User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #121
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
jkowski

In my opinion it sounds like you should look for another bike. Although I love my XT , it is no speed demon. I like to think of the XT as a Willys jeep; nearly unstoppable and can go just about anywhere, but has it's limitations, speed being the primary limitation.

I doubt that there is a bike that will fit your desires, fast on road and killer off-road. Determine your road/off-road mix and what compromises you will accept. My suggestions (speed being a major consideration), from mostly street/speed to dirt worthyness would be DL650, KLR650, DR650, DRZ400. Although the 225 and 250 can run 70 mph, most will agree that the bikes are not terribly happy about it.

That being said, I really like how I must take it a little slower on the XT. Just read about Nutzky's get-off at 70 mph. He did not enjoy it.

If your off road will not be much more than graded roads and forest roads, look into the DL650.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #122
jkowski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
ok heres a list of things i'd like:(any are able to be compromised if needed)
-handling(least i'd like to compromise)
-speed(nothing major or anything,just need to be able to get around and there's some roads around here that have some speed limits that are pretty high) about 45-65 id need for some of the roads
-offroad(mainly just trails but some are easy riding, and others quite difficult)

as long as it runs and handles well at a decent speed(i dont need A LOT of speed) on road, the rest id like to be a "willys jeep"

also im 18, new to street riding, so im not sure how i'd do w/ a seat thats pretty high, im about 6-6'1 probably

jkowski screwed with this post 02-19-2007 at 08:54 PM
jkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #123
HokieDNA01
Dirty Sport Girl!

Oddometer: 183
Just got my first Dirt/DS bike the other night!!! I'm new to the forums and just wanted to say Hi to all the fellow XT riders! Seems to be the perfect bike for what I want to do. Now I just need to find some good trails to ride.
Attached Images

HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #124
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkowski
also it will most likely be used street mainly then offroad, guess im looking for something where the on/offroad features dont mess w/ each other, im so fricken lost
you might like the DRZ 400 SM. look it up and sniff around. you can always put a knobby on the front [tkc or equivalent].
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #125
jkowski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
yeah im stuck between either the xt225, klx250s and the drz400. think the drz would be too big but i could always grow into it i suppose. not sure yet
jkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #126
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01
Just got my first Dirt/DS bike the other night!!! I'm new to the forums and just wanted to say Hi to all the fellow XT riders! Seems to be the perfect bike for what I want to do. Now I just need to find some good trails to ride.
Welcome to the growing crowd! Enjoy your new ride.
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #127
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Nice ride!! Looks like another '01? Sort of like this one? :)

I do need to get some new tires for the XT. 3,800 on the originals and they are done, but that's the way we got it in December. new tires, new battery, almost no marks on the bike, and a price I couldn't beat!

Any tire suggestions from the group in the 50/50 dirt/street range?
Attached Images

DragonRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #128
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider1

I do need to get some new tires for the XT. 3,800 on the originals and they are done, but that's the way we got it in December. new tires, new battery, almost no marks on the bike, and a price I couldn't beat!

Those Kenda K270's seem really good for the money...I got a pair last fall for $84 for both of them. People say they last pretty good, too.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #129
HokieDNA01
Dirty Sport Girl!

Oddometer: 183
Quote:

Thanks! It's an '00 model. Took it out for its first ride yesterday. Got stuck on a muddy hill. I definatly need to learn the technique for picking the bike up. I was on my butt quite a bit. VERY different from street riding and I have some bad habits to break (using the front brake and thinking "i can't ride over/through that") Can't wait to get more practice though!!

By the way LOVE your other bike in that pic. My boyfriend has a 5th gen VFR. One of my favorite bikes!

HokieDNA01 screwed with this post 02-26-2007 at 03:50 PM
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #130
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,405
Nice! Looks like my wife's bike (Bonnie Abbzug here)

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #131
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Quote:
Thank! It's an '00 model. Took it out for its first ride yesterday. Got stuck on a muddy hill. I definatly need to learn the technique for picking the bike up. I was on my butt quite a bit. VERY different from street riding and I have some bad habits to break (using the frong brake and thinking "i can't ride over/through that") Can't wait to get more practice though!!
A few differences. Going up just stand on the pegs and rock your weight back and forth to keep traction without the front end getting too light and wanting to come up. As for picking the bike up, just put your back to the handlebar/seat, bend down with your legs, grab them and walk them back up using your legs. It takes very little effort with such a light bike and that way you wont' do anything that can stress your back or your arms. :)

The bike *WILL* go over most anything and everything if you give it half a chance. Very easy to play with and will let you know the limits. Yes, the front brake is more responsive (by far) than the rear and yes the front brake on the dirt isn't nearly as friendly when grabbed hard as it is on the street, but it's still needed!

Practice? Practice is called FUN in this case. All the practicing and extra smiles come naturally. :)

Quote:
By the way LOVE your other bike in that pick. My boyfriend has a 5th gen VFR. One of my favorite bikes!
Thanks, I love my '98. That one is presently mine. I sold an R6 to get the SV-650 for the wife and she's been blasting all around on that. This X-mas I came across the XT and that was her X-mas present. We both love it, but I need to replace my DR-400s (stolen...argh) so we can go trail running. I *love* the XT's and this is the 4th I've bought, usually for roomates, etc. to ride. In this particular case, I'd look for another XT for myself but my legs are just long enough that they cramp if I ride it for more than an hour or so or on technical trails.

XT's are one of the best-kept bang for the bucks out there. Too bad Yamaha hasn't figured out there is a solid value in the dualsport segment. Suzuki sure has and KTM paid attention (07 EX-C's are street legal in the US now). It's high time they did something to regain their competitive edge. :)
Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #132
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Those Kenda K270's seem really good for the money...I got a pair last fall for $84 for both of them. People say they last pretty good, too.
I think that's what I threw on the old '99 KLR650 that I had and I liked them even in the Fla sand. Where did you pick them up and who are the better online retailers for that sort of thing these days?

I don't think they have the 2.75 size's in the Kenda's so what would be the better sizes to go with? 90/90/21 or??
Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #133
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
I think that's what I threw on the old '99 KLR650 that I had and I liked them even in the Fla sand. Where did you pick them up and who are the better online retailers for that sort of thing these days?

I don't think they have the 2.75 size's in the Kenda's so what would be the better sizes to go with? 90/90/21 or??
I'm running a 90/90-21 Dunlop D606 on my XT. It floats better on the sand and gets good grip. I'm not sure if the Kenda 270 come in a 90/90, maybe a 3.00 or something, but I'd certainly go wider than the stock 2.75.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #134
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,065
Quote:

I just ordered a set from this place:

http://www.onoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...AL-SPORT-TIRES

Very inexpensive.

Here's a chart for size conversion:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tires.html

I think they have something that will fit.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #135
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Thanks for all the help guys. :) I simply can't wait to pick up a 2nd Dualsport so the wife can see some of the places I was talking about. The Wrangler gets us to a lot, but the dualsports are faster, more fun, and have more accessable area's.

Near as I can tell the Kenda's from above would be the 3" x 21" (going a size larger) and the 4.10 x 18" rear? If so it's about $87 which isn't bad at all for two tires. I hope this set-up wouldn't rub. Just wish it wasn't $21 to ship 'em! :)

DragonRider1 screwed with this post 02-26-2007 at 09:05 PM