Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
drewfuspx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Drew's 1990 Tengai Thread - Little Build, LOTS of pic's.

Alright so the pickup story is already stashed in a thread HERE "To Tengai or not to Tengai"

The following will be some of the modifications that I will be doing to make it something that I can really ride and get a little off the beaten path with. I do respect that the Tengai is pretty rare, and that almost anything plastic on the bike is basically un-placeable if I break it. But the bikes gotta be ridden!

This is my first Dual Sport/Adventure Bike and so I'll be doing a lot of learning, my previous bike was a ZX1000R Ninja so basically as far removed (Aside from old brittle plastics) from this new KLR as possible.

First thing was first, need to protect the bike, and tonight was install night!

Install Night!
Got the Happy Trails Skidplate on. Really simple install, the Tengai has some extra brackets at the front that got in the way a bit and required I mount it a bit lower but no problems. I also got the impact rubber kit but I could not get the skid plate on with the rubber in place there was not enough clearance. Not sure if that's a 'rubber to thick' or a weird Tengai issue. Anyone else had that issue with the HPT plate??

DirtRacks bars look good. Some of the welds aren't super clean, but for the price I cannot complain and literally perfect lineup, didn't require any flexing at all. Also these are some of the only guards that could be guaranteed to fit on a Tengai. The owner of Dirtracks wrote me when I inquired, he had access to a Tengai and so test fit and made some modifications for me and didn't charge me any extra. Really appreciative and I think they look great.

Also got the Happy Trails Centre Stand and it went on very straightforward and works super smooth. Only thing I noticed was that the kickstand rests against it and so I'll have to wrap a little tape or rubber there to keep them from making a bunch of noise.

Total install time was probably 2 hours, though we had to remove the stock Tengai lower fairing. I plan on riding this bike on some gravel and the stock lower fairing is just that ABS plastic and would definitely shatter.
Either way really stoked about how it all turned out. I have some more pics if people are interested. Can't wait for it not to be the middle of winter now!

Pics:
Pre: Modification the day I picked it up:

Tonights Post Installation pics:

So that's that. AS far as what's to come in the near future; I have the doohickey and so that will be something to do when the garage isn't 1ēC and I've got a set of Rigid Dually's that I would like to mount on the bike, did some testing tonight to see where they should fit, and actually it's going to be trickier than I thought. I am planning on applying plastip to the fairings/plastics to give them a nicer look and a little rubber protection. You'll have to wait to see the color. Since the bike sat for a few years before I got it I'm looking at new tubes for the tires and obviously all new fluids as well. LED Headlight from Cyclops when I get a chance as well. I think that's all for now. Will update hopefully sooner than later.

Big thanks to Dieselpete who's letting my lowly KLR share space with his mighty Bimmer in his garage as well as pulling some wrenches with me and enjoying a little Bushwakker Mead!

drewfuspx screwed with this post 01-17-2015 at 12:56 AM
drewfuspx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 812
Great Start.
Love your build. I posted some pics on your other thread.
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
THop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Always liked these, but i have never seen one in person. Good luck with the build, Sub'd
84 Nighthawk
THop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
drewfuspx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks Simba, saw the pics of yours. Bike looks great in Black! How did that lower fairing handle Utah??!

Thop, do you live in Calgary? Always fun to meet at Peter's Drive in with a bunch of other bikers.
drewfuspx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Hey Buddy, can't wait to see what color the 10gai ends up...

What about pulling the crash bars, welding a stud on each side for the lights?

This would keep the lights off the plastics in case of a crash.

Mind you, as you can touch the ground while seated on the 10, the sleepy bike issues will be less than my apnea suffering GS.