Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #7966
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Damn. Sorry to hear. I've got one just like that, the best year. You mind sharing how it was secured, where it was stored so we can learn from what didn't work?

I HATE thieves.
that is why the conceal weapons permits (ccws) are soo important. being a former californian, and worked in law enforcement there, if the laws were as some other states, there would be LESS CRIME.
good to here you got you bike back and all is well. ride safe.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #7967
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
So where do you guys buy your jets? All the places online I look you either have to buy a huge set or in multiples of 4 of the same size...
I've used jetsrus.com
If you've got the extra change, I would suggest sticking with the name brand jets. Just to ensure size accuracy.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #7968
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Glad to hear you got it back. Quick! Buy a lottery ticket while your good luck streak is still hot. ;)

The fork lock seems a no brainer. It won't prevent a team of determined pros from dead lifting such a light bike into a truck bed. But it should effectively dissuade opportunistic punks. That seems a more probably threat in general.

Rock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
Good news, it was recovered a few hours later. A few scratches, but it's all there.

The theives left a large desktop and a 6 ft ramp. They took swab samples for DNA, but told me that it probably won't produce anything. A few hours later, I got a call that said they found the bike behind a liquor store. The CSI told me they swabbed the bike and I was free to go. Upon mounting the bike, I noticed blood on the left handlebar. The CSI said he missed that and swabbed it. If his DNA is in the system or if it comes up in the future, he will have grand theft to deal with. My neighbor saw them both and can identify them.

Half the time, I park it in a very secure area. the other half of the time, it is outside, in what I thought was a secure area, all the way back of our apartment complex. You cannot see it from the street, and only a few people know it's there.

The theives were either regular bike theives or they were tipped off by someone that the bike was there (I'm thinking it was the landscaping crew). They came prepared (with the bike ramp) or they always carry it looking for opportunities.

They made a lot of noise, which made my neighbor check out what was going on. This makes me believe they are not "pros." Also, I don't think pros steal 2003 XT 225's, just saying.

They pushed the bike around another corner to conceal themselves better. From there they loaded the bike. A fork lock/steering lock might have deterred them from pushing the bike. But ultimately, locking the bike to something would have been a better deterrent.

In the OC, bike thefts are common. Four guys, with a pair of 2x4's can lift any bike into a van or truck.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #7969
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
You're right about 2003 being the best year. Except for the 2006 of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Damn. Sorry to hear. I've got one just like that, the best year. You mind sharing how it was secured, where it was stored so we can learn from what didn't work?
I HATE thieves.
In the ole days horse thieves faced capitol punishment. Just saying...
Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #7970
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 198
Is it a common accessment that a 42.5 pilot is the way to go over the stock 40?
And with the snorkel removed and the rest stock @ 1000' sea level Ive got a 130 main jet.
BTW concerning the clutch lever light return I have noticed that on XT's and TW's
It has led to slipping clutches at times and so I put an additional spring down on the left side clutch arm and no more slipping clutch,just a little bit stiffer clutch pull.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #7971
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Your jetting is the same as mine and works fine @ 1200 ft. I also turned the fuel screw out to 3 turns which speeds up warm up. Half snorkel, Z1 mod ( 1 1/8 hole in baffle about 6" inside pipe) and UNI filter. I added (2) UNI 1" filter plugs in the side of the airbox. The latter changes work well with that jetting.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #7972
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
Your jetting is the same as mine and works fine @ 1200 ft. I also turned the fuel screw out to 3 turns which speeds up warm up. Half snorkel, Z1 mod ( 1 1/8 hole in baffle about 6" inside pipe) and UNI filter. I added (2) UNI 1" filter plugs in the side of the airbox. The latter changes work well with that jetting.
So with pretty much these same mods... excluding the 1" filter plugs ( might have to look into doing that) what would the best jetting at slightly above sea level be?

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #7973
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
I am very happy with a127.5 main, 42.5 pilot, 3 turns out, with stock pipe, airbox and filter, at about 800 feet elevation. Very snappy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #7974
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Oh, also, I get mine from jetsrus, as well. 2 proper jets delivered is about $20. Great service and fast shipping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #7975
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Is it a common accessment that a 42.5 pilot is the way to go over the stock 40?
And with the snorkel removed and the rest stock @ 1000' sea level Ive got a 130 main jet.
BTW concerning the clutch lever light return I have noticed that on XT's and TW's
It has led to slipping clutches at times and so I put an additional spring down on the left side clutch arm and no more slipping clutch,just a little bit stiffer clutch pull.
Interesting topic, I notice that from the service manual the Canadian Spec bikes have a 42.5 pilot, and a 122.5 Main, I wonder if this smaller main would account for "hiccuping" at highway speeds at altitude, which is a major concern on this bike when trying to maintain above 50mph above 2000 ft. Anywhere below that the bike is a scalded cat. I've never taken the carb off, and don't want to fix it til it breaks.
Re. the clutch cable, I did what an inmate recommended and disconnected it and lubed it up, which did make a noticeable difference to the lever returning to the full out position. I'm pretty sure there was some crap in the housing near the spring. Probably resulting from a little too much of this:
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #7976
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Interesting topic, I notice that from the service manual the Canadian Spec bikes have a 42.5 pilot, and a 122.5 Main, I wonder if this smaller main would account for "hiccuping" at highway speeds at altitude, which is a major concern on this bike when trying to maintain above 50mph above 2000 ft. Anywhere below that the bike is a scalded cat. I've never taken the carb off, and don't want to fix it til it breaks.
Re. the clutch cable, I did what an inmate recommended and disconnected it and lubed it up, which did make a noticeable difference to the lever returning to the full out position. I'm pretty sure there was some crap in the housing near the spring. Probably resulting from a little too much of this:
The only time I have experienced "hiccuping" is when I have been on the slightly rich side, and then only at high rpm. I ride from about 4,500' and up (125 main, no snorkel, about 2.25 turns on pilot screw).

A 122.5 main does not sound large enough to cause a rich symptom if everything else is correct.
How does the air cleaner look? Spark plugs? etc.

Little things can make a difference on these small engines. It could very well be too lean of a main (as you speculate), but only a little experimenting will tell you which way to go on the jetting.

Does the Canadian spec bike have an adjustable needle? If so I would start there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rumlover screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 07:04 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #7977
Crazy Canadian

I am considering doing the snorkel mod while I have everything apart. A little concerned considering how dirty it is around the snorkel base about removing and wandering if it results in getting a ton of crap in the airbox? As for the half snorkel mod am I correct in assuming you guys are just removing the portion of the snorkel inside the airbox?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #7978
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I cut the bottom part of the snorkel off and put it back in with the openings facing front, away from the little cross brace. I tried removing the snorkel altogether and it ran fine, but made an annoying droning roar. I added the filter plugs to give the intake breathing the extra boost as with the snorkel removed but without the noise.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #7979
Crazy Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
I cut the bottom part of the snorkel off and put it back in with the openings facing front, away from the little cross brace. I tried removing the snorkel altogether and it ran fine, but made an annoying droning roar. I added the filter plugs to give the intake breathing the extra boost as with the snorkel removed but without the noise.
Filter plugs?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #7980
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Filter plugs?

Filter vents.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote