Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #8686
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
Thanks. i love my little 94 xt225. runs great on and off road. sometimes i feel like an oaf on. i've sat on both crf250l and xt250. i do like the height of the crf, not to concerned of the weight diff. im 5'7" 210lbs. i know once the suspension is broken in the crf would seat a little lower w/me on it. i've been reading the crf250 thread and seems as almost everyone there is moding their bikes. so it seems hard to weed through the mods and find good real world info on stock bike. I know the yamaha has a great solid engine, just a great bike all the way around - stock.
I just need to keep reading/asking and test ride, test ride and test ride til i decide to make my choice. i just wish the 2013 xt250 was a little bigger, i don't like the oaf feeling

Everything's taller than the XT's. So,if that's what you want shopping will be easy. If you are riding off-road though the extra weight will be very noticable, and you will feel like an "Oaf" trying to ride the porkers on trails.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #8687
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Alright, ya'll are gonna think I'm crazy but here we go.. ran her with airbox cover off the other day. She ran better, faster, stronger. I haven't rejet anything and as far as I can tell, the fuel mixture screw plug is still in.. Help? Am I just hallucenating or do ya'll think the last owner rejetted?
my most fun and powerfull WOT runs were right before the engine blew up on my 1200 two stroke(high performance jetski engine) because I was running it too lean on the jetting and screw turns. Definitely more hp running on the lean side. And 200-300 degree hotter exhaust temps. And holes in the tops of the pistons.

Richen it up or learn what a 4 corner seizure is, personally.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #8688
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
Thanks. i love my little 94 xt225. runs great on and off road. sometimes i feel like an oaf on. i've sat on both crf250l and xt250. i do like the height of the crf, not to concerned of the weight diff. im 5'7" 210lbs. i know once the suspension is broken in the crf would seat a little lower w/me on it. i've been reading the crf250 thread and seems as almost everyone there is moding their bikes. so it seems hard to weed through the mods and find good real world info on stock bike. I know the yamaha has a great solid engine, just a great bike all the way around - stock.
I just need to keep reading/asking and test ride, test ride and test ride til i decide to make my choice. i just wish the 2013 xt250 was a little bigger, i don't like the oaf feeling
The stock CRF is actually not bad at all. The FI is silky smooth and not notchy at all. It actually pulls very nicely. We have no plans of modding it and plan on keeping our stock. The only thing it might need is a 13t front sprocket to give you better gear ratio's off road. I've actually rode the CRF (I'm 250lbs) and other than being a much more cramped cockpit compared to the WRR, its a very nice bike. Even for me, I was impressed with the stock suspension on it. The suspension handles stuff way better than our XT. If you are 210 and 5'7", you'll fit the CRF fine. Really, the only reason to stay with an XT is if the weight and height of the bike are a concern, but in your case, I don't think they should be.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #8689
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The stock CRF is actually not bad at all. The FI is silky smooth and not notchy at all. It actually pulls very nicely. We have no plans of modding it and plan on keeping our stock. The only thing it might need is a 13t front sprocket to give you better gear ratio's off road. I've actually rode the CRF (I'm 250lbs) and other than being a much more cramped cockpit compared to the WRR, its a very nice bike. Even for me, I was impressed with the stock suspension on it. The suspension handles stuff way better than our XT. If you are 210 and 5'7", you'll fit the CRF fine. Really, the only reason to stay with an XT is if the weight and height of the bike are a concern, but in your case, I don't think they should be.
Thank You. That was great input. The height and weight are not that big of a concern. What is the stock front sprocket, 16T? Some of the posts seem to leave a question, quality of hardware...handlebars, brake lever, etc; a big concern and another concern is the location of the radiator, seems like the first time the laid down, the radiator is damaged if not trashed.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #8690
Toyotadiver
wisconsin

Oddometer: 7
Eh? New guy in Wisconsin (Neenah)

Hello all,
I'm new to dual sport riding and recently purchased a 1998 XT225 with 3,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner took really good care of the bike to it looks perfect. He also did a few upgrades like bigger pegs and K&N air filter. My primary objective for buying this bike was for commuting back and forth to work. However i'm looking forward to getting out and hitting some trails. The next upgrades on my list include new tires that will be mainly for street, the Z1 exhaust mod, and maybe a GPS mount. If anyone is in or around the Fox Valley and knows of a place to ride let me know.

