User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
JesseeS OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1981 xl250

Hey folks. Just picked up a bike recently for next to nothing. It is clearly a hybrid. It seems to be an '81 XL250 motor inside of an '82 XR250 roller. Previous owner said he couldn't get it to start. I set it at top dead center and adjusted the timing (off about a tooth) and adjusted the valves. Nothing was wired, so that is where I am at. NOW, I basically have a mess that I can't figure out. I've looked at the wiring diagram and 90% of that stuff is gone. I would like to add a tail light and headlight later, but for now I would just let to get the engine running. Out of the LH cover I have a Black and Royal Blue wire. Out of the RH cover, I have a Green and Royal Blue wire. I would assume out of the regulator there was a harness but no longer, just cut wires. They are Green, Black/White tracer, Black/Red tracer, Blue/Yellow tracer, a ground to the ignition coil that seems spliced with the Green wire coming out of regulator, then a solid Black wire going to the ignition coil. Hopefully you can now see what I'm trying to deal with. Does anybody have any insight on how to wire this up just to get the motor running? Thank you for any help.
JesseeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
The ignition system is fairly simple on these bikes. The XL and XR are pretty much the same with only the connectors possibly different between them. Here's a few pics.
The third pic is the CDI. Judging from your post, this must be missing?

Green is typically ground on the old Hondas.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
JesseeS OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
The ignition system is fairly simple on these bikes. The XL and XR are pretty much the same with only the connectors possibly different between them. Here's a few pics.
The third pic is the CDI. Judging from your post, this must be missing?

Green is typically ground on the old Hondas.

Thank you for this info. I made some progress on the wiring because of this, but I do have a question. On the a.c generator, I have a black wire and blue. On the diagram I was looking at black and red went to black and red. I connected black to my black and red as it was closest, and the blue connects to head and taillights to give power. Since I don't have any right now, I left it capped off. It does show the generator grounded in both photos. Is there supposed to be another wire somewhere, or is it grounded by another means.
JesseeS is offline   Reply With Quote