User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #8191
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
One Million Views!!

The xt thread has just passed the 1 million view mark! Go lil xt's go!
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #8192
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
The xt thread has just passed the 1 million view mark! Go lil xt's go!

That's a heck of a lot of "Riding Time Wasted", considering the XT225 almost never breaks down!!

Just think of all the time we'd spend here if we needed fix-it info!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #8193
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
Go lil xt's go!
WooHoo

Unfortunately the little XT is no longer going!

Seems we don't have adequate compression

Any suggestions on an overbore, head swap or other upgrades?

I've heard that the timberwolf 250 atv head is a bolt on but no confirmation

Sure looks good
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #8194
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
[QUOTE=Rumlover;20271867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post

Correct, it accelerated slower with the 16t.

The 16t was just kind of an experiment, because I was doing mostly city riding at the time and didn't like the stock 15t first gear.
I should have known better, small engine and taller gearing -- what did I expect? Oh well it's only about ten minutes to swap out front sprockets.

Last summer I did quite a bit more dirt/trail riding on it (it was originally the wife's bike) and I found the stock (15t) gearing just a little too tall for the rides I took it on. So I will probably put a 14t on the front for next summer. I also have a 47t for the rear (needs some modifying to fit), so who knows where I will end up.

You are correct (and as already mentioned ) smaller front and\or larger rear sprocket makes for lower gearing.

Sorry for being a little confusing earlier. I have gone from one extreme to the other, but thats how things seem to go for me.
let us know how the starting out in 2nd gear works out for street with a 14t. I'm betting that might be the ticket. top end might only be 50 but thats fine for what i use the xt for. Right now i'm using 16t because i'm 90% grocery runs. But i dont want to change it every time i wanna do some hills in the dirt.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #8195
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
[QUOTE=dav_dman;20275190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post

let us know how the starting out in 2nd gear works out for street with a 14t. I'm betting that might be the ticket. top end might only be 50 but thats fine for what i use the xt for. Right now i'm using 16t because i'm 90% grocery runs. But i dont want to change it every time i wanna do some hills in the dirt.

Here's a write-up from Muniac (runs XT225.com) about gearing. He likes his super-low (15/58), like he'd lose a race against a bulldozer!

http://www.xt225.com/pdf/B030.pdf
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #8196
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,745
Spoke kits are "spoken for".

Thanks for playing everybody
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #8197
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
WooHoo

Unfortunately the little XT is no longer going!

Seems we don't have adequate compression

Any suggestions on an overbore, head swap or other upgrades?

I've heard that the timberwolf 250 atv head is a bolt on but no confirmation

Sure looks good
Per Yamaha parts fiche: Part no. for Timberwolf head ass'y 48D-11101-03-00 (listed as non-available) and for XT 225 part no. is 5RK-11101-00-00. Timberwolf has a 1mm bigger bore but lower compression, I believe. I own both and they sure look the same.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #8198
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
Per Yamaha parts fiche: Part no. for Timberwolf head ass'y 48D-11101-03-00 (listed as non-available) and for XT 225 part no. is 5RK-11101-00-00. Timberwolf has a 1mm bigger bore but lower compression, I believe. I own both and they sure look the same.
Is your timberwolf in operation condition?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #8199
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Talking

[QUOTE=Rumlover;20271867]
Quote:

Correct, it accelerated slower with the 16t.

The 16t was just kind of an experiment, because I was doing mostly city riding at the time and didn't like the stock 15t first gear.
I should have known better, small engine and taller gearing -- what did I expect? Oh well it's only about ten minutes to swap out front sprockets.

Last summer I did quite a bit more dirt/trail riding on it (it was originally the wife's bike) and I found the stock (15t) gearing just a little too tall for the rides I took it on. So I will probably put a 14t on the front for next summer. I also have a 47t for the rear (needs some modifying to fit), so who knows where I will end up.
Did you get a chance to take the 16t offroad at all? I ride a lot on highways, upwards of 55-60 mph and I can't go down a tooth sense I'll lose top end. The stock is okay but first is annoying and I can't stand being in 4th at 35 mph. (give or take).
Let us know how 14t does on the road; especially at highways speeds..Maybe I'll get away with a 14t sprocket. (Wishful thinking ) I just can't keep changin stuff on my bike. My dad doesn't trust me enough. lol.
Let me know when you get it fitted and how it rides! I've considered doing this and also going to 15front - 43back.
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #8200
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Is your timberwolf in operation condition?

Yes. Use it often.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #8201
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Will turning the fuels screw out like it is supposed to be help with backfiring?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #8202
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Will turning the fuels screw out like it is supposed to be help with backfiring?
Backfiring is an indication of a lean condition. That could be just from the pilot and/or main jet being restricted and needing cleaned, or maybe you need larger jets. Turning out the screw is almost always a good idea.

Is is actually explosively backfiring or just making popping noises while decelerating?
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold

kewlbyme screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 06:23 PM
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #8203
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31

Yeah DAV, the 14T Primary works OK for trail/ street use. You still have to slip the clutch a bit for 2nd gear starts. I have gone back to 15T but am running slightly shorter tires so it feels the same.
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #8204
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Dirt2Street wrote:
Did you get a chance to take the 16t offroad at all? I ride a lot on highways, upwards of 55-60 mph and I can't go down a tooth sense I'll lose top end. The stock is okay but first is annoying and I can't stand being in 4th at 35 mph. (give or take).
Let us know how 14t does on the road; especially at highways speeds..Maybe I'll get away with a 14t sprocket. (Wishful thinking ) I just can't keep changin stuff on my bike. My dad doesn't trust me enough. lol.
Let me know when you get it fitted and how it rides! I've considered doing this and also going to 15front - 43back.
Sorry for all the questions.[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I didn't try the 16t offroad, but based upon my experience with the 15t on the trails I am sure I personally would not want a 16T on there.

In my opinion (whatever that is worth) I think the stock 15/45 is about perfect if you plan on mostly street riding with some occasional dirt/trail thrown in. I am by no means an expert but I was surprised at some of the steep rocky places I got through with the stock setup. And the stock gearing will cruise all day at 60/65 mph if you want.
I don't really see me needing to cruise long distances on this bike so that is why I am lowering the gear ratio.

Again just my opinion, but I really don't see much advantage to the 16t unless cruising on the freeway is your primary riding, and then I don't know if there is really any advantage.
Like I said previously I ride at higher altitude so I lose some hp, so maybe those riding at lower altitudes see a little more benefit from the 16t.

You will figure out what works for you, and your dad will trust you more as time goes on and you show him you are willing to learn and do it right. Find a good mechanic/friend who is willing to help and teach. And ride safely!!

Rumlover screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 07:28 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #8205
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
My bike is ridden by me (210 lbs) and my friend who weighs maybe (125 lbs, I am not asking her) and I have tried 14,15,and 16 tooth sprockets and the 15 tooth works best for both of us. Even on the gnarliest of offroad i can ride and whatever she can the 14 is overkill. I raced a tight, tight NJ stick forest enduro with the 15 and it was fine. Rocks, no problem, no need for the 14.
As for the 16 it helps the instant shifting when accelerating a bit, but the bike does not have the power to pull it in 6th gear and you are often 5th. It is obviously worse for me being a fat bastard, but doesn't work for her either.
I switched it back to 15 and didn't tell her, and she asked me why the bike runs better now? Believe me she is not a pro, and if she can notice and weight less than most of us, no reason to go to a 16. A matter-off-fact i will send my 16tooth to anyone who pays $5 to me for shipping and $5 to Baldy for the site.