Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2003, 04:30 AM   #31
simonm
Stealth Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Re: Re: rockster

Quote:
Said Ostrich:
Did the system give it a really good growl?
yes indeed sir

S
Old 05-21-2003, 05:50 AM   #32
crackerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Said pierce:
There's more to the rockster than just the paintjob.

The rockster has the front end geometry of the S, along with the fatty back wheel. It comes with Sportec M1 sticky-rubbers. Also, it has a riding position that is much closer to the S than the R (its quite tucked and forward). The pegs are higher than on my RS, thats for sure.

In many respects its more of a naked S-bike than a dressed up R.
I don't agree with that. From the S parts bin it has the lighter telelever up front and the carbon front fender, and the phat rear wheel. It doesn't have the S engine, exhaust, fairing, etc...

From the GS parts bin it has the headlight assembly and the paralever.

I believe the bars are new.

The rest of the bike is all Roadster. For much less money you could take a roadster and put a GS paralever on it (and even an S front fender if you want) and have a bike that is functionally as good or better. All the fat back wheel does on a bike with ~85 hp is slow down the steering. The bars make it less comfortable (for many people anyway) for a negligible at best performance benefit

IMO it is not worth the premium over the standard Roadster for what is primarily a (dubious) styling exercise.
crackerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:09 AM   #33
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Said knary:
The black is paint. Much of the bright stuff is a bunch of stickers - tank and tail pieces, not the oil coolers.
you sure its stickers? I sorta picked at a corner with my nail, it felt like stenciled paint rather than a sticker.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #34
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Said crackerguy:
The rest of the bike is all Roadster. For much less money you could take a roadster and put a GS paralever on it (and even an S front fender if you want) and have a bike that is functionally as good or better. All the fat back wheel does on a bike with ~85 hp is slow down the steering. The bars make it less comfortable (for many people anyway) for a negligible at best performance benefit

IMO it is not worth the premium over the standard Roadster for what is primarily a (dubious) styling exercise.
The Rockster sells for 13 grand with ABS and the Roadster sells for 12,190 with ABS. How are you going to add those components for the price? I also think it has the S paralever.

The big back tire will slow down the steering, but it is going to give you more grip in the corners as well. Not to mention it looks really cool.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..

Ostrich screwed with this post 05-21-2003 at 08:47 AM
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #35
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Said Ostrich:
The Rockster sells for 13 grand with ABS...
Wow! $2200 extra for all that Integral stuff. Another 21% on top of the cost of the entire motorcycle! Unbelievable. So I decided to gander at other '04 models shown at BMW's website to offer ABS as an option...

R1150R, also $2200 to add ABS.
BoxerCup Prep, $1700 to add ABS.
BoxerCup Replika, $680 to add ABS.

Huh? Only $680 to add ABS to an '04 BoxerCup Replika? Hmmm, maybe I've swerved into the answer to a question I posed to a sales friend at my local shop a while back. See, they know I'm in love with the Replika. They also know that I like to decide which brake comes on at what time, with a direct connection as to how hard it's applied. But I do like plain old ABS, so when I heard that the Replika was available with ABS for '04, first thing I wanted to know was if it only came bundled with Integral angst. It was too early to tell at the time, but I secretly hoped that it did - to relieve me of the desire to buy another motorcycle. I tell ya, if it turns out that Replicas w/ABS come with the wonderful old school brakes, I'm gonna be hurtin' for certain. Them things are beyond tasty...

Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #36
crackerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Said Ostrich:
The Rockster sells for 13 grand with ABS and the Roadster sells for 12,190 with ABS. How are you going to add those components for the price? I also think it has the S paralever.

The big back tire will slow down the steering, but it is going to give you more grip in the corners as well. Not to mention it looks really cool.
I was thinking in terms of the non-ABS roadster, which is the best deal BMW offers IMO. Once you put ABS on the R it becomes less of a deal compared to the BMW line up.

You are right, when you compare the Rockster to the ABS bike (which is only fair since the Rockster comes w/ ABS), the rockster does seem fairly priced.

I still think the fat tire is for pose points only, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #37
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

Quote:
Said crackerguy:
I was thinking in terms of the non-ABS roadster, which is the best deal BMW offers IMO. Once you put ABS on the R it becomes less of a deal compared to the BMW line up.
True, but I like the ABS feature. Personal preference I guess.

Quote:
I still think the fat tire is for pose points only, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Wait a minute, Are you calling me :ymca

Old 05-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #38
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
No

Quote:
Said Ostrich:
True, but I like the ABS feature. Personal preference I guess.

Wait a minute, Are you calling me :ymca
He is calling you a poser!

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #39
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

Quote:
Said Arch:

Huh? Only $680 to add ABS to an '04 BoxerCup Replika? Hmmm, maybe I've swerved into the answer to a question I posed to a sales friend at my local shop a while back. See, they know I'm in love with the Replika. They also know that I like to decide which brake comes on at what time, with a direct connection as to how hard it's applied. But I do like plain old ABS, so when I heard that the Replika was available with ABS for '04, first thing I wanted to know was if it only came bundled with Integral angst. It was too early to tell at the time, but I secretly hoped that it did - to relieve me of the desire to buy another motorcycle. I tell ya, if it turns out that Replicas w/ABS come with the wonderful old school brakes, I'm gonna be hurtin' for certain. Them things are beyond tasty...
So when you adding the new steer to your stable?

Those are great looking bikes, and they supposedly handle well. I hope to take one out for a test run down the road. It seems when I have the time they do not have one in the showroom, and then when I am just stopping by quick they have one.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #40
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

Re: No

Quote:
Said K12RSSteve:
Thanks for the clarification. Is that better or worse than :ymca?

Old 05-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #41
crackerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Re: No

Quote:
Said K12RSSteve:
NO NO nothing so terrible as that (not that there is anything worng with it).

Everyone has things that they accumulate poser points for. Just because you get a few poser points on your records does not mean you are well and truly a poser.

Plus, one mans poser point is another mans must have accessory
Old 05-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #42
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Re: Re: No

Quote:
Said Ostrich:
Thanks for the clarification. Is that better or worse than :ymca?
We are all posers, if we were not then we would not be riding motorcycles at all.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #43
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

So I've racked up some poser miles. I was worried that I racked up some Nancy Boy Miles. That would be bad.

Anyway, back to the Rockster.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #44
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Re: Re: No

Quote:
Said K12RSSteve:
We are all posers, if we were not then we would not be riding motorcycles at all.
wtf, over?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #45
Ostrich OP
Jaded and Happy

Quote:
Said Arch:
Wow! $2200 extra for all that Integral stuff. Another 21% on top of the cost of the entire motorcycle! Unbelievable. So I decided to gander at other '04 models shown at BMW's website to offer ABS as an option...

Actually, I would like to ride the Rockster back to back with the R11S. The R11S is a gorgeous bike, and I think it is one of the best looking bikes out there today.