Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
Convert Garmin Routes to Tracks/Tracks to Routes

Anyone know if its possible to convert Garmin Follow Road Routes (mapped out on Mapsource City Nav or Metroguide) into TRACKS? Reason being I watn to do this, is The GPS unit will always recaculat the route when loaded, so it doesnt look same as it does on Mapsource. You can do offroad trails on mapsource in your creation process if you turn off follow roads when u go to trails part, but when loaded in the 60CSX it goes crazy on this.

Another advantage of this, would be to use it as a track, I can then load any mapset (topo,roads&rec,etc) and follow the track so I can have the topo data on screen to look for dual sport oportunites,etc.

Plus another advantage of this I want to do, is Create a file with all the tracks of all the trails I have found in my county, and area (just the trails and data not shown on my garmin map) and then load it as an overlay for my map whenever I start a ride. Thus my trails will show on the map. Also would like ot be able to use a variety of colors on tracks, possibly one color for trail, one for gravel, one for rough pavment,etc..

I'm sorta new to GPS, just into it a couple of months, anyone know if this is possible?
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
Anyone know if its possible to convert Garmin Follow Road Routes (mapped out on Mapsource City Nav or Metroguide) into TRACKS? Reason being I watn to do this, is The GPS unit will always recaculat the route when loaded, so it doesnt look same as it does on Mapsource.
If you add enough "via" point into the route in mapsource, you can pretty much get the same route. I've had very good luck adding via points just after critical junctions that will keep my on the right path when routing on the GPS.

Also mapsourse will allow you to draw tracks, so you could trace the routes...

Quote:
Another advantage of this, would be to use it as a track, I can then load any mapset (topo,roads&rec,etc) and follow the track so I can have the topo data on screen to look for dual sport oportunites,etc.
I have yet to see much that is on Topo, or roads and rec that isn't on city select, but if you have to do it, you can create the route in the GPS using the city select maps, then once the route is created, you can change over to topo maps etc, and the route will still show up on your maps, at least until it tries to recalc if you go off route.

Quote:
Plus another advantage of this I want to do, is Create a file with all the tracks of all the trails I have found in my county, and area (just the trails and data not shown on my garmin map) and then load it as an overlay for my map whenever I start a ride. Thus my trails will show on the map. Also would like ot be able to use a variety of colors on tracks, possibly one color for trail, one for gravel, one for rough pavment,etc..

I believe this is possible on the unit, though I don't think you can color different tracks different colors on the unit. But You can download all your tracks onto your unit no problem, again up to the unit limit.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I believe this is possible on the unit, though I don't think you can color different tracks different colors on the unit. But You can download all your tracks onto your unit no problem, again up to the unit limit.
You can definitely change the track color in Mapsource and I believe it will display on the unit. Not sure if you can color different parts of a single track different colors though.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
If you add enough "via" point into the route in mapsource, you can pretty much get the same route. I've had very good luck adding via points just after critical junctions that will keep my on the right path when routing on the GPS. Also mapsourse will allow you to draw tracks, so you could trace the routes...
I saw the track draw function but it is freehand from what I can tell, no way to make it follow roads? Also you can add more points yes, but when it comes to a road and offroad section (non mapped), it will not display right. Tho it will display right on mapsource.

Quote:
I have yet to see much that is on Topo, or roads and rec that isn't on city select, but if you have to do it, you can create the route in the GPS using the city select maps, then once the route is created, you can change over to topo maps etc, and the route will still show up on your maps, at least until it tries to recalc if you go off route.
Mine won't. It will show on the computer at home on mapsource, but I cant get it to do it on the unit. Theres alot more on topo that isn't in city select. Rivers,Lakes, Mountains,Balds,Ridges,etc.
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Mine won't. It will show on the computer at home on mapsource, but I cant get it to do it on the unit. Theres alot more on topo that isn't in city select. Rivers,Lakes, Mountains,Balds,Ridges,etc.

