Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #8041
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

Oddometer: 114
[QUOTE=woofer2609;20171173]Thanks for the info, I'm curious where you mounted the slider, is it on the side or top of the airbox?
Possible to see pics?

+1

Bring on the pictures, and exactly what you bought from Thunder Products.

Thanks
OldGypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #8042
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
If you get that carb clean and sorted out, you will be starting out in 2nd gear on the street like I do. 1st is pretty much my "woods" gear. Stock 15 cs.
I already start out in second just because 1st annoys me. I was more wondering what the real difference is between the 15 and 16?
Dirt2Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #8043
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
I already start out in second just because 1st annoys me. I was more wondering what the real difference is between the 15 and 16?
1 tooth.
The xt engine doesn't develop enough rpm, therefore HP, in 6th at about 55MPH to handle a (small) hill, so you'll be switching back and forth more between 5th and 6th. This bike is pretty much perfect IMHO stock, apart from farkles. To each their own. First is low enough with either 15 or 16t.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #8044
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Your service manual should tell you the oil change intervals. You have one?
PM me if you need one.

Anyway, yeah it is time to change your fork oil.

It sounds like your carb might need to be cleaned(google carb 101 and carb 102 for instructions).

Also your mixture screw should be adjusted if it hasn't been done.

Good luck.

Nuggets.
alright. i'm very hesitant about messing around with the carb. never done that before. i shall check it out on google. thanks
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #8045
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I was trying to find the ones I bought for mine on ebay and ran across these.

Other than the white, I like the look.
I feel like if these were the same blue as my bike, they'd look dope! Or even Black. I'm not a big fan of the white either.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #8046
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
1 tooth.
The xt engine doesn't develop enough rpm, therefore HP, in 6th at about 55MPH to handle a (small) hill, so you'll be switching back and forth more between 5th and 6th. This bike is pretty much perfect IMHO stock, apart from farkles. To each their own. First is low enough with either 15 or 16t.
Well I've heard 4th gear turns ridiculously good after making the swap. I only weigh 140lbs and have never had to downshift to keep speed up! probably cuz I don't weigh anything. I've also had my bike up to and holding about 75 without it whining...probably because I weigh nothing. lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #8047
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm curious where you mounted the slider, is it on the side or top of the airbox?
Possible to see pics?
Aha - I just happen to have the side panel off, since I cleaned the air filter and am waiting for it to dry.
So, I took this pic just now, in the dark using the flash, and I'll be darned if the flash didn't make my bike look really dirty..... Anyway, it is called a TPI valve. In the picture, it is without the little piece of foam filter that fits in; I had taken it out to clean it (it just pulls right out through the "window"), and forgot I hadn't put it back in.

My airbox cover isn't totally flat ('97), so I had to put some shims in at the top, since the "window" needs to be flat to open and close properly. When the side panel is on, it covers it up about halfway, but the open/close part is exposed so it can be opened and closed easily. You can see the "slider" is mostly open here.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #8048
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
alright. i'm very hesitant about messing around with the carb. never done that before. i shall check it out on google. thanks
It isn't too hard, but it isn't for everyone. You have to be careful not to do more harm than good as there are small and delicate parts in there. Maybe you can find someone who will help you out.

Does your bike idle well? If it does, your jets may be clean. The pilot jet has the smallest orifice, and is prone to clog first. Often, a bike that will run on choke, but not idle when warmed up is indicative of a dirty carb.

Drilling out the mixture screw cap and adjusting it easy. You don't have to pull the carb off the bike. The procedure is spelled out in this thread and on xt225.com. A search for "mixture screw" should find it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #8049
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 402
AHA! again...just remembered I have a brand new TPI valve for another bike which I have not yet installed:

Here, the little foam filter is visible:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #8050
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post
Aha - I just happen to have the side panel off, since I cleaned the air filter and am waiting for it to dry.
So, I took this pic just now, in the dark using the flash, and I'll be darned if the flash didn't make my bike look really dirty..... Anyway, it is called a TPI valve. In the picture, it is without the little piece of foam filter that fits in; I had taken it out to clean it (it just pulls right out through the "window"), and forgot I hadn't put it back in.

My airbox cover isn't totally flat ('97), so I had to put some shims in at the top, since the "window" needs to be flat to open and close properly. When the side panel is on, it covers it up about halfway, but the open/close part is exposed so it can be opened and closed easily. You can see the "slider" is mostly open here.
Cool! Thanks so much! I was wondering if you'd be able to move the slider without taking off a side panel. The ability to adjust the mixture while riding will be much appreciated. Gotta get me one!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #8051
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
>"alright. i'm very hesitant about messing around with the carb. never done that before. i shall check it out on google. thanks "

I took the carb off the bike... to remove it you need to loosen the airbox (only a couple fasteners) and 'fool around' a bit with the carb to get it to come out.

The hard part on the carb is the f'n screws holding the float bowl on. Odds are you will strip a screw,
(I did)... and will need a dremel tool to grind the head off the screw. When you put it back together,
buy some stainless allen head screws hold the float bowl on. Note that 1 of the screws is a bit longer
than the others, it holds a wire bracket.

Once the bolts are off the carb, the jet conversion/cleaning whatever is very simple.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #8052
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Pissed Handlebar upgrade!

Anybody out there know the specs of the stock handlebars? I want to upgrade to get better control offroad. I don't have an owners manual so I can't just look it up..Great bike and great deal just urks me he didnt have it. I'll be buying that first, I suppose.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #8053
OldGypsy
FoolForDirt

Oddometer: 114
TPI Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post
AHA! again...just remembered I have a brand new TPI valve for another bike which I have not yet installed:

Here, the little foam filter is visible:
Thanks for posting the pics. Hope this thing will be a cure for the sputtering and coughing at 8-11k' feet - the only problems I had last summer on the GDR when trying to keep it going +50mph.
OldGypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #8054
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
We just put new tires on my XT-250....Pirelli MT-21 Rally Cross! I'm so glad to get rid of those stock Cheng Sh** tires.

(p.s. There is no 250 thread, so's I just hang out here ).
You are hanging out in the wrong place

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403156
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #8055
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
(p.s. There is no 250 thread, so's I just hang out here ).
We are glad to have you here, but FYI:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=xt250

for the 2013

They can probably be more help if you have a specific engine issue.

I for one would love to have your rear disc brake and stronger rear wheel.

Your bike is so pretty. Mine was like that when I got it, but I have flogged all the shiny and new right off of it.