User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #61
Clayman18
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just threw down on a 99 640 enduro

Well I was hoping to purchase something 05 or later but this 99 caught my eye. Came with all the parts and service manuals has just over 12,000 miles. He has writen down all oil changes around 2500 miles and valve adj every 5000 miles they replaced shaft bearing at 4,000 miles. feeling good about it for just over 2,000 dollars. Although not liking silver.
Clayman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #62
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman18 View Post
Well I was hoping to purchase something 05 or later but this 99 caught my eye. Came with all the parts and service manuals has just over 12,000 miles. He has writen down all oil changes around 2500 miles and valve adj every 5000 miles they replaced shaft bearing at 4,000 miles. feeling good about it for just over 2,000 dollars. Although not liking silver.
Welcome Clay and good man.

Pictures?

A link to the workshop manual...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ual-98-a-35025

Make sure you get the tools!!

b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #63
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman18 View Post
Folks say painting them is not difficult; one fella even had his sprayed with bedliner...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #64
alsaasla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
hello guys
i was looking at a 640 adventure model 2002
but the engine number doesnt start with X * 858X *X X X X X X but instead 2*584*x x x x x x what does that mean ?
does it mean this one has a replaced engine from something else ?!!

the chase number i think is good
it goes like this vbkgsl402MXXXXXX
i got this info from this link http://support.ktm-parts.com/entries...fication-Chart
am i understanding something wrong here

in the hondas
there is an applicable starting number for the motor and chasis number for that exact year like in this page here
http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/frame.html

is there something like this in ktm also ?
i read many pages here and history changes but couldnt find anything yet
so maybe someone more informed tell me where to find such info

also how should i know which country is it from ?
i tried the online parts fische but it doesnt state the country of origin
alsaasla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #65
meat popsicle
Ignostic

alsaasla,

I don't know the serial number stuff.

You might try a good dealership (they should be able to check), or contact KTM North America directly.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #66
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Alsa,
I have an '02 Adventure.

chassis # VBKGSL4032M754962
engine # 2-584*34490*

Country of origin is Austria.

Does that help?

You should get an Owner's handbook.
Two parts manuals(one for chassis, one for the engine).
Two suspension manuals(fork and rear shock).

And a tool kit!!

Demand all that out of whoever is selling the machine or demand a lower price.

Anyone who steals/loses a toolkit or manuals is a moron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron

bill

Bill Shockley
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #67
alsaasla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
thnx a lot meat popsicle, but would a north america ktm be able to identify a non USA version ?
anyway i will try to contact them but i really wanted to understand the vin of ktm. i will keep searching anyway

bmwktmbill yeah that helped a lot at least now i know that the motor number i have is actually normal. it just doesnt make sense in my head
it says it should start 858

i really dont care for the manuals i already downloaded them
but the toolkit which he claims he didnt get when he bought the bike from another person is going to be deducted from the final price for sure :) that was my plan
btw what tank size you got on yours ?
the one i am looking at has 28L tank but the gas cap doesnt have a lock key ! is that normal?
its really important for me to be able to lock the gas cap, petrol is scarce here and kids like to experiment a lot . evil
alsaasla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #68
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaasla View Post
thnx a lot meat popsicle, but would a north america ktm be able to identify a non USA version ?
anyway i will try to contact them but i really wanted to understand the vin of ktm. i will keep searching anyway

I'm guessing they have access to all VINs via the Austrian division.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaasla View Post

bmwktmbill yeah that helped a lot at least now i know that the motor number i have is actually normal. it just doesnt make sense in my head
it says it should start 858

i really dont care for the manuals i already downloaded them
but the toolkit which he claims he didnt get when he bought the bike from another person is going to be deducted from the final price for sure :) that was my plan
btw what tank size you got on yours ?
the one i am looking at has 28L tank but the gas cap doesnt have a lock key ! is that normal?
its really important for me to be able to lock the gas cap, petrol is scarce here and kids like to experiment a lot . evil
Alsa, my 640 Adv has the 28L tank and no locking cap.
Not sure if one is available, perhaps another inmate could help us with that question?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #70
Goomicoo
Rubber Cow

Oddometer: 565
The goose that lays golden eggs has dropped another one on me this week.
It's a 2002 LC4 640 Black & Red with 650 miles! The guy didn't even bother to wash the dust off. He installed a new battery and had the carb cleaned in order to sell it and I rode it home . I want to change the oil ASAP as I can smell bad gas in the sump. Did these bike come with synthetic from the factory or was there a break in period with mineral oil? I wouldn't mind doing the clutch shaft bearing just because. It would be a shame to damage a virtually new LC4
Goomicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #71
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomicoo View Post
It's a 2002 LC4 640 Black & Red with 650 miles! The guy didn't even bother to wash the dust off. He installed a new battery and had the carb cleaned in order to sell it and I rode it home . I want to change the oil ASAP as I can smell bad gas in the sump. Did these bike come with synthetic from the factory or was there a break in period with mineral oil? I wouldn't mind doing the clutch shaft bearing just because. It would be a shame to damage a virtually new LC4
You lucked out on that find...
I've been using Rotella T 5/40 synthetic in my 640 for a long time with no issues, a very good oil at a decent price...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #72
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomicoo View Post
So what did you end paying for the 'golden egg'?
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #73
Goomicoo
Rubber Cow

Oddometer: 565
Not as much as I should have but more than I wanted to
Stay tuned as I don't tend to keep bikes for very long. Although this one's a keeper
Goomicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #74
Aussie Jase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Getting back In the saddle

I sadly parted wifh my 640 adv (and XR 400R and XL 250) a few years back due to moving to the city. I killed the LC4 on a long dirt trip (that trans bearing failure - if you search you may find my original posts about the trip and the death of the motor) replaced the motor, upgraded to hydraulic clutch and was a happy owner (until I moved and sold up).

After about 3 years without my bikes I am now looking at 640Advs again (moved to the country) and all the bikes are plane trips away. Before laying my cash on flights can anyone tell me if a hi flo grey motor on an LC4 guarantees that the bike was released with the upgraded roller bearing or is this potentially a case of just the head upgraded. I recall my original LC4 was a black motor.
I have trawled a number of posts and some are not sure on the 03 model bearing status (one bike under consideration is an 03).
Thanks in advance.
Also any idea on what sort of miles major work is expected on any LC4 (assuming the bike was serviced by someone who cares during it's life)?
Jase
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #75
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Jase View Post
Before laying my cash on flights can anyone tell me if a hi flo grey motor on an LC4 guarantees that the bike was released with the upgraded roller bearing or is this potentially a case of just the head upgraded. I recall my original LC4 was a black motor.
I have trawled a number of posts and some are not sure on the 03 model bearing status (one bike under consideration is an 03).
Thanks in advance.
Also any idea on what sort of miles major work is expected on any LC4 (assuming the bike was serviced by someone who cares during it's life)?
Jase
Nope my old 2001 LC4 was a Grey High FLo motor and it was originally equipped with the old bearing but was fortunately upgraded to the Roller Bearing before I purchased it. It's really not that big of a deal to replace the bearing from what I've read up on it. In the old LC4 thread I believe it referenced what years/vins were affected and how to replace the bearing (Without splitting the cases). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

To me it's more important to find a well taken care of, good bike than whether or not it has the roller bearing. Sure the job is a bit of a PITA but hey it's maybe $100 to DIY.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote