and the shock. Fork springs @ $119 and Shock spring @ $135. Also, available is the Race Tech Emulators Valve Kit @ $149. We are out of stock at the moment on custom springs, but would be able to have those in our hands in about +/- two weeks after ordering.
We welcome Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
Thank you again and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.
Have a good day.
Best,

Joyce Tannenbaum ~ Cogent Dynamics Customer Support
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #7682
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Yeah apparently they have some more budget items, not listed online...

Email from them.

Thank you for contacting us.
We have helped quite a few XT225 customers out and would love to help you.
How much do you weigh without gear? Are you riding two-up?
We do have heavier springs available for the forks and the shock. Fork springs @ $119 and Shock spring @ $135. Also, available is the Race Tech Emulators Valve Kit @ $149. We are out of stock at the moment on custom springs, but would be able to have those in our hands in about +/- two weeks after ordering.
We welcome Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
Thank you again and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.
Have a good day.
Best,

Joyce Tannenbaum ~ Cogent Dynamics Customer Support
I would love to do the front end over. I want a seat first though.
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #7683
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
So I finally got a rack big enough to actually camp off the XT and Clarke tank... Well load it all up, put my fat self on the seat and the suspension that was barely adequate before is now overwhelmed. So any budget suspension upgrades out there?
Close to those weights myself, bike goes fine with the mods i made
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #7684
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
Close to those weights myself, bike goes fine with the mods i made
And seeing as we used to go drinking together in my NC days, why have you never filled me in on these mods before?
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #7685
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
And seeing as we used to go drinking together in my NC days, why have you never filled me in on these mods before?
When the hell did you buy it and where you riding it out there?
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #7686
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
When the hell did you buy it and where you riding it out there?
I bought it in Garner so I had it there and I am pretty sure you saw it at Flying Saucer at least once!
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #7687
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
Also check the counter-shaft oil seal behind the sprocket. We talked about it a few pages back but it seams like this is going out on a lot of our bikes.
Thanks, I will definately try that. I took off the CS cover and cleaned in there before the last ride, so, I'll see what it looks like now!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #7688
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,665
my brakes suck -- plenty of meat but no stopping power.. i flipped the shoes around and cleaned up the area, including the walls... while there, i did the brakeline mod, routing the brakeline above the swing arm. anyway, plenty of meat, no stopping. i had to adjust to maximum to get any stopping power. tomorrow, I'll move the lever further back, but this thing should be stopping
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #7689
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
Close to those weights myself, bike goes fine with the mods i made
I wonder if there are inconsistencies in these shocks, as I have made numerous trips 2-up with camping gear. The only thing I do is preload the spring using the two rings to the minimum recommended height, and turning the rebound clicker underneath all the way counterclockwise and then back 1 or 2 clicks (saying to myself "It's 'hard' to go back in time" helps me remember which is soft,and which is the firm setting looking down from the top of the bike.
The only issue I've had is when I was loaded up to about 380lbs and the swingarm activated the above swingarm brake actuator rod, which in turn actuated the rear brake slightly, leading me to have an EXTREMELY hot rear drum. I would watch out for that! Speaking of which, I should probably check my wheel bearings...
Anyhooters, the bike is rated for 408 lbs luggage et al, so it should take it. Not that it will be a rocket, and not that it will be able to start on a hill w/ a 16t front counter sprocket ( don't ask)
You're adjusting both the preload and the rebound?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #7690
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
my brakes suck -- plenty of meat but no stopping power.. i flipped the shoes around and cleaned up the area, including the walls... while there, i did the brakeline mod, routing the brakeline above the swing arm. anyway, plenty of meat, no stopping. i had to adjust to maximum to get any stopping power. tomorrow, I'll move the lever further back, but this thing should be stopping
New shoes, maybe old ones contaminated? I found the first time I did the over swing-arm brake actuator rod, i had too many kinks in it, and all my pedal travel went into straightening the rod, with absolutely NO rear brake power. Was the actuator rod straight when it was underneath the swingarm?
I have found the rear brakes to be strong enough to skid any tires I've had on there, and actually like their modulation better than the rear discs on my wr250x.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #7691
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,665
maybe contaminated.. that's what i was thinking. i'll just order a set to be sure.
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #7692
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I wonder if there are inconsistencies in these shocks, as I have made numerous trips 2-up with camping gear. The only thing I do is preload the spring using the two rings to the minimum recommended height, and turning the rebound clicker underneath all the way counterclockwise and then back 1 or 2 clicks (saying to myself "It's 'hard' to go back in time" helps me remember which is soft,and which is the firm setting looking down from the top of the bike.
The only issue I've had is when I was loaded up to about 380lbs and the swingarm activated the above swingarm brake actuator rod, which in turn actuated the rear brake slightly, leading me to have an EXTREMELY hot rear drum. I would watch out for that! Speaking of which, I should probably check my wheel bearings...
Anyhooters, the bike is rated for 408 lbs luggage et al, so it should take it. Not that it will be a rocket, and not that it will be able to start on a hill w/ a 16t front counter sprocket ( don't ask)
You're adjusting both the preload and the rebound?
I am going to play some more tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Sounds like I missed something.
__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #7693
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost
 
Crazy Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Soaking up the Southern Californian Sun.
Oddometer: 2,028
My XT with it's new tank and rack... I bought the rack off ebay and have no idea who made it, it's huge though and I have had two people ask me where they can get one like it. Any ideas? I lucked out and only paid $35 for it. Was expecting something half this size but am certainly not complaining.




__________________
I've learned to give "impossible" the finger as I pass it by.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #7694
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NYC, AZ
Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
My XT with it's new tank and rack... I bought the rack off ebay and have no idea who made it, it's huge though and I have had two people ask me where they can get one like it. Any ideas? I lucked out and only paid $35 for it. Was expecting something half this size but am certainly not complaining.

Looks like the one from Cycleracks.com. Great find for only $35.
__________________
Steve
13 PCX150, 07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 01 FZ-1
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100, 87 CH250
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #7695
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,984
CC,
That was a heck of a deal on the rack. It is huge.

I was wondering what rear tire you have? It looks pretty beefy. I just ordered a Shinko 244 yesterday, but keep thinking a knobby would be fun to try sometime.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014