Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #8086
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Donít know how far away this is & not A 225, but ... 333 miles?!
2009 YAMAHA XT250 , 333 miles - $2900
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3450992622.html
Donít seem to be a lot of XT225s around there. Iím surprised.
I went and tested that bike out for an Inmate from HI. Nice bike and if I had not just bought a house, would have picked it up myself. Owner seemed like a nice guy, I know a couple local guys who know him but had not met him myself before. HI guy backed out due to cost of shipping.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #8087
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,607
Last year there were quite a few dealers selling new leftover '09's, seemed like a great deal for a new bike.

That one with 333 miles was probably one of them.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #8088
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
I checked out a 2001 XT225 today.
Looked it over and took it out for a test ride.
Everything seemed to work well.
The gentleman wants $2,000
The bike has 4,200 miles on it.
Does that sound like a reasonable price.
I also checked out a 2008 XT250 which has 9,300 miles on it, and that guy wants $3,000.
2001 seems really old, but the bike does not look old or beat up, has new tires.
I'm leaning toward the XT225
Pic of XT225

I don't see a skid plate on this one.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #8089
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
The advantages of the XT250 are 25 more cc's, and disc rear brake. Advantages of the XT225 are 6 speed transmission, grease fittings in suspension linkage and skid plate (I don't see one in the picture). 250 has more torque and 225 is lighter.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #8090
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Service Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Thanks, I wanted to stay close to stock size so ordered the 2.75 front and 4.60 backbut debated the 3 for the front.

This monster thread on the 225s is great. I don't have the original owners manual but found the link and downloaded the read only PDF. I have a Clymer manual for my DR350 but couldn't find one for the xt. Any suggestions for a good repair/service manual that is simple like the Clymer? For a service manual I really want paper, not some electronic only version.

I was kind of concerned that the low height would make the bike feel cramped but even though it is compact it doesn't feel cramped. My son is a little shorter and really likes the size. I can see why these have such a following. For reference I rode a DR200 a little in the past, I wasn't that impressed with it and I like this a lot more, feels lighter, more agile and seems considerably more peppy

I don't know if it is still an option but back when we bought our first '06 XT, the factory service manual was available from Yamaha on line (did I mention that it was free?). Like you I wanted paper so I downloaded, it printed it out and had my local printer bind it with that plastic 'ring' binding so that it will lay flat. It is a pretty thick manual, I actually had it bound into two volumes of about 5/8" thick each. Yes, there was cost associated in printing it out but I really love that I can lay it out on whatever passes for a flat surface in my garage and reference it as needed. If I am going to want a few specific pages for reference while doing something really messy (I tend to get fork oil everywhere) I can just print out those pages separately and throw them out after the oily process is done to 'preserve' the manual. Might not be just what you want but it may still be an option.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #8091
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I don't know if it is still an option but back when we bought our first '06 XT, the factory service manual was available from Yamaha on line (did I mention that it was free?)...
Wow, I'm pretty sure that if you downloaded the Service Manual, it WASN'T from Yamaha USA. No doubt you can find digital copies of it, somewhere, but as far as I know they've only made the Owner's Manual freely and legally available. I bought the paper copy from my dealer--seems worthwhile to me.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #8092
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Wow, I'm pretty sure that if you downloaded the Service Manual, it WASN'T from Yamaha USA. No doubt you can find digital copies of it, somewhere, but as far as I know they've only made the Owner's Manual freely and legally available. I bought the paper copy from my dealer--seems worthwhile to me.