Cheers,
Toyotadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #8691
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotadiver View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to dual sport riding and recently purchased a 1998 XT225 with 3,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner took really good care of the bike to it looks perfect. He also did a few upgrades like bigger pegs and K&N air filter. My primary objective for buying this bike was for commuting back and forth to work. However i'm looking forward to getting out and hitting some trails. The next upgrades on my list include new tires that will be mainly for street, the Z1 exhaust mod, and maybe a GPS mount. If anyone is in or around the Fox Valley and knows of a place to ride let me know.

Cheers,
Welcome!
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #8692
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

So it looks like I'm going to be competing in the Steel Creek North Carolina round of the GNCC race series.

Not trying to actually be competetive or anything, me and a buddy are going just to have fun and get a feeling for it.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding information on if there's any modifications I need to make on the bike before I show up. Their site doesn't have any information reguarding the bikes.

Main thing I'm wondering is if I need to disconect my headlight and horn.
I plan on leaving the turn signals and license plate on, mostly to be funny..
Quote:
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #8693
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
So it looks like I'm going to be competing in the Steel Creek North Carolina round of the GNCC race series...
Good luck, man! You're gonna get used for traction in the corners, but other than that should be lots of fun.

Never ran a GNCC, but in D36 stuff they look for spark arrestors and sound test the exhaust. They don't care if you've got mirrors or plates or safety-wired oil drains like a paved track would. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Be sure and honk the horn when Charlie Mullins flies (literally) past.

edit: oops, no horn

http://www.gnccracing.com/pages/amateur-rules
D. EQUIPMENT
The AMA Equipment Standards List in Chapter 2 of the AMA Racing Rulebook applies. In addition, the following apply:

Riders may not carry gasoline anywhere except inside the machine's fuel tank.
All machines must have silencers.
All machines must have a working kill switch (bikes) or tether cord (ATV).
No horns, bells or other sound devices are permitted on machines.
Machine sound level cannot exceed 98 dB/A.
Machines may be tested by officials any time prior to, during or after the event.
Riders contesting the series should to comply with the number plate color code. (see Class Chart).

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 12:44 PM
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #8694
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Good luck, man! You're gonna get used for traction in the corners, but other than that should be lots of fun.

Never ran a GNCC, but in D36 stuff they look for spark arrestors and sound test the exhaust. They don't care if you've got mirrors or plates or safety-wired oil drains like a paved track would. I'm guessing you'll be fine.
Cool thanks. Figure I'll take the mirrors off and run it like it is.

We plan to just run our pace, and try to finish the whole two hours.
Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #8695
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
^^^^see edit above^^^^^

no horn

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #8696
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
^^^^see edit above^^^^^

no horn
Yeah that sucks. I thought I remembered seing something like that somewhere. I wonder why they do that..
Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #8697
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
Thumb

And don't forget "Chapter 2".

Sounds like a great ride. Wish I could be there.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #8698
Toyotadiver
wisconsin

Oddometer: 7
Android app

I recently downloaded "Moto2go" on my android phone. So far just looking at this app it is AWESOME! I haven't been able to verify the accuracy of the info but I did learn of 3-4 trails in my area that I had no idea existed.
Toyotadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #8699
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Check out cannonshot.net for some nice tracks in Wisconsin & the UP. Also look in "Layin' down tracks" Central on this forum

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #8700
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
The rubber snorkel is extremely restrictive. When that is removed or bypassed the engine is more robust.
Have a 06 XT225 that redlight to redlight smokes my KLX250. So much low end in those XT's. Have to keep the KLX spinning to get anywhere.

edit: XT does have FMF,K&N and re-jet. a lot of torque in that little motor.

Travis28715 screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 04:05 AM
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote