Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #8791
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
anyone have/had a problem with oil consumption? i have a 94 w/ 12058 miles. i don't see any leaks, everything looks clean. any advice?
thanks for the input.

i did some tinkering around today, valves look good, no adjustments needed. I did tip the bike over and pulled the drain plug and checked out the screen....which i forget to clean out the other week when i changed the oil. It was a litter dirty, not knowing on the maintenance of the other owners and how frequent that screen was cleaned.

anyways, towards the end of riding season, i plan on taking it in the shop and have them give her a good once over.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #8792
greasespot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey, all:

What's the difference between our 428 chains and a 520 chain? And will a chain vise for 520 chains work on my 428???

TIA,

Greasespot
greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #8793
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasespot View Post
Hey, all:

What's the difference between our 428 chains and a 520 chain? And will a chain vise for 520 chains work on my 428???

TIA,

Greasespot
428: 1/2" pitch, 0.335"(8.5 mm) roller diameter, 5/16" roller length, 5300 lb typical strength, 2.8 lb/100 links
520: 5/8" pitch, 0.400 roller diameter, 1/4" roller length, 8400 lb typical strength, 3.7 lb/100 links

Do you mean a chaintool for removing rivets? I have a kit that does most chains.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #8794
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasespot View Post
Hey, all:

TIA,

Greasespot
You have to stick with 428. The 428 X-ring chain is great though and lasts a long time.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #8795
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Dual Sport tires

Who's tried Shinko 244? I'm running one on the rear of my 225 right now and am really impressed with the traction on the trails. I'm riding steep loose dirt, mud, and loose rocks and this tire rocks, especially considering it's a d/s and also considering the price is so good. I've tried the IRC & Kenda versions, but I think the Shinko hooks up the best.

I think I've found a tire that I'm going to stick with. May even try one on the 450 too.

Anybody have a tire that they like better for off-road that's decent on the street too?
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #8796
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Who's tried Shinko 244? I'm running one on the rear of my 225 right now and am really impressed with the traction on the trails. I'm riding steep loose dirt, mud, and loose rocks and this tire rocks, especially considering it's a d/s and also considering the price is so good. I've tried the IRC & Kenda versions, but I think the Shinko hooks up the best.

I think I've found a tire that I'm going to stick with. May even try one on the 450 too.

Anybody have a tire that they like better for off-road that's decent on the street too?
i run those, the Golden Boy 244's. I have apprx. 2000 miles on them and love'em. Great on the road and good in everything else, i have NO COMPLAINTS.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #8797
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,678
I was running one on the rear, in the narrow 3 or 3.5 size. It hooked up amazingly well. I even ran it in a couple of hare scrambles and was amazed at the grip.

I ran the narrow size so it would be easy to powerslide on loose gravel since I was working on the flattrack style turns. Right now I am running the shinko 241 trials style tire which is also a great tire for the XT.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #8798
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:

Yup, I love the Golden Boy too! Air it up to 26 for the road, 15 for off road. The front seems to slip a little in the dry sand/ small rocks, but if I had to only have one tire, this would be it.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #8799
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
This is my bike fully loaded ready to camp. I will not be wearing a backpack.

I have gotten the total gear weight down to 23.6lbs(10.7kg).

This setup keeps me pretty comfortable.

With this camp set up, I do not have any camping gear getting near my seating area, and do not have to wear a backpack. The bike also handles a lot better with a smaller load.
Nice - light and tight. Bags are on the list for Mrs. Snow.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #8800
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:

I'm running the Kenda 270, a bit wider than stock, and I always thought they did great. But man did they really suck when I did the hare scramble at Steele Creek. They really didn't like the muddy grass at all.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!

GI_JO_NATHAN screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:01 AM
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #8801
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I'm running the Kenda 270, a bit wider than stock, and I always thought they did great. But man did they really suck when I did the hare scramble at Steele Creek. They really didn't like the muddy grass at all.

I don't think I'd show up to a race with anything less than brand new knobbies. I wouldn't have considered the XT225 to be very competitive. Is there a class for it, or were you racing against dirt bikes? I'd think the XT would be the "Tortoise" at a Hare Scramble. Were there other dual sports? Would you try it again on the XT with knobbies?
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #8802
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Here's the plan to get my 2006 XT225 up and running again:

Stage 1:
New battery
42.5 pilot jet
130 main jet
Idle jet screw 2.5 turns out
Shim jet needle with 1mm washer
Adjust air screw
UNI air filter
Flush fluids
Clean carb
Grease chain

Stage2:
Front sprocket 16t
Wider foot pegs
Hand guards
Rear rack
Trim front fender 4”
Handlebars or spacer

Stage 3: (Not definite, still need to choose tires)
Rear 18x2.15” wheel laced to front hub
130/80x18 rear (26.19”x5.12”)
110/90x18 front (25.80”x4.33”)

I'm leaning towards Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires but am very open to advice in this particular area.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Adelphos screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 12:28 AM
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #8803
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
Nice - light and tight. Bags are on the list for Mrs. Snow.
One of my bags blew out on this trip. I had it so full, I could not zip it shut. I had a small crash, and the seams blew out on one side of the bag.

This is not a knock on the bags at all. Mine have been on the bike fully loaded in a lot of crashes. Mine also have a lot of patches from years of abuse. They don't owe me anything.

I had an extra strap which I wrapped around the bag to keep it together, and didn't have any more issues.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #8804
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I need a hand narrowing down tire choices. I have found three reputable tires that come in the sizes I need for front and rear. From what I've read my preference is in this order:

1.) Bridgestone Battlax BT45
2.) Michelin Pilot Activ
3.) other
4.) Avon Roadrider AM26 ?

It's pretty much down to the Mich vs Stone thing again haha
This will be my first time purchasing new tires for my 06 xt225 and could definitely use the help of some experienced riders. Price is close enough to not really be a factor.

Sizes: 130/80x18 rear & 110/90x18 front
Terrain: Street/commuting mostly, prefer wet performance followed by longevity and finally fuel economy.

Thanks for any insights, this is the last decision I need to make to finish my bikes transformation.

Adelphos screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 11:17 PM
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #8805
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
I don't think I'd show up to a race with anything less than brand new knobbies. I wouldn't have considered the XT225 to be very competitive. Is there a class for it, or were you racing against dirt bikes? I'd think the XT would be the "Tortoise" at a Hare Scramble. Were there other dual sports? Would you try it again on the XT with knobbies?
You Sir are correct on all accounts.
I decided to not spent any extra time or money on this venture. So as to keep it fun...
I did start with the badass dirt bikes, however, I was racing myself and the course.
Didn't see any other dual sports, but there was a kid on some sort of vintage honda, wearing overalls and a fanny pack. Finished the whole thing, it was pretty awesome.
I will for sure be trying it again. Not sure If I will go with full nobbies, or DOT nobbies. Depends on if i pick up an extra set of wheels.
The main failure in all of this however was my fatigue after struggling up some obstacles and many falls. The little XT could have done great with the right rider.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote