Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #91
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,737
I just spent a whole week riding the XT on-road and off-road, and I can't say enough good things about the bike, my ride report is here I'm still going to be posting a detailed report this weekend in that thread and a write up about the bike, so stay tuned.

So far I can't be happier with the performance of the XT, it goes 70PMH on the street (I got it up to 78MPH on a dowhill) and it seems to do off road pretty well too (it's my first off-road bike so unfortunately I can't compare it to any other off road bike).

I bought the bike new end of September 06, and I have 1360 miles on it now

I come from sport-touring so I'm used to spending 12-20 hours on a bike, I've done some long days on this bike (only 8 hours) but it's not a problem for me, I think it's comfortable enough, although fast speed limits on straight roads are even more painful then on my crotch rockets, because I can't get on it and get through it quicker, twisty paved roads are still very enjoyable.

My favorite traveling speed on this bike is 25-45MPH. I'm going to do something with the exhaust, first I'll do the mod they talk about on the XT225.com site, but if I can't get more ponies this way, I might try an after market exhaust. I'm planning on adv-touring this bike, I think it will do the job well with some work.

On this last trip I had to ride paved roads at 15% incline, steep dirt roads and I've even been caught riding in 40-50MPH winds. The bike performed well, I was actually amazed. The only time it wasn't cooperating, was after sitting in the ran for 24 hours, it started but would die immediately if I didn't gas it, so I had to run it for a few minutes and give it gas manually to warm it up, the choke didn't seem to work when the bike was wet. Even after sitting outside at night in 20-30 degrees, it started right up the next morning.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #92
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1
I just spent a whole week riding the XT on-road and off-road, and I can't say enough good things about the bike, my ride report is here I'm still going to be posting a detailed report this weekend in that thread and a write up about the bike, so stay tuned.

So far I can't be happier with the performance of the XT, it goes 70PMH on the street (I got it up to 78MPH on a dowhill) and it seems to do off road pretty well too (it's my first off-road bike so unfortunately I can't compare it to any other off road bike).

I bought the bike new end of September 06, and I have 1360 miles on it now

I come from sport-touring so I'm used to spending 12-20 hours on a bike, I've done some long days on this bike (only 8 hours) but it's not a problem for me, I think it's comfortable enough, although fast speed limits on straight roads are even more painful then on my crotch rockets, because I can't get on it and get through it quicker, twisty paved roads are still very enjoyable.

My favorite traveling speed on this bike is 25-45MPH. I'm going to do something with the exhaust, first I'll do the mod they talk about on the XT225.com site, but if I can't get more ponies this way, I might try an after market exhaust. I'm planning on adv-touring this bike, I think it will do the job well with some work.

On this last trip I had to ride paved roads at 15% incline, steep dirt roads and I've even been caught riding in 40-50MPH winds. The bike performed well, I was actually amazed. The only time it wasn't cooperating, was after sitting in the ran for 24 hours, it started but would die immediately if I didn't gas it, so I had to run it for a few minutes and give it gas manually to warm it up, the choke didn't seem to work when the bike was wet. Even after sitting outside at night in 20-30 degrees, it started right up the next morning.
Yes do the mod but I wouldn't recomend replaceing the pipe unless you like ALOT of noise. So you are roughly at sea level so here's what i would do... Drill the entire baffle out of the exhaust, more than enough extra air flow without being too loud. Get an after market air filter like the UNI. Do not buy K&N filters. Pieces of dookey. Go just one size up on the pilot from a 40 to a 42.5 Makes cold starting much easier and tames some of the leaness when you chop the throttle. Check your main jet. If it is a 130 you may want to leave it there but if it is a 125 then move up to the 130. Makes a huge difference. The book says you should have a 125 but alot of people found 130's in their carbs. Also get yourself a some really small electrical washers and shim the jet needle just a hair. You can experiment going even bigger on the main jet especially if you remove the snorkel as well but I found the bike to be too rich when the throttle was pulled aggressively. If you do replace the pipe though you will have to up the main jet more though as you will run too lean.

Those are pretty much the popular mods that I've read about alot of other people doing to their XT's and it has worked very well. Take into account though that the humidity in your neck of the woods and the big temp drop will have an effect on the results but should be minimal.

And to the other poster... The 05 xt my girlfriend got had a rimlock in the rear wheel stock
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #93
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
First, does anyone that uses an XT off-road go to the trouble to put rim locks on? What about slime in the tires?

Second, what about gearing? I don't plan to take the bike on any multi-lane roads, but will probably be looking at some steep hills. Are slightly smaller counter-shaft sprokets the ticket?Muchas gracias!
Never had a need for Rimlocks on any of the 4 we've had in the past. I think the rear has one stock but its in the storage area so I can't just jump down and look.

As for the gearing, 1st gear would scare a billy goat. I'd venture the vast majority start off in 2nd once the bike is warmed up. Anything lower and you'll never be safe to get near a freeway. As it is, the stock gearing climbs anything and still keeps up with freeway traffic easily enough. A few tweaks could bring it to life and those are well documented but out current '01 is bone stock.. even on the stock somewhat worn-out knobbies that need to be replaced. :)
DragonRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #94
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 352
Thumb

Thanks very much for the help, hombres!

I put a deposit on the XT today. Will pick it up next week when I have my trailer.

Also got approved on xt225.com.
Will post over there as "seeker." Should have used the same name as here but I didn't think about it at the time I registered.

Anyway, thanks again. Will be seeing you in cyberspace either here or there.
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #95
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
You'll enjoy XT225.com. Lot's of friendly people over there, and no JoMomma-like retardation.

Slime is good for flat repair, but myself, I wouldn't use it until then.

Don't worry about rimlocks.

You're getting a great little bike! Many happy rides to ya.

Chip
Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #96
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 352
Thanks chip,

I'm going to start throwing in my 2 pesos worth over at the xt forum as soon as the bike is in the garage, but as long as all us "Rodentus Maximus Adventurous" (Beep! Beep!) species types are here, maybe I'll ask a couple of more Qs:

1) Was looking at the TransAmerica Trail site last night. Couldn't help but wonder if the little XT, with proper jetting, of course, would make it over the high elevation passes on the Colorado portion of the TAT. Has anyone done this? Or are there any high-elevation XT riders here?
In my case, if I were to try this, my weight and my gear's weight on the bike would be almost 250#.
I think the XT is going to be a great little bike, but I wouldn't want to be pushing it uphill at 12,000 ft!

2) With the same idea in mind, has anyone put the nicely waterproof Happy Trails panniers on an XT like the chap in the DR200 thread has done?
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #97
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
You'll enjoy XT225.com. Lot's of friendly people over there, and no JoMomma-like retardation.

Slime is good for flat repair, but myself, I wouldn't use it until then.

Don't worry about rimlocks.

You're getting a great little bike! Many happy rides to ya.

Chip
why do you say that? mine came w/ slime, but i have not given it a second thought?
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #98
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
So I am seriously considering buying an XT225 for Bonnie Abbzug, like, soon. The issue, however, is that she is 5'0 tall and a new rider- she's been learning on a cool little 1978 Yamaha 100 enduro- a fun little bike but she's getting to the point that she wants to go farther, faster. On the enduro she can easily flatfoot and feels really comfortable, but the XT is pretty tall. I know you can slide the forks up, soften the preload, cut down the seat. Is there anything like the lowering links available for KLR's out there to lower the xt even more? She's just not confident enough yet putting only one foot down. We may go look at one this weekend, so any quick replies would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #99
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
So I am seriously considering buying an XT225 for Bonnie Abbzug, like, soon. The issue, however, is that she is 5'0 tall and a new rider- she's been learning on a cool little 1978 Yamaha 100 enduro- a fun little bike but she's getting to the point that she wants to go farther, faster. On the enduro she can easily flatfoot and feels really comfortable, but the XT is pretty tall. I know you can slide the forks up, soften the preload, cut down the seat. Is there anything like the lowering links available for KLR's out there to lower the xt even more? She's just not confident enough yet putting only one foot down. We may go look at one this weekend, so any quick replies would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Don't bother modifying it at all. My girl is 5'1" with really short inseam and she can't flat foot either but the cool thing about the bike is that it is so light she dosn't feel intimidated by being on tippy toes. she can loose a little balance one way or the other and has a large margin to catch herself. One thing that makes the bike nice is that even though a 5'1" girl can get her toes down it still has more ground clearance than my DR650 They just mounted the eng high up in the frame. It's an extremely capable offroad machine for this reason and if she can get used the the height will likely be leaving you in the dust once she gets some experience with it I'm looking into getting an XT350 for myself as though I love the 225 it's a little cramped for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #100
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman777
Don't bother modifying it at all. My girl is 5'1" with really short inseam and she can't flat foot either but the cool thing about the bike is that it is so light she dosn't feel intimidated by being on tippy toes. she can loose a little balance one way or the other and has a large margin to catch herself. One thing that makes the bike nice is that even though a 5'1" girl can get her toes down it still has more ground clearance than my DR650 They just mounted the eng high up in the frame. It's an extremely capable offroad machine for this reason and if she can get used the the height will likely be leaving you in the dust once she gets some experience with it I'm looking into getting an XT350 for myself as though I love the 225 it's a little cramped for me.
I'm sure that after she gets more experience she'll be fine on tip toes, but right now I don't think I could convince her to even try to ride it. Well, maybe she will have to stick to the 30 year old 2 stroke. It really sucks that manufacturers don't make something for the really short people. Except non street legal minibikes. Even my buddy's vespa is too tall. It's really sad because she is more enthusiastic about riding than anyone I've seen...

I'm tellin' ya, she's short. Here's my bike next to hers-

And her next to her bike-

Hayduke screwed with this post 01-11-2007 at 09:04 AM
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #101
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,737
hayduke, you can either modify the seat or get a aftermarket seat, many have them, you can check on the xt225.com site. I think the seat can be cut by down two inches easily and be comfortable enough.

There really isn’t anything else out there I looked, the XT225 is already the lowest bike in that category. In time she’ll get used to not flat footing it, until then if the seat isn’t enough maybe she can get some boots with a thicker sole.

I wear the Frey Daytona lady star boots to ride my street bikes because I’m 5’5”. With the boots and insoles I'm 5'6.5" and I have shaved/modifyed the seats on my street bikes, one is lowered and I’m still on the balls of my feet. I’m almost flatfooting the XT with my regular off road boots and I think once the suspension gets broken in I’ll probably flat foot the bike.

Good luck and I hope she gets the XT

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR

VIVID1 screwed with this post 01-11-2007 at 09:49 AM
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #102
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Thanks Vivid! We may be looking at one belonging to a member here- Adventure Girl Bonnie Abbzug is still a very new rider, and her little bike has been great- it's really low and light. But 45mph top speed and 1 gallon tank limits it's usefulness. Problem is, she has gotten used to flatfooting and now thinks the XT is really tall. She even sat on a Honda Rebel, and the first thing out of her mouth was "this things a PIG!"

We're going to check out a friends XT- let her sit on it, etc. and see how it feels and if lowering it would be enough.

Keep up the dirt riding and the reports!

Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #103
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Yes I agree with vivid. If you absolutely have to get the bike lower then lower the seat and get those boots. My girl has them as well. The XT is such a capable offroad bike because of it's ground clearance. I've taken Correnes XT with avon distanzias aired up to street pressure on trails that tests my heavily modded low pressure knobbied DR to the limits and not even flinched. I would definitely shy away from the lowering link option.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #104
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

This is the only time my girlfriend has ever been able to flatfoot her XT
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #105
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Another +1 to the Daytona Ladystar boots. I love mine. I was a little nervous about wearing them offroading at first, but they're actually pretty comfortable.