Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #106
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,380
We checked out our friends XT this morning, and Bonnie Abbzug thinks it will work great! It looks like, if we cut the seat down about 2inches, she'll be able to put the balls of both feet down. Of course, that means we'll have to find an extra "tall" seat for when I want to ride it...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #107
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
My wife loves hers. After sorting out some minor jetting issues it runs great and gets 75 to 92 mpg.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #108
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Andersen
My wife loves hers. After sorting out some minor jetting issues it runs great and gets 75 to 92 mpg.
Though I've got the bike running great I'm still having some minor issues with that carb namely being that I cannot find a fuel line that fits this thing. The outlet on the petcock is nearly half the diameter of the inlet on the carb and after removing the deteriorated original line everything I've tried leaks. Works great for about a week then gets stiff and starts leaking or sucking air causing vapor lock. I've been working on carbed bikes for years and though I've had my frustrating moments I've never had a situation this pesky before. I've repaired at least 5 different "little" issues with this setup and always find another.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing inherently wrong with this bike or it's intake configuration. Just a bike that was badly abused for it's first 500 miles then left to sit for over a year with gas and all kinds of other debris in it. The fact that under these circumstances I managed to get it running and ride 75 miles home on it from the PO's garage ought to tell you something about how stout this bike is.

I suppose I'll have to go and pay ten bucks for 5" of stock fuel line from yami.

Although I do have a nearly new carb from a KLX300 laying around Wonder how that might work
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #109
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,380
Woohoo! Bonnie Abbzug got an XT (well, we still have to pick it up). It's this one-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179515

Thanks HIgh Water and Adventure Girl!!!!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #110
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
We brought her home today!!!

It's definately a little tall, but Duke has plans to fix that ! Now, I just need the snow to go away so I can ride her!!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #111
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Me thinks you'll be very pleased bonnie After tooling around on my girls XT I've decided I want one too.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #112
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Good luck with your new bike Bonnie! I hope you enjoy yours as much as my wife does.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #113
JoeXT225
Wannabe Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 31
Hello Everyone!

I just found this site and thread and recognize some of you from the XT225.com BBS. Vivid1, Bluepoof, Entropysedge, Chip and others. I read the entire thread and I'm glad I found this place . Anna, that was a great ride report. I loved the Texas scenery.

I've got a 2004 XT225 with about 5,000 (mostly street) miles on it. Like all of you here, I'm a huge fan of this bike. I'd love to off road it, but have limited opportunities to do so. The Greater Boston area is pretty densely packed and off road use is heavilly restricted in this area.
I'm looking forward to future posts and tapping into the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you have with your XT225s.

Best regards to all.

JoeXT225
JoeXT225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #114
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman777
I'm wondering how the design will work out as the biggest problem I see is the petcock in relation to the carb intake. They would have to bulk up the top end of the tank as they couldn't simply make it hang lower without compromising the gravity feed. I wonder how it will look.
All of my oversized tanks have the petcock sitting 1-2" below the carb intake. It may be a problem when you're running on fumes but I've never had trouble. It's a vacuum feed
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #115
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
Lame thread: lets go guys

Hey, I have an excuse, it's winter here in Colorado. This is almost as lame as xt225. Lets put some info up here. I am spending more time at MajestyUSA than here.
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #116
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingchestpain

why do you say that? mine came w/ slime, but i have not given it a second thought?
Just got back to the thread..
Slime may work well pre-emptively in a tube. I just keep mine in the top bag because of worries about tire balance problems.. I figger the stuff might harden prematurely in the tube. I'm probably wrong on this..

Chip
P.S. Hi to all the gang from XT225.com!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #117
jkowski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question first dual purpose

hey everyone,
im looking for a dual purpose bike, and had a couple questions maybe you can answer for me. first i should probably tell you about my riding capabilities. ive been really into trail riding and offroad but now want to also ride on street. id like a bike that handles well, especially under high speeds, that i can kick ass on offroad. is this the bike for me? also ive been doing a lot of research on different bikes and on another site someone said that he/she had quite a bit of issues w/ the carb. has anyone else?

also are these major probablems or not?-http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/#weakness

thanks
jkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #118
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,897
I think for riding fast offroad, a KLX250S might be the better choice of the little Japanese dual-sports. Or a DRZ400. I myself prefer an XT225 or a DR200, but I'm just plonking along slow out exploring, not riding fast.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #119
jkowski
n00b

actually i just meant fast on road, id like something fast on road w/ good handling, then be able to take it offroad and it have some balls, also i like just taking day trips quite a bit, just trails out in the woods, nothing hard just a great view, is that still the klx250s? whats the main differences between the riding styles/features of the two?

thanks klay as well as anyone else who puts in their 2 cents, really appreciate it
Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #120
jkowski
n00b

also it will most likely be used street mainly then offroad, guess im looking for something where the on/offroad features dont mess w/ each other, im so fricken lost