The FREE Yamaha manuals are from Yamaha AU. http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #8093
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
The FREE Yamaha manuals are from Yamaha AU. http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0
Owner's Manual (available from US, much better pdf quality as well)
Service Manual

Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #8094
pnw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I don't know if it is still an option but back when we bought our first '06 XT, the factory service manual was available from Yamaha on line (did I mention that it was free?). Like you I wanted paper so I downloaded, it printed it out and had my local printer bind it with that plastic 'ring' binding so that it will lay flat. It is a pretty thick manual, I actually had it bound into two volumes of about 5/8" thick each. Yes, there was cost associated in printing it out but I really love that I can lay it out on whatever passes for a flat surface in my garage and reference it as needed. If I am going to want a few specific pages for reference while doing something really messy (I tend to get fork oil everywhere) I can just print out those pages separately and throw them out after the oily process is done to 'preserve' the manual. Might not be just what you want but it may still be an option.

Bruce

That would be great but I could only find owner's manual on the Yamaha site and that is pdf read only (no print). Is the factory service manual something that a non-mechanic would reasonably understand? The Clymer I have for the DR350 is good for a layman.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #8095
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
That would be great but I could only find owner's manual on the Yamaha site and that is pdf read only (no print). Is the factory service manual something that a non-mechanic would reasonably understand? The Clymer I have for the DR350 is good for a layman.
The factory Service Manual is great. It can be purchased legally online, or via other means should one choose to do so. It is easy enough to follow, you will have no trouble.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #8096
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Owner's Manual (available from US, much better pdf quality as well)
Service Manual

Hmmm?

Sorry about that. They must'a changed it because I got a Service Manual for my XT225. I also got an Owners Manual for my WR450F, but the Owners Manual for it is like a Service Manual, I guess since it's considered a racing bike.

edit: I just double checked the WR one is called an "Owners Service Manual".

GlennR screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:12 PM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #8097
pnw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
The factory Service Manual is great. It can be purchased legally online, or via other means should one choose to do so. It is easy enough to follow, you will have no trouble.

Interesting, it looks like the service manual printable PDF was free online from Yamaha at least up until a few years ago then it became no longer available from Yamaha but some web sharing sites have it for download. I don't trust downloading from one of those sites. The wide availability of the free download probably explains why the actual manual isn't available as far as I can see. There is an EBay seller from Canada who implies he sells the service manual (CD or E-mail) but he doesn't specifically state that is Yamaha - I wonder if he has a copy of the free Yamaha PDF that he sells for $8 or so.

HardWorkingDog - do you recall how much your manual cost?

Thanks
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #8098
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
...HardWorkingDog - do you recall how much your manual cost?
No, but they're not cheap. List price is $79--you can actually order them online from yamaha's website. I ordered mine from my dealer who gives me a small discount off list price. The part number is LIT-11616-XT-26--you can try some of the online OEM parts dealers and see if you can get it discounted. Try ronayers.com, servicehonda.com etc. The manual includes revisions to previous model years as well.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #8099
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Interesting, it looks like the service manual printable PDF was free online from Yamaha at least up until a few years ago then it became no longer available from Yamaha but some web sharing sites have it for download. I don't trust downloading from one of those sites. The wide availability of the free download probably explains why the actual manual isn't available as far as I can see. There is an EBay seller from Canada who implies he sells the service manual (CD or E-mail) but he doesn't specifically state that is Yamaha - I wonder if he has a copy of the free Yamaha PDF that he sells for $8 or so.

HardWorkingDog - do you recall how much your manual cost?

Thanks
PM sent.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #8100
maverick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Unfortunately I lost the 2009 XT250 deal with the 333 miles on it, because when I searched Craigslist I typed in "XT250" instead of "XT 250" with a space, so I never saw the ad until it was too late.
I guess syntax matters when searching Craigslist.

Anyway, I found a 2007 with around 500 miles on it.
Does the low mileage necessarily mean the bike, engine is in good shape?
I guess the brake pads won't have much wear.
Probably has never had an oil change.
What service has to be done on a bike of this age/mileage? Oil, brake fluid, ?????
Probably the original tires. Don't tires go bad/hard with age?
Just wondering what the bike will need to be road/trail worthy.
I hope the same fuel was not sitting in the tank and fuel system for the last 5 years.
Anything you guys can think of would be appreciated.
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote