User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
afdfirefighter OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Best tire 50/50% On/Off Road - DRZ400s - Newer Rider

I know what you are thinking, ANOTHER tire thread... well hear me out. I am a newer rider to the dual sports. Picked up an 08 DRZ-400s with 3,600 miles. Love the bike! I ride 50/50 on/off road. I have a lot of sub divisions being built around me so I like to cruise them all and see whats going on with them. Doing so, I hit a lot of loose gravel, dirt, some mud, larger rock drives etc. I am looking for the best tire for me, a newer rider that isn't to the point of leaning a bike like you guys that have rode forever. So I want something that will give me the most grip on the road and the most grab off the road (I know the impossible tire). But what would you guys suggest? I believe I still have the stock tire on it which I hear is terrible. Thank you in advance. Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  172.5 KB
afdfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,704
Why not just do a search on 50/50 tires?

As for all the bull that goes on in tire threads I will choose to stay out of another. The popular brands are either expensive or are cheap, cheap being the main player. I went with what worked for me and stuck with it. If you want to know what I've run for about 14 years now on a KLX650 and now on a KLX250 for on/off road in the area of Ohio and recenty in sand in Michigan feel free to PM me. No mystery, just don't see the value in posting.

I wish you happy hunting.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,561
Kenda K270 is an excellent 50/50 tire....relatively cheap too.

http://www.kendatire.com/en/motorcyc...70-dual-sport/
Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Look at the Bridgestone TW302.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Shinko 244

Inexpensive and has been a great tire for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Rockaway
Gregtiger800

Oddometer: 74
The above Shinko and Kenda are both good, though I have had good success with Dunlop 606 aired down to 20 ish lbs with a single rim lock. Good traction off road. Very durable tire. Long lasting. I ride an 07 E model and love it. Hope this helps.
Rockaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Epy
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 144
I share the OP's pain, there are way too many tire threads and conflicting opinions, basically have to try them out yourself.

+1 for the TW302, it works so much better than the stock IRC GP22 on my CRF250L

I've read in many places that the Kenda K270 can feel squirmy on pavement due to the longer knobs.

Shinko 244's seem to offer better stability than the K270's, especially with beefier side knobs. Unfortunately, it seems like the Shinko's have inferior rubber and are susceptible to chunking on pavement or blowing out when hitting rocks.

The D606 seems to be the most popular by far.

Check out Michelin T63's as well.
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
afdfirefighter OP
n00b

Had a PM with some very good points on a Duro tire. Tons of grab on pavement and still a knobby-like feel off road with the cuts in the tire. Obviously there is nothing that is a 100/100% tire and the riding I do off road is slow pace cruising so to have the comfort on the pavement I may be looking for more grab on pavement. Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-HF904-Med.../dp/B004JAVHDQ
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
get the shinko 244s and stop thinking about it, amazon even has them for 1/2 the price of that duro tire. great all around tire and not to mention economical = no brainer

http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-244-Dua...rds=shinko+244

i ride 75% street 25% off road and these have been the best tires i found so far. grip excellent on road (feel like a street tire - very confidence inspiring) and more than adequate off road. they aren't a full knobby so dont ask them to grip very well in deep mud or sand but i have to say they excel on gravel, dirt and grass
Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,588
I think the reports of chunking with the 244s generally come from people running heavy ADV bikes. I've been running 244s on my DR350, which is about the same weight as the DRZ. I've had no chunking issues whatsoever and the treadwear has been good. I've got a bit over 3,000 miles on the current set and the rear still has just about 1/2 tread remaining. I expect to get about 5K out of the rear and will put another 244 on when it's worn out. I don't ride anything rough enough off-road to warrant a full knobby and spend a lot of my time on the pavement, which is where I think the 244 really shines. It's very grippy and stable on pavement for a dual-sport tire.

Doesn't hurt that it's just about the cheapest tire you can get, either.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
afdfirefighter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
get the shinko 244s and stop thinking about it, amazon even has them for 1/2 the price of that duro tire. great all around tire and not to mention economical = no brainer

http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-244-Dua...rds=shinko+244

i ride 75% street 25% off road and these have been the best tires i found so far. grip excellent on road (feel like a street tire - very confidence inspiring) and more than adequate off road. they aren't a full knobby so dont ask them to grip very well in deep mud or sand but i have to say they excel on gravel, dirt and grass
Do you run these on the front and rear on your bike? What do you ride out of curiousity?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Irc tr8 front
Shinko 244 rear
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I think the reports of chunking with the 244s generally come from people running heavy ADV bikes. I've been running 244s on my DR350, which is about the same weight as the DRZ. I've had no chunking issues whatsoever and the treadwear has been good. I've got a bit over 3,000 miles on the current set and the rear still has just about 1/2 tread remaining. I expect to get about 5K out of the rear and will put another 244 on when it's worn out. I don't ride anything rough enough off-road to warrant a full knobby and spend a lot of my time on the pavement, which is where I think the 244 really shines. It's very grippy and stable on pavement for a dual-sport tire.

Doesn't hurt that it's just about the cheapest tire you can get, either.
No rear 244 issues here on my Dr.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
afdfirefighter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Irc tr8 front
Shinko 244 rear
How does that TR8 handle on the front? Looks to be a lot more of a knobby than others are running. Does it grip pretty well on the pavement?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
mts49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Irc tr8 front
Shinko 244 rear
This will be my next set of tires.

I have used the 244's in supermoto sizes on a DRZ-SM and I was very surprised with the level of grip onroad. Also ran 244's on an XT250 and was happy with their all around performance.

The reason for the TR8 recommendation for the front is to get more grip. The 244's leave a little to be desired for traction up front when offroad, especially wet or muddy...
mts49 is offline   Reply With Quote