What you have to do is have both cityselect/citynavigator, and topo loaded on the unit. Then switch on the city navigator maps, select your route, calculate your route, then turn off the city navigator maps so that the topo maps show. Then the squiggly road following route will still show on the map screen, but you will be able to see the topo features.

I will often just switch back and forth between the two map sets on the unit. I am usually moving to fast to actually be paying attention to the more detail that is available on the topo stuff, so I run city select, then when I stop and want to have a look around, I turn off the city select mapset, and turn on the topo mapset, then I can look at peaks, trails, rivers, creeks and such.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
I saw the track draw function but it is freehand from what I can tell, no way to make it follow roads? Also you can add more points yes, but when it comes to a road and offroad section (non mapped), it will not display right. Tho it will display right on mapsource.

I don't have any experience with riding roads that arent on my city select mapsets. Just about anything that I want to put two wheels on, ends up being on city select.. Of courst I don't ride single track/trails...

Maybe you will need to create several routes, one for the road portions of your ride, and then the as the crow flies stuff for off roads. I'm sure there's some here who does that sort of stuff.. Specially desert riding and such..

Old 11-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
You can definitely change the track color in Mapsource and I believe it will display on the unit. Not sure if you can color different parts of a single track different colors though.

You are right.. I only ever change the color of the active track, but just now I checked my 76c and every saved track can have a different color, and the track color transfers from mapsource. Don't think you can change the color of segments of a track though. The color seems to be for the whole track, start to finish..

Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
ThunderOne
Non-n00b

Oddometer: 11
Very Simple to Convert!

Quote:
Anyone know if its possible to convert Garmin Follow Road Routes (mapped out on Mapsource City Nav or Metroguide) into TRACKS?
I'm sorta new to GPS, just into it a couple of months, anyone know if this is possible?
YES its very easy search google for this little free program (WinGDB11.zip) then goto this URL for very simple instructions!

h**p://www.elsinga.net/206.html
Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 786
Mapsource-converting a route to a track

I am sure this has been asked, so don't be too angry with me. I searched and could not find the answer to my question.

I want to draw a route in mapsource using mostly fire service roads that are on City Navigator map. The thing is, I want to save them to my gps as a track, so that I can have them visible on the map but not necessarily have my gps trying to route me anywhere.

I could just manually connect all the dots using the track draw function, but that would take forever. So, it is much faster to have the waypoints on the roads I want to hit, and then have it create a route.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a way to convert a route into a track. Lots of information on how to go from a track to a route, but I don't want to do that.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
routes to tracks

http://www.sackman.info/

Convert pretty much anything to pretty much anything else. I use it all the time. It's great.

Drew
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjb7
http://www.sackman.info/

Convert pretty much anything to pretty much anything else. I use it all the time. It's great.

Drew
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
I want to draw a route in mapsource using mostly fire service roads that are on City Navigator map. The thing is, I want to save them to my gps as a track, so that I can have them visible on the map but not necessarily have my gps Am I missing something?.
Yes just use Track Draw tool and draw the Track in the first place. Set color, and download.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 786
Well, I thought about doing that, but when I use the track draw tool to draw a track that will be hundreds of miles long, it would take me days. For the roads to show up in mapsource (the forest logging roads) I have to be zoomed in to 1.5 mile or less. So, basically, using the track draw tool would take forever.

That is why I wanted to put waypoints at pertinent places, and then use the routing tool to connect the waypoints. Then, convert the route to a track. Way less time than by drawing the entire trip out one mile at a time, unless I am missing something big. I have no idea how to use Mapsource (obviously) so that is entirely possible.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,731
gpsbabel.

Open the track in mapsource, and save it as a standard garmin file (forget the extension). Then run it through gpsbabel to convert track to route.
Conversion works both ways.

I make all my routes using topo8 (Delorme). I then export it as a GPX and go through this processes with mapsource so I can hand both the route and track to Garmin users.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
for the Mac

For Mac guys that like superior machines and don't like corrupted registry files and the blue screen of death, try this link for routes to track conversion; I've done it and it works perfectly. What I haven't figured out yet is how to save and display POI info. http://www.javawa.nl/macgpx_en.html
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote