Oddometer: 6,413
Someone looking for help in London....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....94&postcount=1

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #8312
Oceanbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I'm wanting to try a DIY windshield on my 03 xt225. Back in May of 2011 there was a post from someone who made one but the pics are gone. Does anyone have one they could post pics of or a link on building one?
Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #8313
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Finally...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
No image coming through for me, says "currently unavailable".
Sorry 'bout that. In my defense everything looked peachy in preview mode then barfed with unhelpful "Database Error" from AdvRider. I couldn't even see it was making a bunch of dufus posts. So I just nuked those. In AdvRider's defense I now suspect it was barfing on preview not published images on the Flickr side. I'm gonna give it one more try now that I finally think I got a handle on it...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #8314
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Sprocket wear

This is what my 2006 XT225 original sprockets looked like at replacement time (late Aug 2012).

A ratty grin with those teeth. Whadya expect after 24k miles?

Comparison of front sprockets. Not much wear visible. Slightly (consistently) scalloped roots, mostly eroded into leading edges of drive faces from contact stress of rollers. Note design differences in offset and number of thread holes for the retainer.

The new rear sprocket had no "dish" offset. That needed shimming. Not perfectly aligned but close enough. Side play of the front sprocket along shaft splines affords some leniency.

Lesson: aftermarket can save a few bucks. But! Just 'cuz they advertise it "will fit" doesn't mean you won't hafta make 'em fit. Buyer beware... (shrug)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #8315
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
carb problem

We are removing the carburetor for a good cleaning and maybe jet change on a 2006 xt. The hoses are really baked on the nipple fittings so I will be replacing the tank to carburetor hose. A small diameter hose that runs from a small plastic elbow from the left side of the carb near where the fuel hose attaches to the carb broke off with the tiny plastic nipple in the hose, it must have been very brittle as I didn’t realize that I even bumped it at all. The parts diagram in the manual doesn’t list the function of this hose, maybe a vent? I doubt if the plastic elbow fitting is replaceable, it isn’t listed in the parts diagram. Anyone have any ideas what to do with it?
After reading umpteen posts on xt225.com, here and other sites I am less certain about changing jets. It will be ridden from sea level to up to 6,000+ foot altitudes so I want to avoid an over rich mix at higher altitudes. But then Canada xt225 had 130 main, or so it appears. Anyone think changing either or both pilot and main jets is a good idea? I have a 42.5 pilot and 127.5 main that I bought from jetsrus that I could install. We don’t want to make the bike louder so we won’t be doing any snorkel or muffler modifications, maybe a uniflow filter but that probably won’t make much difference (or would it?).
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #8316
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,790
>" am less certain about changing jets. It will be ridden from sea level to up to 6,000+ foot altitudes so I want to avoid an over rich mix at higher altitudes."

I changed XT225 jets, ridden to 5-6K feet (by my wife) with no problem. Ease of starting and improved performance makes the XT225 a far better bike. The wife can keep up with me on the freeway at 65mph... (well, provided there isn't a big hill).

I'll probably get around to trimming the snorkel and installing a different air filter this winter.

Once you replace the carb screws (with hex), changing the jets is pretty darn easy.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #8317
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943
pnw,
I ride between 700' & 5000' with stock jetting. I only did the 3 turns out (actually 2.5 for me) on the pilot jet, which really helped with cold starting.

I'd go with stock jets and see if you have any problems, before worrying about it.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #8318
pnw
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I bought some JIS phillips screwdriver so I'm hoping that prevents the carb bowl screws from stripping but if they are questionable I will replace them with the hex screws. We'll replace the jets, or maybe just the main (because I have them) then post up how they work at higher elevations - testing will have to wait until snow melt late in the spring.

Any ideas about the small plastic elbow part, I hope I'm not the first to have ever broken it off. Maybe I'll try drilling the end of it and fit a different hose, the nipple broke off in the hose flush with the plastic fitting. It must be a vent of some sort.

Thanks again! ADV members are pretty incredible, I should probably look into registering with xt225.com also.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #8319
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
We are removing the carburetor for a good cleaning and maybe jet change on a 2006 xt. The hoses are really baked on the nipple fittings so I will be replacing the tank to carburetor hose. A small diameter hose that runs from a small plastic elbow from the left side of the carb near where the fuel hose attaches to the carb broke off with the tiny plastic nipple in the hose, it must have been very brittle as I didn’t realize that I even bumped it at all. The parts diagram in the manual doesn’t list the function of this hose, maybe a vent? I doubt if the plastic elbow fitting is replaceable, it isn’t listed in the parts diagram. Anyone have any ideas what to do with it?
After reading umpteen posts on xt225.com, here and other sites I am less certain about changing jets. It will be ridden from sea level to up to 6,000+ foot altitudes so I want to avoid an over rich mix at higher altitudes. But then Canada xt225 had 130 main, or so it appears. Anyone think changing either or both pilot and main jets is a good idea? I have a 42.5 pilot and 127.5 main that I bought from jetsrus that I could install. We don’t want to make the bike louder so we won’t be doing any snorkel or muffler modifications, maybe a uniflow filter but that probably won’t make much difference (or would it?).
My service manual shows the 1996 Canadian spec bike as having a 122.5 main, 42.5 pilot, 2 turns out, along with a few other differences between carbs. Maybe it changed on later models.
I personally found that this equates to good all round performance with 2 turns out on the pilot screw, but at altitude above 1500ft, and on very hot day when the bike is at 3/4 throttle or above on paved roads, the bike runs rich (hiccups). I'll be adding a auxillary air opening to the airbox at some point to remedy this. In the bush, it is no problem up to 3500ft, just trying to keep the bike humming at highway speeds is the problem.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #8320
pnw
Adventurer

"1996 Canadian spec bike as having a 122.5 main, 42.5 pilot, 2 turns out, along with a few other differences between carbs. Maybe it changed on later models.
I personally found that this equates to good all round performance with 2 turns out on the pilot screw"

Meaning that you stayed with the 122.5/42.5 but only did the two turns? Maybe the 130 was on a different version rather than Canadian spec, I have read so many threads and spec sheets it is hard to keep them straight. Back to work in the garage, the fragility of some of these plastic parts has me a little concerned because the hoses area really fused on.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #8321
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Thanks for the replies. I bought some JIS phillips screwdriver so I'm hoping that prevents the carb bowl screws from stripping but if they are questionable I will replace them with the hex screws. We'll replace the jets, or maybe just the main (because I have them) then post up how they work at higher elevations - testing will have to wait until snow melt late in the spring.

Any ideas about the small plastic elbow part, I hope I'm not the first to have ever broken it off. Maybe I'll try drilling the end of it and fit a different hose, the nipple broke off in the hose flush with the plastic fitting. It must be a vent of some sort.

Thanks again! ADV members are pretty incredible, I should probably look into registering with xt225.com also.
Hello,

The screws ARE questionable. Replace them with SS allens.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #8322
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
private message

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I do, check the Dualsport Fairing link in my sig line. Led lights are awesome, as is the fairing.
howdy, hey would you mind p.m your website so could take a look at your products. i would really like to upgrade all my lights something brighter and better than what my STOCK BIKE has. i hate riding at night by candle power.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #8323
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
The new rear sprocket had no "dish" offset. That needed shimming. Not perfectly aligned but close enough. Side play of the front sprocket along shaft splines affords some leniency.

Lesson: aftermarket can save a few bucks. But! Just 'cuz they advertise it "will fit" doesn't mean you won't hafta make 'em fit. Buyer beware... (shrug)
You have the wrong rear sprocket. You should return it and get the right one. There are aftermarket sprockets with the correct offset. I use the Parts Unlimited brand, they are inexpensive.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #8324
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
You have the wrong rear sprocket. You should return it and get the right one. There are aftermarket sprockets with the correct offset. I use the Parts Unlimited brand, they are inexpensive.
Thanks. In someone else's shoes I'd leave the bike torn down and return the sprocket. Instead of waiting for another brown truck the bike crossed three state lines. They can't refund lost days of my life!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #8325
paco pena
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have a 2005 XT225 Cdn model. It came with a 120 main jet. I went to a 130. Much better for me. Sea level to about 5000 feet. I did open up the airbox and muffler. Shim under the needle and three turns out on the idle screw. Its the way it should have been from the factory.

paco
paco pena is offline   Reply With Quote