Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #8266
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
Seriously, I had a hard time actually measuring. Functionally, I am thinking about 1.5 to 2"? About the same height as the 2001 with Renthals and risers.
I dont have a precise answer.
Okay, sounds good. Looks like I have my own late christmas present picked out.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #8267
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Question

Sure would like a answer to my dumb question to post #8255 about carb adj.(previous page)
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #8268
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Sure would like a answer to my dumb question to post #8255 about carb adj.(previous page)
Hey tuna, No questions are dumb but each bike is different. I can tell you where my carb is at but i have dickered with jetting etc. and live at about 3500' altitude. Can you be more specific about how it is acting? Some say 3 turns out on the mixture screw but I find mine runs well at 2.5 turns. I am running well with a 127.5 main, 42.5 pilot and 1 shim under needle. These work for me but I have done the snorkel removal, K&N filter and FMF PC4 pipe. Some details please.

Travis28715 screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 07:36 AM Reason: more info
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #8269
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:

Hey Tuna,

I'm no carb guru, but here's a good carb article that you may find helpful.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/647-carb-tuning/
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #8270
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Tusk Mini High Bend Bars

I was looking at the Mini High Bend bars on the linked site, and I also noticed the ATV Sport Bend are even higher. The Mini's are 4.50" and the ATV's are 6.25" high.

I wonder if the ATV ones might be good, or if they would be too high. Has anybody tried them?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #8271
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I was looking at the Mini High Bend bars on the linked site, and I also noticed the ATV Sport Bend are even higher. The Mini's are 4.50" and the ATV's are 6.25" high.

I wonder if the ATV ones might be good, or if they would be too high. Has anybody tried them?
I was wondering the same thing... But don't want to look like I am running ape hangers on an XT...

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #8272
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
Hey tuna, No questions are dumb but each bike is different. I can tell you where my carb is at but i have dickered with jetting etc. and live at about 3500' altitude. Can you be more specific about how it is acting? Some say 3 turns out on the mixture screw but I find mine runs well at 2.5 turns. I am running well with a 127.5 main, 42.5 pilot and 1 shim under needle. These work for me but I have done the snorkel removal, K&N filter and FMF PC4 pipe. Some details please.
Thanks for your reply, I live at 3K, the bike was modified with Pro Circut, pod filter, 16T sproket, and jetting. I'm putting it back to total stock. The air box, muffler, 15T are back on. The PO had messed with the pilot jet screw, I guess trying to do the 3 turn mod and totally screwed it up, it was cross threaded and the head was beyond repair. I tried a LH drill bit to no avail. I ordered a new stock carb(hard to find as there back ordered till 2/8) but I did find and it's on it's way and should have this week end. I got a adjustable pilot jet screw from Jesse at Keintech. I know folks all have different adj on it but any where from 2 to 3 turns seems to be the normal. With the adjustable on I'll be able to fine tune with the bike ideling. I'm looking for suggestions on how to adjust the carb when I first put it on for initial start up. Isn't there a factory adj screw and where should it be? If you could run the basic tuning of the carb to me that's all I'm looking for. Remember it's tottaly stock, the only mod that will be done for now is the 3 turn to get rid of the factory lean. Thanks, Craig
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #8273
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
I was wondering the same thing... But don't want to look like I am running ape hangers on an XT...
Roger that. Monkey bars can lead to collateral grievances...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #8274
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
Can you be more specific about how it is acting?
He didnít even have the carb yet.
He should just do the 2.5 Ė 3 turns & maybe check the jet sizes before putting it on. If the jet sizes are stock it will probably run fine. Otherwise no sense messing with any changes until he knows how it runs.

Edit: Looks like thatís whatís gonna happen.
Factory adj screw? No, canít think of any others. Maybe an easy to adjust after running idle screw on the right side, donít recall.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #8275
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post

Yeah, I might be a little too old to pull it off......even in a tie-dye T-shirt. I might look as silly as a fat lady in a convertible! (But my bald spot doesn't show with a helmet!!!)

I guess the simplest way to decide is to get the Mini High Bends and try riser blocks with them. The cables & wires might be too short to use higher bars?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #8276
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

After putting on the mini high bends, I ran out of cable slack. I think that any higher and you would have to put on longer cables and maybe brake line. Maybe speedo cable. I think these bars are close to the limit of the stock cables.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold

kewlbyme screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 09:12 AM
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #8277
Tom S
Can I ride it?

I'm about 6'1". This worked for me. With the XT225 bar clamps you might have to add some spacers to get the full 1" rise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Got some bar clamps off e-bay, flipped 'em over & use for about a 1" rise. Cheap!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #8278
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I live at 3K, the bike was modified with Pro Circut, pod filter, 16T sproket, and jetting. I'm putting it back to total stock. The air box, muffler, 15T are back on. The PO had messed with the pilot jet screw, I guess trying to do the 3 turn mod and totally screwed it up, it was cross threaded and the head was beyond repair. I tried a LH drill bit to no avail. I ordered a new stock carb(hard to find as there back ordered till 2/8) but I did find and it's on it's way and should have this week end. I got a adjustable pilot jet screw from Jesse at Keintech. I know folks all have different adj on it but any where from 2 to 3 turns seems to be the normal. With the adjustable on I'll be able to fine tune with the bike ideling. I'm looking for suggestions on how to adjust the carb when I first put it on for initial start up. Isn't there a factory adj screw and where should it be? If you could run the basic tuning of the carb to me that's all I'm looking for. Remember it's tottaly stock, the only mod that will be done for now is the 3 turn to get rid of the factory lean. Thanks, Craig
There is no real adjustment other than jet size and pilot screw. And maybe needle shims. At 3000 feet, you might not need 3 full turns, maybe not more than 2. I would start at 2" or 2.5" and see how it goes. The higher you go, the less are there is. Which makes you richer the higher you go. You might be fine with stock jets. If I was lean at 1000', with stock jets, It would be close to the same at 3000'. My practical riding elevation range is from 300' to maybe 3500 feet. Stock should be fine for that range and even more. Mine was popping, hard starting and slow to warm up. All symptoms of lean. Not too lean, but lean. Might have just been restrictive from dirty. I went to 127.5 main and 42.5 pilot with 2 shims under the needle and 3 turns out and I think i am as rich as I can stand. I might have done too much, that will be determined over time. But it is running great right now with no lean symptoms. I am keeping an eye out for too rich symptoms. It is a never ending search for air/fuel balance at a normal riding elevation range vs all the various mechanical conditions of the bike. It really never totally ends but you find the best balance for your situation and ride.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #8279
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
I went to 127.5 main and 42.5 pilot with 2 shims under the needle ...
I am curious to know what guys are using for needle shims & how thick. Seen lots of mention of them but not that info. Using even a thin a washer on some carbs can be too thick.
All Iíve done so far is the 3 turns & took a hole saw to the pipe. Runs fine here at lower the elevations but will probably do some intake mods to open it up more & bigger jets eventually.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #8280
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I am curious to know what guys are using for needle shims & how thick. Seen lots of mention of them but not that info. Using even a thin a washer on some carbs can be too thick.
All Iíve done so far is the 3 turns & took a hole saw to the pipe. Runs fine here at lower the elevations but will probably do some intake mods to open it up more & bigger jets eventually.
One thin electrical washer.